Advice please for a "commuter bike"

Artov

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 9, 2017
cambridgeshire
Well I have taken the plunge and ordered a Woosh Zephyr B. I can go cross country to a nearby town for a beer at weekends which costs me £12 in taxi fares at the moment. I can see a potential 10km route to work mostly on a bridleway which would be ideal. I had twice tried to contact GTECH through their website to find out more about their e-scent mountain bike and didn't get a reply. Woosh came back to me straight away hence me buying the Zephyr. One week to go!

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I would disagree . Machines like the Bosch powered Raleigh Motus , and similar level at the 2k mark will have no difficulty in doing a 20 mile round trip at full assist and still have a lot left in the tank. I will get 20km up and down moderate hill at 20% to 30% of 400whr consumption. It will depend on whether this is urban ( multiple start stops) or rural , suburban ( more wind) , but in the latter a 10 mile journey should take 45 minutes.
Traffic (found and tested out of peak period several times ) in middle urban (not city) traffic reduces a cyclist speed to average of 12 mph going full whack. It is the cars or pedestrians that stop full speed. 10 miles will take more like an hour. Car might take 40 minutes though.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Traffic (found and tested out of peak period several times ) in middle urban (not city) traffic reduces a cyclist speed to average of 12 mph going full whack. It is the cars or pedestrians that stop full speed. 10 miles will take more like an hour. Car might take 40 minutes though.
We basically agree.
10/12 x 60 would give a time of 50 minutes . Not far off my estimate . An electric bike would be slightly quicker off the mark than a conventional bike . Will of course depend on the number of roundabouts and traffic lights, depending on the topography, might well beat a car over 10 miles
The actual intention in my posting was to indicate that a 20 mile round trip was highly feasible with a good e bike

Perseus

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
We basically agree.
10/12 x 60 would give a time of 50 minutes . Not far off my estimate . An electric bike would be slightly quicker off the mark than a conventional bike . Will of course depend on the number of roundabouts and traffic lights, depending on the topography, might well beat a car over 10 miles
The actual intention in my posting was to indicate that a 20 mile round trip was highly feasible with a good e bike
Depends on the route which is best. Ebikes can use cycle paths away from the motorised traffic. In the Shoreham are where 50Cycles have got a shop the routes are amenable ot cyclists more than mopeds. Not so much so in Brighton to the east where the traffic of all sorts is murder. I would recommend cycling the route on an ordinary bike before taking the plunge. We can't take the bikes on the train in peak periods. Yesterday was Gale 7 gusting to 10, I caught the bus for a 16 mile round trip and I would have done with an ebike as well because of the rain. English weather. Quicker by bus even with the waiting times. No hard and fast rules. Bikes are more fun if traffic and weather allows.

I was planning the routes today. Just not quite sure which ebike to get quite yet. Because of the lots of cyclepaths, ebikes seem a better bet for me.