BEBA Cycle Ride in London *POSTPONED*

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Guys, following a thread regardinga BEBA "come and try day", which now looks as if it will be going ahead in 2012 there was a lot of interest in holding a series of small events where e-bike nuts.... sorry, I mean enthusiasts can get together have a chat and go for a ride.

After talks between Mark Loveridge from Ultra Motor and Karta Healy from A go to B (not to be confused with A to B magazine or A to B Metro!) See A>>B : Urban Vehicle Agency

We are arranging our first.....

BEBA All Charged Up and Somewhere to Go day which will take place in London on 18th June, if it is a success we will arrange several more in different locations, any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Outline Itinerary

Gather at Parliament Square in the morning (Time TBA) and commence a trip along the river in an easterly direction.

Cross Southwark Bridge to take in Tate Modern and onto Boris' HQ.

Cross back over Tower Bridge and go to: Spitalfields Festival See Spitalfields Music | Search Results

From there we can explore a bit of the cool sides of East London.

A visit to Netil Market where the Bicycle Library now resides and a half way point charge up.

Then onto the canals and riding to Regents Park for Taste of London a big outdoor food fair where we can re-charge our bellies. See Taste of London - Home - The world

From there through the shopping district of Bond Street and to the river for drinks on board a boat with a bar, across from The houses of Parliament, where those that drove can be re united with their vehicles...

Sound good? Open to suggestions as to timings, venues, etc.

All the best

David

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

Hi David,

Do you really mean 18th, June 2012? In London on a Monday:(

Or do you mean Saturday 18th June 2011:confused:

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Half of that sounds like my commute, are you trying to avoid hills? ;)
It's worth getting the cycle maps from the TFL website to plan the route, there are many cycle paths and cut throughs to keep you off the main roads, some will be good for regrouping. I'd recommend taking Vine Street as many will be stretched out after crossing Tower Bridge, there's plenty of room there to stop and let others catch up. From Vine Street you go into Jewry street, at the top of Jewry street cyclists can cross straight onto Bevis Marks (There's a seperate cycle lane you can wait in again there for people to catch up) to miss out the horrible Aldgate one way system. I'm not sure of the best route to Spitalfields from there, it will depend on what street markets are blocking roads and how much you want to avoid big fast roads.

Maybe a security brief would be helpful for those who aren't used to leaving their bikes in high theft areas.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Thanks Andrew!

All gratefully received, anyone with any other local knowledge and can give us any help it would be gratefully accepted.

All the best

David

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
:Forgot to say, this is open to everyone with any electric bike, you don't need to be a BEBA member we are simply organising the events.

And of course it's free! (Apart from any food, drinks and third party entry charges!! :))

Regards

David

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
With several stops for passers-by ;) to try out people's bikes..... perhaps? ;)

Bicycle library you say? Hmmmmmm......sounds interesting! :D

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Penny

Exactly what we are aiming for, we simply want to get as much publicity going for electric bikes in General. We are not promoting any specific brands, this is simply a day for enthusiasts to get together.

As I say although BEBA are making the arrangements the day is open to any one with an electric bike.

The bike library is superb, you would certainly enjoy the day out, I hope you can make it, the more the merrier!

All the best

David

Last edited:
C

Cyclezee

I just found out today that the BEBA London Cycle Ride has been postponed due to a poor weather forecast:(

Those of you who are not frightened of a bit of rain why not come to Milton Keynes this weekend. Saturday does not look good so far, but the forecast for Sunday is good:cool:

There are two organised rides as part of National Cycle Week listed here MK CTC easy riders all cyclists are welcome powered or not.

I will be riding in both events whatever the weather, hope to see some of you there;)

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I'd be too scared to cycle in London - used to do it daily but that was decades ago. sorry its been postponed but it will be for the best. Stupid rainy weather...

Hi Penny

Exactly what we are aiming for, we simply want to get as much publicity going for electric bikes in General. We are not promoting any specific brands, this is simply a day for enthusiasts to get together.

As I say although BEBA are making the arrangements the day is open to any one with an electric bike.

The bike library is superb, you would certainly enjoy the day out, I hope you can make it, the more the merrier!

All the best

David

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'd be too scared to cycle in London - used to do it daily but that was decades ago. sorry its been postponed but it will be for the best. Stupid rainy weather...
It's probably much easier and safer now than it used to be, cycling is a very common way of getting around London now.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I travel to London quite frequently and watch open mouthed at the cyclists vs. the four wheeled vehicles and wonder how I ever survived. But I am so much older and wiser and greyer now. ;oP

It's probably much easier and safer now than it used to be, cycling is a very common way of getting around London now.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I travel to London quite frequently and watch open mouthed at the cyclists vs. the four wheeled vehicles and wonder how I ever survived. But I am so much older and wiser and greyer now. ;oP
It's fun and contrary to what most people would expect it appears to be non-aggressive riders that have the worst accidents.