Alfine Testicles

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Does anyone here suffer from Alfine Testicles? Let me explain:

Four sets of circumstances need to conspire in order to present a risk of Alfine Testicles. Firstly, the rider needs to posses a testicle or set of testicles. Secondly, the bicycle must have a crossbar. Next, the bicycle must be fitted with a Shimano Alfine or Nexus 8 speed hub gear. Finally, the ambient temperature must be -4 degrees centigrade or below. If all of these conditions are satisfied, then you are at risk. If not, you are not at risk and may refrain from reading any further.

The circumstances outlined above, will at some time, connive and hatch a terrible plot to collide your testicles, at great velocity, with the bicycle cross bar. It works like this:

At or below -4 degrees centigrade, the grease within the hub gear will increase in viscosity to the point where the internal spring is unable to move the mechanism to any gear ratio lower than 5th gear. Moving the shifter to a lower gear will be futile as the cable will just become slack due to the internal spring being unable to move the gear mechanism through the thick grease.

When the rider approaches a steep hill, the four elements jump into action, fixing the bicycle in 5th gear. The rider desperately deploys the gear shifter, hoping by some miracle that 2nd or 3rd gear can be selected. It’s hopeless, the gears aren’t going to yield. Pressure is building on the pedals. The rider is now out of the saddle, clawing for every inch of ascent before having to surrender. Then the hub gear does it’s insidious work, allowing the selector to move through the grease. But only by a carefully measured fraction though. This is just enough to cause the gears to slip with a loud and displeasing bang. This is a bang which is only surpassed in volume by the tormented screams of a gentleman bringing the full weight of his torso to bear upon his testicles.

And this is how Alfine Testicles are formed.

I’m off to visit the nurse now to see if anything can be done.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, an old problem with hub gears, but worse many years ago when a hub gear could have a few false neutrals which could appear at any time regardless of ambient temperature.

We used to ensure that the weight was instantly available on both pedals to avoid the painful collision, never totally relaxing the trailing foot contact with it's pedal.

It's a good discipline to fractionally back pedal at hub-gear changes instead of just relaxing the pedal pressure. Doing that on an unpowered or hub-motor bike assists the gear change, though that doesn't happen on a Panasonic unit due to it's triple freewheel system, but in all cases the resulting maintenance of good trailing pedal contact provides for the instant reaction necessary to avoid the false neutral physical punishment.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I haven't ridden since Tuesday so haven't experienced this yet. This could be a big problem, is there any way to correct it?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Ride a girls bike? Thereby said testicles will avoid contact with hard unyielding alloy :D

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I haven't ridden since Tuesday so haven't experienced this yet. This could be a big problem, is there any way to correct it?
I haven't found a way. It has happened in previous years, but I had forgotten about it until today. I usually get around the issue by stopping, selecting first gear on the handlebar shifter and manually rotating the selector ring on the hub to first gear. The gears work ok coming up the range as the hub selector relies on the cable pulling it rather than the internal spring moving it.

This has happened on both 8 speed hubs that I have owned, occurring at around -4 deg C in both cases. When I arrived at work this morning, I put the bike next to a radiator, and the gears had freed up within a few minutes. Thankfully, this only happens at very low temperature, which it was this morning.

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
Ball-breaking is the least of your problems. I've watched other people do all manner of nasties when an old Sturmey Archer gear hub found a false neutral while standing on the pedals. Having a foot slip off a pedal when standing up is no fun. And as we all know bicycles are covered in bits that have an uncanny nack of digging into us when things go wrong. Even something as simple as swinging a leg over a bike with a rear basket can lead to painfully scraped shins.

Let's all be careful out there!

wurly

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2008
Yeovil, Somerset
Ah yes!
'Sturmey Archer testicles'....i remember suffering that on more than a few occasions. But being a young lad at the time didn't make it quite so severe as it might be now.....if you know what i mean. Not had any experiance of Alfine testicles though.....luckily. 'spose i the older i get the less important it might be.......especially at -4 degrees.

Last edited:

LafRo

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2010

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Happened to me last week. Hit the crossbar of my Tasman with an almighty thump.

Didn't hurt but it's put a nasty dent in the bar.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
When the wife says " fancy an early night dear" Not tonight dear, it was -4 on the ride home tonight:D

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
Happened to me last week. Hit the crossbar of my Tasman with an almighty thump.

Didn't hurt but it's put a nasty dent in the bar.
Ouch.
A mate of mine left a similar dent in in his petrol tank - called him Iron Balls after that.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Excellent! That really cracked me up tillson :D