Belgian e-biker

frank12rs

Just Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Hi All,

Just joined your forum, we live in Belgium, in a very flat area north of Antwerp, near the Dutch border.

My wife has a light form of asthma that causes problems when she is doing efforts like cycling a bit too fast or too long. Even in our flat area we never did cycling tours of more than 20 km and at low average speed. I thought if we would buy an e-bike for her, we could go cycling together over longer distances. So we decided to look in on our local bike shop who distributes Cannondale. He told us he would get an e-bike the next week for testing and offered to lend it to us for half a day to try. When we got it from the shop my wife was immediately of at 25 km/h and I had a hard time to try and keep up. I tried it myself for a ride around the block and had to admit this was really nice, I had tried other e-bikes before (all with motor in the wheel), but that was nothing like this. So we decided to buy 2 Cannondale e-bikes.

The bikes are equipped with the Bosch e-bike system and I have to say it works really nice. We can choose from 4 different support types and each has 3 support steps + off. So in total there are 12 different supports levels you can choose from, going from 30% to 250% support. The support starts to gradually reduce at 25 km/h and is 0% at 27.5 km/h. It's a pity the support is cut at 25 km/h as directed by the European pedelec guide, I am sure there is enough power to go a lot faster with these bikes.

We have each used them for about 150 km now and are both very happy with them. Wednesday, my wife did a tour of 37 km with friends and in the evening another 12 km with me, she could never do that before. I rode mine to work (30 km) arriving fresh after a ride of 1h20', in the evening I tried to go a little faster and arrived after 1h10' which is an average speed of 25.7 km/h meaning I cycled most of the way in the reduced power zone above 25 km/h. The range is about 70 km when cycling like this so I hope the battery will not reduce to much in future or I will need to charge it at work.

Frank

C

Cyclezee

Hi Frank,

A warm welcome to the Pedelec Forum.
It was good to read your story and I am glad to hear that both you and your wife are now able to go for long rides together on your new bikes.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi Frank and a warm welcome to the forum. How are you getting on? Do you have any photos? Perhaps a url link to the bikes you have?
Alan