Battery prob on my Torq1

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Oh dear!

My new (to me) Torq - for which I have already received valuable help on here - does have a battery problem, I think.

Having serviced the Bafang motor, tidied up the wiring, de-restricted it etc I took it out for its first proper ride this morning.

Within half a mile the controller was cutting the battery out:( I continue my journey of about 9 miles in total and it wasn't a pleasant experience - the motor running for about 5 seconds then cutting out for maybe a minute or so (during which time the drag on the motor giving the same effect as climbing a steep hill!)

On the handlebar mounted battery condition lights the green light stays on all the time. Under power the red comes on and for the first couple of hundred yards went off as power was eased off. Whilst the red is on the green is on as well. This is different to my wife's Liv where, as the battery runs down, the green is on, then it goes off and the amber comes on etc.

Does this indicate there may be some wiring issues with the Torq rather than a duff battery? (he says hopefully!)

BTW, the battery is on charge at the moment and is still taking charge after 3 hours.

Any other advice anyone? Thanks, Dave

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Duff battery.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, confirmed as NRG says, that sort of battery cut-out common on this Torq 1 high current drain system. With the early not very good batteries I got through 3 in 14 months.

With one of the very much better new 14 Ah batteries it will fly. :)

averhamdave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2009
Thanks. I didn't pay much for the bike, as I think it had been laid up for quite a while. I'm going to ask for my money back but if I draw a blank, then new battery it will be.:(