Battery problem

Ivor C

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Bristol and France
We have 2 electric bikes, both using identical batteries, at our holiday home.
We bought them 6 years ago, and we cycle on them for 3 months each year.
Each time we arrive we top up the batteries from round about 3 lights on the indicator upto the maximum of 5.
After charging them, as usual, I used my bike for a short trip.
The day afer I put my battery on my wife's bike and her battery onto my bike. I have done this several times before as the batteries are identical, except for colour.
Her battery is now dead. At first I thought my bike had shorted her battery, but I have since put my battery onto my bike without any problem.
Has any one else had a similar problem?
Is there a chance that my bike did short her battery and it is an intermittent problem?

D

Deleted member 4366

Check it's fuse.
It's difficult to help without knowing what you have.

Ivor C

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Bristol and France
Thanks for your message.
It's a 15Ah 540Wh 36v Derby Cycle Impulse battery which came with my Kalkhoff Agattu. As far as I know it does not have a fuse

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
We have 2 electric bikes, both using identical batteries, at our holiday home.
We bought them 6 years ago, and we cycle on them for 3 months each year.
Each time we arrive we top up the batteries from round about 3 lights on the indicator upto the maximum of 5.
After charging them, as usual, I used my bike for a short trip.
The day afer I put my battery on my wife's bike and her battery onto my bike. I have done this several times before as the batteries are identical, except for colour.
Her battery is now dead. At first I thought my bike had shorted her battery, but I have since put my battery onto my bike without any problem.
Has any one else had a similar problem?
Is there a chance that my bike did short her battery and it is an intermittent problem?
Does her bike work with her battery and or does it work with your your battery?
It is always possible that you inadvertently shorted the battery pack. But had it properly shorted it would have basically exploded. So there is most likely an internal fuse within the battery pack. So unfortunately you might need to open up the battery casing

Ivor C

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Bristol and France
Thanks for your reply.
No lights come on her battery, and it does not work on either bike. At the moment she is using my battery, and I am getting more exercise on my non-electric bike.
I may try opening up the battery.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Most batteries should have a blade fuse my 09 dolphins have an external fuse to pry out, whereas my DAS- KIT Oxydrive batteries have the fuse inside the case. In the event of a short they are there to protect the cells and bms/pcb.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Thanks for your reply.
No lights come on her battery, and it does not work on either bike. At the moment she is using my battery, and I am getting more exercise on my non-electric bike.
I may try opening up the battery.
As neath says probably a fuse .. could be a in line type , or mounted adjacent to the power a on Friday switch any car accessories shop Halfords or in France Nordauto will have the correct type

Ivor C

Just Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Bristol and France
Thanks for your replies.
Yesterday I sat it on the charger for an hour. Nothing happened. Then this morning one light came on. I have sat it on the charger again, one light still on but none flashing. I will see what happens. If nothing I will open it up and look for a fuse.
Thanks again for all of your help.