A new convert

SportRider

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2012
West Sussex
Having recently been infected by the ebike virus carrier known on this forum as Eaglerider, I just thought I'd drop in and say hello from West Sussex.

Having not bothered with any other form of two-wheeled transport other than motorcycles since I was 16, I was intrigued but initially sceptical when Eaglerider invited me to swing my leg over his Freego some months back.

Half-way up the hill from the pub, my scepticism segued into one of those eureka moments as a 17ah spark of realisation shot down countless axons and completely fried most of my small brain's synaptic terminals.

It wasn't long before a shiny new Kudos Sport was being liberated from its packaging, and thence unleashed on the unsuspecting roads of West Sussex.

To say I was delighted doesn't really cut it. I had rediscovered the joys of cycling!

I quickly adopted the persona and effulgent gaze of the ebike evangelist, and set out to convert everyone I knew (and many I didn't) to the path of righteousness. Thus far, I have managed to fully convert two people, and a further 7 or 8 are unwitting carriers of the e-pathogen. Little do they know it, but it is only a matter of time before they succumb.

Living in the middle of nowhere, I soon began heading off into the wilderness to discover the sweet fruits contained therein, and began grazing on them with gusto.

It quickly became apparent that, although the Kudos was excellent for general road use, off road wasn't its natural habitat, so I started looking around for a more suitable alternative.

To cut a long story short, a mate and I found ourselves heading up to Xipi bikes in Banbury, where we spent a most excellent day in the company of Frank and Bob, test riding their offerings.

I enjoyed another 'eureka moment', and immediately purchased a Stealth (my mate went for the Comp). I was particularly impressed by the centrally positioned battery, which makes a lot of sense in terms of weight distribution and handling, and, of course, the extra power available in off-road mode – very useful on steep ascents, and a hell of a lot of fun.

A full report will follow in due course!

IMAG0049.jpgIMAG0050.jpg

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
Having recently been infected by the ebike virus carrier known on this forum as Eaglerider,
Wasn't me, the doctor said I was all clear! Regular vaccinations of ebike riding have cured me completely.

Welcome to the forum Sportrider, those bikes look rather nice. I shall indeed look forward to a detailed and comprehensive test report, as these bikes have not been reviewed on here and it would be nice to get a full perspective.

SportRider

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2012
West Sussex
Wasn't me, the doctor said I was all clear! Regular vaccinations of ebike riding have cured me completely.

Welcome to the forum Sportrider, those bikes look rather nice. I shall indeed look forward to a detailed and comprehensive test report, as these bikes have not been reviewed on here and it would be nice to get a full perspective.
Thanks for the welcome! I was beginning to feel all alone and ignored... ;)

I'm currently putting in around 25 miles a day, so will wait until I've covered around 250 miles or so to let everything bed in before filing an initial (but detailed and comprehensive) report.

In the meantime, what I can tell you is that every time I go out for a ride I'm blown away by how much fun this bike is.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Welcome to e-biking Sportrider, you've done well to completely convert two others to e-biking so quickly. We all evangelise but far too often the real interest shown doesn't turn into purchasing an e-bike. Hope you get years of pleasure from your new e-bike.

SportRider

Pedelecer
Jul 11, 2012
West Sussex
Thanks flecc. I was particularly impressed as one of them was my ex wife, and the other was one of the tightest people I know (though a good mate). One go on my Kudos was enough to convince them.

As mentioned above, it was the same for me. I had one go on a mate's bike and that was it - I HAD to have one.

I think it's the same for many. While there will always be those that don't 'get' the concept, there is no shortage of people out there that require just the slightest of nudges.

It's all about spreading the word, but more than that, l think you have to let people have a go. Mention in the pub that you have an electric bicycle and you're regarded with deep suspicion. But take people outside for a go and it's a different story.

For example, my tight mate took his Xipi up to a gliding competition in Bicester recently, where it quickly became the vehicle of choice for looning around the airfield and generally having a good time. While he was a bit miffed that there were days when he saw little of it himself, he reckons a good five people became seriously infected as a result.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I do that too, letting have a go, but still no luck. In my area there's very little cycling outside of the club sport types and it's very hilly so leaving a need for plenty of pedal effort too, putting off many. In fact e-bikes are as rare as hen's teeth in my area so it's not just me!