Advice Please! New Folding Elec-Tri-Cycle!

Jmw

Just Joined
Oct 16, 2014
Hi all,

I'm new to this site, and happy to find this great place with many electric cycling fans! I would be very grateful if you could advise on possible routes to licensing out my father's invention of a Folding ElecTriCycle (well, that's how I call it for now...)

It all started when my father unfortunately broke his leg a couple years ago. He was a chef design Director of a big company, and one day was tripped over when testing a new stage property :-( Although eventually managed standing on his feet, he can't walk freely as he used to. He then invented a Folding Electricycle, which can be folded into a suitcase for easy storage putting in car boot or taking on bus/tube for longer journey. It can also be folded into a chair to sit on and rest.

My father used it when going on holiday with us, and there have been tremendous interests from people who saw how it worked. Many asked where to buy and how much it costs... When people heard it's the only one in the world, they all said it should be manufactured to benefit more people! Some even left their contact details to me, and asked me to contact them when possible to buy.

As neither my father or myself is business-minded, we think the best thing to do is to sell or license it out to someone who is able to turn it into product quickly. However, I find it very hard to get the right channel to identify licensees. I would really like to know if you have any suggestions or advices on this! We have patent already granted in China, and PCT for international protection. Thank you very much in advance!

I have attached 3 photos to show how it looks like when riding as a tricycle; sitting as a chair; and folding as suitcase. It looks very unattractive for now, as we could only use whatever we found from eBay to build it. It is just a simple prototype demonstrating folding concept. However, it can be easily transferred into a posh looking luxury in the right hands. For those who are interested in seeing it in action, please follow the link below:

Ride.jpg chair.jpg suitcase.jpg

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You have a few issues already here I'm afraid

1) it's not a bicycle or tricycle by European law . You cannot pedal it unpowered it so cannot be one..

2) is it a mobility scooter ? In whi
case they are legally limited to 4mph on pavements

3) if it is neither of the above then it is a motorbike and will need to adhere to the rules and standards applicable to any road going motorbike. Owners would also need to insure it, register it, show number plates , wear helmets etc.

I think you need to do more thinking about where you want this to sit in the marketplace in Europe and redesign accordingly

Looks like fun mind ! My dad would find use for one on his boat for zipping around marinas

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I think that the value to the licensee depends very much on which technical aspect(s) your patent was granted. If it covers a particular and critical way of the fold that the suitcase must have, then it has a lot of appeal. If it's just the special fold of the steering column that you have come up with, then I am afraid it won't have much appeal.
There is always an alternative to straight licensing, you can go into partnership with an e-bike brand on the basis of profit sharing. You bring in intellectual property and expertise, the brand brings in contacts, capital and marketing skills.
As Kirstin has already pointed out, the suitcase does not have cranks. To tap into the existing market for pedelecs, you need to add a non motorised mean of turning the wheels.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Look up travelscoot similar concept but very light and folds tiny.
Old version to give an idea, current version is 16 kg with battery.

Last edited: