A great example of how online purchasing of MTB E-BIKE can be good for you and your local bike shop.

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Interestingly, I was watching a GMBN video the other day where they were discussing buying bikes directly on line (IIRC, they were being called out on often seeming to like/recommend Canyon (direct sales only) while in the next breath saying 'support your LBS').
They also took the view of buying on line and getting the LBS to service your bike was great for ALL involved.
Don't think any of the GMBN presenters run bike shops (online or LBS) do they?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have supported (spent my money at) two bike shops and both have now gone so am on my third... should I warn them?
Hopefully it won't end up like electrical items.. times past if we needed a new telly or fridge we would have a Saturday afternoon ride out to have a look at a few outlets.. now it's currys/pc world unless you can find a small independent still in business.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I have supported (spent my money at) two bike shops and both have now gone so am on my third... should I warn them?
Hopefully it won't end up like electrical items.. times past if we needed a new telly or fridge we would have a Saturday afternoon ride out to have a look at a few outlets.. now it's currys/pc world unless you can find a small independent still in business.
I tell you a story. Last Thursday, I had to get a license for Windows 2016 Essentials for one of my customers (I sell PC stuff besides e-bikes), my buy price is £235 + delivery + VAT, PC World sells it for £262 + VAT. It is just not worth my time ordering and billing customers for £20 profit. It's all like that, I get my customers to order their PCs and servers directly from Dell. The only assembly I do is for PCs running Linux, even then, it's only profitable for orders of 20 pieces or more. For single order, printers and stuff, it's direct online ordering with the big retailers. It's now services only for many years.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I tell you a story. Last Thursday, I had to get a license for Windows 2016 Essentials for one of my customers (I sell PC stuff besides e-bikes), my buy price is £235 + delivery + VAT, PC World sells it for £262 + VAT. It is just not worth my time ordering and billing customers for £20 profit. It's all like that, I get my customers to order their PCs and servers directly from Dell. The only assembly I do is for PCs running Linux, even then, it's only profitable for orders of 20 pieces or more. For single order, printers and stuff, it's direct online ordering with the big retailers. I made the money with services.
I think pc stuff is a bad example as everywhere you go there are small computer shops. The small shops have a lot of expertise whereas at pc world you are likely to be helped by someone who is mire interested in selling you a warranty.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I tell you a story. Last Thursday, I had to get a license for Windows 2016 Essentials for one of my customers (I sell PC stuff besides e-bikes), my buy price is £235 + delivery + VAT, PC World sells it for £262 + VAT. It is just not worth my time ordering and billing customers for £20 profit. It's all like that, I get my customers to order their PCs and servers directly from Dell. The only assembly I do is for PCs running Linux, even then, it's only profitable for orders of 20 pieces or more. For single order, printers and stuff, it's direct online ordering with the big retailers. It's now services only for many years.
you got any cheap ddr4 ram and nvme drives and 1080 tis kicking about :D

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I think pc stuff is a bad example as everywhere you go there are small computer shops. The small shops have a lot of expertise whereas at pc world you are likely to be helped by someone who is mire interested in selling you a warranty.
it's a good parallel though. When a product becomes comoditised, the big boys will get the volume discount and free delivery, the smaller guys have to get out of the way to survive. I reckon we lose 6% of bike shops year on year just because of online purchases. If anyone reading this and running a bike shop and consider closing, do think about offering conversion service.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you got any cheap ddr4 ram and nvme drives and 1080 tis kicking about :D
possibly. Email andy, he is like me, switching between PCs.and e-bikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
128GB (8x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black PC4-24000 (3000), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-36, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
£1519.49

like wtf the price seems to have gone up well over 100% in 18 months! and it is not stopping either :(

Doomanic

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2017
uk
Brexit innit.

But I know what you mean. I built my lad a gaming PC a couple of months ago. The RAM was 120 quid, now it's 200!:eek:

Related Articles

Advertisers