Affordable substitute for a Busch and Muller front light

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
All the damage caused to my Technium/Agattu has come from carrying the bike on the car rack. And that's how I managed to break the front light (shimano dynamo). Looking for a replacement has been salutory in that the cheapest Busch and Muller replacements seem to be £25 upwards (steeply upwards) but couple of days ago I found a "Smart BL120 HGO" which I've just fitted. It looks ok, seems well made, is switched for front and rear, fits directly on to the bracket from the original light and cost £9 delivered from parkers-bolton.
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Nice find. Thingaby, whats the story with your Technium/Agattu? .. How long have you had it and where did you get it? .,... Can you share the spec? ...how many miles have you done? ... Have you got any photos? ... Is there a lot of re-badging of Kalkhoffs? ..
Also, what car rack do you have? .. How come you broke your light? ...

thingaby

Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2008
Hi Kitchenman
These bikes were first spotted on this forum by Saggitarius on 23rd May 2008. There is a photo in his post (search Technium). HarryB alerted us to the fact that Wiggle was selling them for less than £900 around June last year and that is when I got mine. I think Flecc said it was a remarkable bargain - and that was good enough for me. Somebody on the forum did a comparison of the spec. vis s vis an Agattu. Minor differences. I think the consensus view was that the Technium re-badging was a run out of the old model Agattu. Shimano 7 speed hub rather than the newer 8 speed.
I've just done over 1000 miles. Compared to any other bike I have ridden it's a Rolls Royce. A very good purchase and I'm looking forward to putting some serious miles on the clock now I've retired.
The damage I've caused comes from the 'false' crossbar I have to use to mount the step through frame on a cycle hanger carrier. Being a large profile downtube on the bike has brought sharp edged metal of the temporary crossbar into contact with the paintwork and scratched it. The damage to the original light was caused by over tightening of the retaining straps causing the light to be stressed against the carrier over a 50 mile journey. With the replacement light I've made it easy to take off for future trips on the carrier.
all the best - steve

C

Cyclezee

Hi Kitchenman,

I also bought a Technium and confirm what Thingaby had to say, the bargain of 2010.
As soon as I got mine I sold the battery and put the bike away for a rainy day.
Apart from riding it on a couple of occasions, I kept it stored until the motor died on my sons Agattu.
Now I have fitted a replacement motor to the Agattu, the Technium is cleaned to showroom condition and back into storage again.