A working dongle - at last

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
That is 40mph on my cycle iPhone app fairly sure it's withing say .2mph
Have you viewed the badass site to see if they will ship to Australia
Ps tonight's top gear comes from Australia though they seem to be missing badass dongles on their cars

PatMcrotch

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 4, 2015
That is 40mph on my cycle iPhone app fairly sure it's withing say .2mph
Have you viewed the badass site to see if they will ship to Australia
Ps tonight's top gear comes from Australia though they seem to be missing badass dongles on their cars
Ive already got the badass dongle.

The gearing on my fullnine sduro doesn't allow me to get much over 40km/hour. My legs are doing a roadrunner even at that speed.

I amazed that you are getting 65km/hour!

Are you pedeling at that speed?

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
You won't get that speed by pedalling as you know my haibike only has a 9 speed and mountain bike gearing, steep hill is required though not a lot of effort.
I think if you wish for plain out speed with the dongle fitted you either need to increase the size of the front ring gear or go for a double clanger arrangement.

Looks like the sduro range have the fittings ready to accomplish this.

I must say I'm delighted with mine as is, though a higher final touring gear,between trails would be nice, maybe splitting hairs here.

With the standard gearing mine cruises at 22mph in MED without too much effort, slightest hill and you would need to go to HIGH.

I feel most cycling on road is at between 15 and 20mph and the dongles just make it that bit easier without it becoming a motorcycle.

Reactions: PatMcrotch

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I can pedal my bike to 39 mph downhill, that's above any motor assistance I have.

Reactions: martinb

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
I think it's x3 15mph so in theory it won't cut out until 45mph?
There will be others much wiser here who will know the facts.

Fairly sure that 70nm and 400watts are not going to be much help over 40 and mines not geared for speed.

But it's great FUN all round at any speed...........four punctures in just over two weeks is irritating.

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
I think it's x3 15mph so in theory it won't cut out until 45mph?
There will be others much wiser here who will know the facts.

Fairly sure that 70nm and 400watts are not going to be much help over 40 and mines not geared for speed.

But it's great FUN all round at any speed...........four punctures in just over two weeks is irritating.
go tubeless not had a puncture in 2 years so what your saying is its always assisting you must kill the battery

Reactions: martinb

martinb

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Leicestershire
Not thought about the battery.

Tubeless maybe worth considering. Three punctures from thorns here on leicestershire byways and bridle paths tow paths all thorns and one pinch type from down hill rocky path.
Not sure tubeless would have coped with the thorns as they get though motocross tyres with heavy duty tubes occasionally.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
go tubeless not had a puncture in 2 years so what your saying is its always assisting you must kill the battery
Depends what you mean by 'kill'.

The Bosch system is always on, so you are always using the battery, whatever speed you are doing.

Going fast uses lots more juice - that's an ebike truism.

The battery management system is designed to prevent harm to the battery.

It's not bypassed by the dongle, so using a dongle causes no harm to the battery.

TinKitten

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2014
Abergavenny
www.pottylou.co.uk

Tubeless maybe worth considering. Three punctures from thorns here on Leicestershire byways and bridle paths tow paths all thorns and one pinch type from down hill rocky path.
Not sure tubeless would have coped with the thorns as they get though motocross tyres with heavy duty tubes occasionally.
The gunk in the tyre should solidify and plug any holes from thorns. I'm running Slime in my inner tubes which has worked for me so far but I am seriously considering going tubeless as I am not confident at all about dealing with a puncture on a mountain top on my own in the middle of nowhere. Everything I have read about tubeless is very positive, with the first mountain biker I met locally recommending Stans No Tubes.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The only experience I have with tubeless on bikes was attempting to help someone with a deflated (tubless) tyre.
We end up having to put a tube in.

If I remember correctly, motor car tubless were not that good in the early days, most of us sticking to tubed tyres. Seems most alien now.

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
Depends what you mean by 'kill'.

The Bosch system is always on, so you are always using the battery, whatever speed you are doing.

Going fast uses lots more juice - that's an ebike truism.

The battery management system is designed to prevent harm to the battery.

It's not bypassed by the dongle, so using a dongle causes no harm to the battery.
without a dongle over 16mph your not getting any assistance from the motor so with a dongle on you are getting assistance all the time which must drain the battery as for going faster the faster you go the less the system assist you that's my understanding of it.

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015

Tubeless maybe worth considering. Three punctures from thorns here on leicestershire byways and bridle paths tow paths all thorns and one pinch type from down hill rocky path.
a good tubeless sealent like joes seals holes up to 5mm instantly so thorns no problem first thing I did when I got my all mtn pro was take the tubes out before I even rode it

Reactions: PatMcrotch

braylew

Pedelecer
Jan 28, 2015
The gunk in the tyre should solidify and plug any holes from thorns. I'm running Slime in my inner tubes which has worked for me so far but I am seriously considering going tubeless as I am not confident at all about dealing with a puncture on a mountain top on my own in the middle of nowhere. Everything I have read about tubeless is very positive, with the first mountain biker I met locally recommending Stans No Tubes.
I would 100% recommend going tubeless joes eco sealent is better than stans when I go on a ride never even give a thought that I might get a flat which I haven't in 2 years 3000 miles all off road

Reactions: TinKitten

Advertisers