Advice for an old arthritic fatty

Concs

Just Joined
Dec 26, 2020
Hello. Short time reader first time poster.
I could use some advice. Firstly, be aware I’m not a tinkerer, and have arthritis so won’t be able to do work in my bike myself.
I’m the happy owner of a brompton and a Pashley Britannia. But arthritis and injury have led to pain and unfitness and weight gain so I’m struggling.
I miss cycling outdoors and think I need a boost to help me get up hills around home, because they put me off going very far so I give myself the excuse not to go at all!

I would love to be able to fit a mid crank to the Pashley but I’ve only seen it in New Zealand and wouldn’t be able to do myself.
Should I just go for a cheap electric (I’m thinking Pendleton)
Or try and find someone to do the Pashley?

advice much appreciated

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
If you're an arthritic fatty, you'll need a hub-motor system that can give out some decent torque. The Pendleton probably wouldn't be suitable. The Woosh Big Bear ls would be pretty good if they have any left, and it's very comfortable, though quite heavy, otherwise check Ebay for 48v bikes - not the type with large 500w, 750w or 1000w direct drive motors.

I don't think you'd like a crank-drive bike because they're not as user friendly. A BBS01/02 could work, but you've got to figure out how to mount the battery

Reactions: Concs

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Few weeks ago I fitted a Tongshen crank drive to Daughter's cube.. You can specify bottom bracket width and the standard one does accommodate a wide spread of bottom bracket widths. You, d have to check with suppliers regards which kit you need.
I was amazed how simple kit was to fit and suspect if you are on heavy side you would appreciate the extra torque (at back wheel) Crank Drives give. Tongshen I fitted was 500w/48v and performance wise it's pretty identical to my Haibike (in theory 250w) but quieter. Removing the old bottom bracket was longest job.
I paid just under £500 for kit but specified 600wh battery, which is actually overkill. Daughter pulls kids trailer with 2 offspring in it and reckons she could do 30 miles or so.? (last trip we did 18 miles and she had used only 40% and that's towing a big 3 Yr old and a 6 month baby)
Couldn't recommend Tongshen kit more. Fantastic. I took risk and got Chinese sourced one but both UK stocked and Chinese sourced ones are on ebay. Delivery did take a while tho and came in two deliveries. (battery separately)
Go on ebay. Don't be afraid of build... Its easy. Didn't even have to split chain. Personally think crank drives are easier to fit than rear hub... With rear hub you have gears / Mech to sort. Swapping bottom bracket for one with built in motor is a doddle. Did it in 40 mins...
Battery mounting simply bolted to water bottle mount. No problem. But check your bike, previous kit I did I put a couple of rivnuts in frame to carry battery but wasn't needed on Cube. Made a fantastic bike.

Reactions: Concs