A new lease of life with electric, thought my days were up!

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Hi, I'm not one for always looking for the easy way out, I have tough physical background which has really been the cause of my knees going, commando training, rugby, squash, skiing and running with heavy kit have now taken their toll on me, I'm middle to late fifties with a 6yr old! and as she is now a great little cycler needed to be able to keep up!

I did some research and have gone for a Smart eBike, main reason being the warranty and network to get it serviced or fixed, the other factors were the battery power and distance it could be used on and lastly the quality of the motor and components. There are so many bike to choose from its a minefield so I played safe, there is something out there for everyone so its an exciting journey as you search for YOUR preferred option.

I hope to get some inspiration from others on here and get out more, I had a year where I was pretty much unable to walk, I had an operation and am now on the mend, as best I can get, but need to shed a few kg's that crept on whist immobile. I will have a good look around the forum but any tips for building up the miles would be great, my bike has a negative mode that lets you recharge the battery as you cycle, it can be used going downhill or on the fact if you want a bit of a workout, it has 4 levels up and 4 levels negative/recharging.

There is great knowledge on here which I read and led to me to giving in and buying the bike, I could see that it wasn't just poncy people that rode them, and they were in fact a great way of getting back out onto the road and upping your fitness levels. I must say it is the best thing I have done for years, anyone sitting on the fence like I was on whether to go electric, I suggest you get out and try one, you will be amazed! especially if your mind is still young but your body can't keep up with it :)

Cheers,

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Smart (!), welcome to the forum.
I too have dodgy knees, although not as bad as yours, they can catch me out without warning.
I have a front hub conversion that has PAS and a throttle. If my knees do start playing up I can ease back on the effort and merely rotate the pedals and keep going. If things get really bad I can get home on the throttle.
Before I did the conversion I was cycling 2 or 3 times a year - literally (West Wales is very curvy!) now I'm getting out 2 or 3 times a week, doing between 15 and 25 miles. After a year I still get the e-bike grin as I climb the latest
Col d'Burnyalegsoff.
My tip for building up the miles - get the O.S. map out and find every road you've never been down. You'll soon find you're ignoring the contours and thinking only about battery range.