Bicycle sidecar

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Not ebike specific so I posted here

So, I want one basically but the options seem to be very few. Either uber trendy and mega pricey. Or diy (e.g. Instructables)

Except I have neither requisite cash nor skills

Question then. Does anyone know anyone who has one, or where to buy a no frills one, or know someone who has made one.

Or best someone within say 30 miles of Brighton who can make one at a decent price.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Reactions: KirstinS

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Twinkle welds builds trikes I believe not far from you K, so maybe someone to speak to.

D

Deleted member 4366

I'll so I bought a decently built pivot sidecar . Here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131994985250

Just need to build a suitable carriage

Maybe using a barrel or a knackered canoe as a base...
That's very interesting. I'm sort of laughing and curious at the same time while I write this. I can't figure out whether it's genius or a deathtrap. Please let us know how well it works. I can't wait to hear.

One thing I learnt from riding real sidecar outfits is that the load on the side will try and turn you to the left as you accelerate, so be ready for that, and you get the opposite when you brake unless you have a braked sidecar wheel. Those affects are not too bad on a heavy motorbike, but I can see a problem on light a bicycle with a substantial weight on the side. I can't see a way to add a brake other than installing an extra direct drive motor in the third wheel and using EABS, which is available on many controllers. That would solve both problems.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
I'll so I bought a decently built pivot sidecar . Here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131994985250

Just need to build a suitable carriage

Maybe using a barrel or a knackered canoe as a base...
What is your intention to transport, a very simple way would be to mount a large plastic crate used for stowage , as sold in many hardware shops, many have a lid, simply screw on with a shaped insert to provide reinforcement,

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
What is your intention to transport, a very simple way would be to mount a large plastic crate used for stowage , as sold in many hardware shops, many have a lid, simply screw on with a shaped insert to provide reinforcement,
In most cases a trailer is the better option.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
The intention is to transport my youngest twins boys
Something like this

http://www.scandinaviansidebike.com/sidecar.html

I appreciate a trailer is better for handling but not for looks or passenger experience

Plus this is for summer time family beach front pootling . Not for serious distance or commuting or indeed speeds

The bike it attaches to a serious etank ! Steel framed, alfine hub, BPM front hub and 16ah mid mounted battery. Seriously heavy

Last edited:
Reactions: Alan Quay and flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

It seems to work OK in the video. the Ebay one is basically a home-made copy, so could be alright.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
At last the answer to my question! Your sons. I waited patiently...

Some 9 mm ply and you can build a very nice space for them and theme it to your fancy: interstellar craft, pirate ship, ..., limited by your imagination. Don't forget strategic padding and a box for toys.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
At last the answer to my question! Your sons. I waited patiently...

Some 9 mm ply and you can build a very nice space for them and theme it to your fancy: interstellar craft, pirate ship, ..., limited by your imagination. Don't forget strategic padding and a box for toys.
This may well be the way to go

Sorry for the suspense ! Unintentional!

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
A Dutch style cargo trike may be safer, but a lot more expensive, I understand why you would prefer a detachable sidecar.

Back in those halycon '50's ,watsonian sidecars were popular.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
A Dutch style cargo trike may be safer, but a lot more expensive, I understand why you would prefer a detachable sidecar.

Back in those halycon '50's ,watsonian sidecars were popular.
Agreed , that would be my preferred option but I have nowhere to store one (even if money was available)

Still in terms of saftey I'm not overly concerned. In the very small amounts of residential road between me and the beach front,segregated cycle paths the side car keeps the kids away next to pavement. As said before at low speed pootling I do not think handling issues will be so terrible.

Those watsonian cars look the business !

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
So the mechanics are Set up. Pivot working well , tracking is adjusted in.(that took a while!)

The car is a little lower on bike side but this a result of the mount config on my hybrid. It needs a little playing with and an extra stay ideally

Most importantly it is very solidly built and the ride.....well, having read and researched so so much.....i was very worried to say the least

But it's an absolute dream! Other than the turning circle or very tight turns it feels more or less the same. Certainly it was just ride away. Nothing different to normal .....except the weight. The first unpowredd tests were hard work but it's fine up to 15mph powered as well.

You do need to consider brakibg distance. With me on it and 16ah battery it must be around 110 to 120 kg.

But it doesn't squirrel as I thought it might under braking

I added about 15kg of weight in old car batteries. Still no squirellibg :)

Feeling much better about this project!

Edit - got a couple of pics but tapatalk keeps saying it's having as issue. I'll try later when I'm home

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Advertisers