Bike Europe draws attention to illegal tuning kits

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's a new vehicle type with no history to judge claim risk on so they are classing it as very risky?

Reactions: VictoryV

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a new vehicle type with no history to judge claim risk on so they are classing it as very risky?
And perhaps unsurprising considering the huge publicity surrounding the spate of cyclist versus truck deaths late last year.

Reactions: VictoryV

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Does any one know the law on legal homebuilt bikes.do I just make my own plate.

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
The quote I had from Bikesure shows they are part of Adrian Flux but £235 for 3rd party only is a bit steep...
I know it's a lot already but you can probably buy theft /damage only cover elsewhere to in effect 'top up' a third party only policy. (That said I haven't seen the small print of the theft /damage insurers on s pedelecs).

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
All I can find on the gov.UK website is.EAPC requirements are.The bike must have a plate showing the manufacturer. The nominal voltage of the battery and the motors power output.so I take this as i'am the manufacturer so I can make the plate.I suppose a plate is made from metal.and a sticker will not do.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't bother with a plate Craiggor. Not only have almost all manufactured e-bikes not had them, the new law EU style that's about to be introduced this Spring doesn't specify them in this way. They just have the usual CE markings etc on manufactured bikes, and you can't legally make those yourself.

If your self-made e-bike uses a motor specified by the maker as 250 watts and it's assist power cuts out by 17 mph, you'll be ok. If it uses an independent acting throttle, keep any original documentation to prove when you made it, since e-bikes made after the new law is fully in force cannot have throttles if not type approved, their power has to be pedelec controlled by pedal rotation.

D

Deleted member 4366

You can make a nicw plby printing onto sticky-backed aluminium tape with a laser printer or photocopier. Use Prittstick to hold it in place on a piece of A4 paper. Do a print on plain paper first, then stick the tape directly over the print, then re-print. Cover the printed label with wide selotape to make it weatherproof before cutting it out. Peel off the backing and away you go. It should look something like this:

Reactions: craiggor

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Don't bother with a plate Craiggor. Not only have almost all manufactured e-bikes not had them, the new law EU style that's about to be introduced this Spring doesn't specify them in this way. They just have the usual CE markings etc on manufactured bikes, and you can't legally make those yourself.

If your self-made e-bike uses a motor specified by the maker as 250 watts and it's assist power cuts out by 17 mph, you'll be ok. If it uses an independent acting throttle, keep any original documentation to prove when you made it, since e-bikes made after the new law is fully in force cannot have throttles if not type approved, their power has to be pedelec controlled by pedal rotation.
Cheers Flecc,keeping invoices for every thing.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
as flecc said, you can't have CE marking without test.