Beer

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm a beer lover, particularly ale . Guess it comes from spending formative years way further north than Shoreham by sea. Lager was never an option !

So my ale loving predates the craft ale and ale revolution / revival

But I do love some of the newer styles as well as classic English bitters .

Here are a few of my favourite breweries and beers

Darkstar (had my 35 birthday in their brewery )
Burning Sky
Sirencraft
Tiny Rebel
Marble
Thornbrige
the odd Brewdog

I like Apa, hophead, green hop,breakfast stout, cold blooded, cwitch, Jaipur, jackhammer from the above as a few examples.

I like big flavour be it ipa, stout , best , red ale or whatever

Not a keg or cask snob . And certainly no beliver in stupid prices for no reason. But I'm lucky to have great locals and micro pubs. Beers kept better, in better environments and half the price of Brighton up the road.

What's your favourites ? Brewery or specific [emoji481]

Or anything else really - just felt we needed a beer thread [emoji482]

Cheers

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

;) i can drink 16 of those :p

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
KirstinS, in respect of local brewery companies, Longman is my preferred brewery https://www.longmanbrewery.com/

Black Cat is another local brewery that produces a very palatable pint. http://www.blackcat-brewery.com/

Both are local to us.

I'm not a fan of Darkstar ales, which is kind of a shame, as it is the 'banker' for my nearest pub. https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1013917-d3835304-r167937691-Coopers_Arms-Crowborough_East_Sussex_England.html

I also often think that it isn't also the quality of the beer that makes for a good pint. Quite often it can be the company, occasion, and even the weather that factor into what is perceived to be a good pint. That comment leads me to another favourite beer. If I happen to be visiting my sister who lives in South Wales, my preferred pint comes from the Rymney Brewery http://www.rhymneybreweryltd.com/ Take the pint away from there, and it somehow never tastes the same. Sitting outside the Goose And Cuckoo on a hot sunny afternoon, nothing tastes better. http://www.travelswithbeer.com/2010/06/22/the-goose-cuckoo-upper-llanover/

I rarely drink at home, but my preferred choice when I do happen to, is Sharps Atlantic, or Doom Bar. Tribute is another favourite.

I'm not a fan of dark beers, preferring lighter beer/ale with a relatively low alcohol content. 4.2% is about right for me, and even then, I'm happy to leave things at just two pints.

Last edited:

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Beer!

Past couple of years I've enjoyed local winter beer festivals and usually finished off with a half of Good King Henry Stout :)

Lots less stronger than that but delicious is the Norwich based Grain Brewery Slate porter

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ruddles Rhubarb.
Old Peculiar.
Speckled Hen.
Badger fruity/floral ale's like Golden Glory or Champion are another favorite
Love Guiness.

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
KirstinS, in respect of local brewery companies, Longman is my preferred brewery https://www.longmanbrewery.com/
Oooh, I like a Long Blonde, or American IPA :cool:

We have regular trips to Bridport in Dorset, so I like Palmers Dorset Gold. But also liked their Colmers back in the summer - light and hoppy.

Pretty much anything from the Wychwood Brewery - Hobgoblin, Dr Thirsty, Black Wych.

Sharpe's Atlantic is a fave too. And I have quite a few cans of Speckled Hen as a nice, easy drinker. Crafty and Golden Hens are good too.

I'm happy to try anything when it comes to beer.

Gaz

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Any ale you like as long as it is red wine... :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: robdon

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Hop Back's Summer Lighting on tap and Old Speckled Hen in the 500ml cans as an at home drink.
I seem to have this affinity to 5%, not good for being on the road car or bike.
If it is Wetherspoons it needs to be Abbot.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Please do try a pint of Timothy Taylor's 'Landlord', in my opinion straight from the cask, a better beer can't be found.
I have several likes, Local brews from Mighty oak , Brentwood, 'Oscar Wilde' Mild, 'Directors' from Burton, Titanic brewery beers, and Ridley's IPA, which sadly the original is now defunct.l
I do favour stouts,porters and miles, and will gladly sample as many as I find.
But rarely drink any tinned or bottled beers, bottle conditioned beers excempted, but I do like Budwieser Budvar from Czech republic ,and some German beers,but not lager styles.

In short I am picky about what I will drink of Supermarket shelves, but I am always ready for a bottle of cider.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Batham's Brewery in the Black Country serve up the most fantastic bitter.

Holden's, also of the Black Country, are also very good.

In Warwick, my local has a microbrewery - The WIld Boar.

My preference is for dark, rich winter warmers, so it's my time of year.

Steve UKLSRA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 29, 2015
Porthmadog
www.ukbusas.org
Like grldtnr, Timmy Taylor Landlord is my choice when available and Czech Budvar for home consumption...I prefer dry cider in the summer though and drink Strongbow draught...cold and refreshing, but not too many if far from home on the bike:confused:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well I used to like it and it was hugely popular so I don't know why people revile it now.
CAMRA gave it and all keg beers a very bad name. I don't drink alcohol so can't judge. Funny story attached to this.

With friends on an outdoor table at a local country pub and not knowing it was a "Real Ale" CAMRA stronghold, I went in to get the drinks for them. It was packed out with a huge amount of noise from everyone chatting in groups.

A barman spotting me trying to get through to the bar called out to ask what I wanted, but not knowing what they had and knowing nothing about beers I called out "Do you have Red Barrel?"

Instantly the whole place froze into total silence with a sea of sullen faces staring at me!

I did the only thing I could think of to ease the mood, I loudly announced, "Don't take any notice of me, I travel the country upsetting people". That made them all laugh, the moment passed and the barman helped me with the choice of beer for my friends.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Krikey, Is this a thread for alcofrolics?
To link with your other current thread: most of the times I have fallen off my pedelec I was "tipsy" and never once was wearing a helmet :p

Advertisers