Batribike`s longest trip

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Did 18 miles on a mixture of B roads and country roads this afternoon. It was a bit nippy with a 15 mph wind from the East , but motorcycle gloves and two pairs of trousers kept the cold at bay . I only saw 3 other cyclists and two horse riders and my battery powered horn got me noticed without the horses bolting . At the end of my trip I stopped to watch a Thomson 757 taking off at Cardiff Airport and it was airborne in half of the 8000 ft. runway into the stiff wind . It was going to Chambery , perhaps the weather was warmer there ! On the way back and up the slope into the wind I only used medium assist and finished the trip with 3 of the 4 diodes still showing on the handlebar unit . I carried my Holux GPS which registered 17.78 miles ,max. speed of 24 mph down a slope , my height variation was 187+ or- 62 ft , I had used 1261 cals and saved 14.9 lb. of CO2 ! I must admit these Ebikes certainly double you normal cycling range for very little effort .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
A trip too far

Set out for another 16 mile round trip this morning without charging the battery from the previous 18 mile ride . The ride was into a chilly 15 mph wind which required more medium assist and before setting out I knew it would be a close call . At the 33 mile mark the motor started cutting in and out and I stopped at the local supermarket for 10 minutes . It revitalised and I was now suffering from range anxiety and after another mile it failed . Unfortunately the last mile had the big hill and I had to push to the top .I now appreciate the low gearing as I completed the trip in 2nd and 5th gears out of 7 and the wind was helping !
My Batribike Quartz SE Folder is the one with the 8Ah battery which was on offer for £100 cheaper than the 10Ah model .
On my trip I passed half a dozen cyclists and one Ebike Folder with a miserable old git riding it who didn`t even raise a smile , perhaps he had run out of power and was feeling grumpy !
Anyway I now know the useable battery range of my machine , so after 25 miles of riding it would be wise to charge !