Bike frame lock

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I spotted this bike lock in The Range today. Fix to frame type.
I can't decide if it's any good tbh?
Can't lock bike to something, although will stop bike being ridden off.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I suspect if you have a lighteweight and expensive bike it wont stop a thief lifting the bike into the back of a van and making off.

For low cost, maybe heavy bikes, it would stop the casual thief who maybe wants a bike to ride home. The lock is always there so you wont forget it and its quick and easy to use.

Used to be popular on dutch style bikes, might still be too.

Reactions: Wayners

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
My wife has it preinstalled on her ebike. It is OKish, but nothing special. Convenient, when you are in park with kids and don't want to look behind shoulder every 10 minutes to check if bike is still there. You can't remove key unless it is locked. I find that annoying.
Not all frames are designed to attach it.

Use code ACCESSORIES10 to pay £26.99. Good price for diamond lock. For better locks you should prepare to spend around £250

Last edited:

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
dont save by buying anything but the best locks you can afford. fwiw i use A good D-lock to quickly clamp the rear wheel to an immovable object, for all the occasions I leave the bike for 3-5 mins. And a 4ft grinder resistant close chain and similar shackle for locking up for longer periods in public places with the dlock.
And remember to include the cost of locks for any insurance validation.

good news is now your on an ebike the weight of the locks is an insignificant factor ;)

Reactions: Saracen

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Can't lock bike to something, although will stop bike being ridden off.
That's not entirely the case - I have frame locks (Abus and AXA brands) on two ebikes and a tandem and by using one of the many available lock cables looped at each end, you loop the cable around a fixed object and then pass the second looped end between the frame lock locking pin as you slide it closed.

That's a bit difficult to explain - hopefully my pic below helps that understanding.

Some frame lock brands (like the Abus) have a purpose designed hole in the mechanism for 'plugging in' a looped cable but I've always got on with an ordinary cable with loops each end.

Further to the frame locks, each bike has one of those vibration activated sirens so for local shopping I loop the cable around a railing and into the frame lock and set the alarm, all done in no time.

Minor deterents to put off the occasional thief in a 'layered defence' approach but not something I'd rely on to defeat the real scrots!

I have no idea how easy it might be to 'wave rake' these type of locks but I'd guess the £10 Range one is simpler that an Abus or AXA - but who knows?

Our tandem has frame specific fixing points for the frame lock but the two ebike ones are zip-tied to the frame. Wot, zip ties I hear you say - easily cut zip ties!

I've had several nupties point this out but once the frame lock locking pin was been slide shut it doesn't matter if the zip ties are cut as the frame lock is still secured around the wheel preventing wheel rotation.

54221 54222 54223

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I don't have the two holes for a frame lock but would like to fit one. With a plugin cable it's a perfect solution for me. Can't find anyone online that's fitted rivnuts or self tapping screws to secure lock. Not sure if I want to drill frame to fit one?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
No, you don't want to do that.
Keep in mind security level of this lock is very low.
I park in security controlled enclosure mostly at work. I'd getaway with not locking but feel better with big cable lock which I leave on bike stand. I only ever lock bike away from work with £5 cable lock outside local shops on the way home, and I only ever park where I can see bike. Couple of times I've parked outside a shop and not bothering locking bike, like last Friday outside chip shop. It's a right pain locking bike and having to kneel down on wet ground or trying to find something to lock bike to.
I was thinking a frame lock and strap would suit my needs with a cheap alarm. I have a D lock but no frame space to carry plus it's a lump to sit in panniers bag. Maybe I need to have another look at this D lock I have and try mount it somewhere

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I only ever lock bike away from work with £5 cable lock outside local shops on the way home
Cutting through that is a 2 second job.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Cutting through that is a 2 second job.
  • When I choose which lock to use in any given situation, the first consideration is the risk, a subjective matter of course
  • But in extremise take the risk of leaving a bike unattended for many hours vs outside the local village shop for a few minutes - clearly there's a greater risk for the first case than the second and in my mind something simple for the village shop will suffice.
  • You can never be sure of course but if you're the sort of person that worries to the extreme about everything (like ebike batteries only charged and kept in a nuclear shelter 10 metres deep in the back garden), then maybe don't buy a bike in the first place?
  • For instance, I went out for a ride yesterday to meet a friend at a cafe on the seafront. The bike would be in a busy place and in view most times. At this point I realised I'd not got a lock with me although the bike had my 'vibration alarm' fitted.
  • Not enough security in my view so armed with my 15% Cycling UK discount code I popped into the nearest Halfords (leaving the bike with the cashier for safe keeping) and browsed the locks on offer. Plenty of cheap locks that would have suffuced for the occasion but I needed a new 'D' lock - so what to splash the cash on?
  • Prices for 'D' locks ranged from £35 for an 'own brand' to £100 for some Abus monster of a thing that would likely drain me and the bike battery. So for an extra £65 what would the Abus give me over the cheaper one? Answer about an extra 30 seconds against an angle grinder!!! Thus I settled for the cheaper jobbie.
  • Now I know @guerney you lambasted the Frame Lock in terms of it's time resistance, but actually an angle grinder wouldn't be any the easier to use on a frame lock than a 'D' lock and more likely to cuase bike frame damage thus deminishing the value of the thief's prize.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Frame lock you need to cut twice to allow wheel to turn. It's also difficult to get access with a grinder. I think a cheap £10 bike alarm as well helps. Probably take 1 min to cut lock twice and get a hammer on the bike alarm. That's probably the best your going to do unless you get something expensive which will probably only take another minute more.
Just the way things are I guess. Remember gone in 60 seconds

Reactions: Bikes4two

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
I don't have the two holes for a frame lock but would like to fit one. With a plugin cable it's a perfect solution for me. Can't find anyone online that's fitted rivnuts or self tapping screws to secure lock. Not sure if I want to drill frame to fit one?
You do not, repeat DO NOT need fitting points to fit a frame lock - see my pics below using ties wraps. The purpose made frames with fixing points merely give a convenient point of attachment for the frame lock and add nothing to the security side of things - prettier yes but that's it.

• Agree
Reactions: AntonyC and Wayners

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Keep in mind security level of this lock is very low.
I'd agree but what is it that you are trying to protect against?
  • CASE - someone just walking off with your bike - the Frame lock prevents this if used in conjunction with a looped cable as described by me earlier
  • CASE - wire cutters/bolt croppers - wire cutters wont work and you couldn't easily get bolt croppers to it especially if there's a pannier rack in the way.
  • CASE - lock picking - probably susceptible to someone in the 'no' but do casual bike thieves go in for that sort of thing when other tools are more universal for the job- hmmm, not my area of expertise.
  • CASE - angle grinder - game over then but that's the case for just about any lock.
Horses for courses - it's always a gamble (bike security) - one has to settle for what one is comfortable with whether that's a couple of meaty 'D' locks and chains or something along the 'cafe lock' genre.

PS - in an oblique way deception has a role in security in that some bikes by virtue of their appearance, expecially ebikes, scream 'come and get' whilst kit bikes, especially those older framed variety, don't always stand out so much (soddin' great Hailong batteries being the exception to this of course!).

I've tried really hard on both my conversions to disguise their electrickery, simply to not attract undue attention (both bikes in the pics are TSDZ2 each with 10Ah batteries) - oh, and I like retro but I guess you can see that :rolleyes: .

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
For those that are interested. I thought this is a good deal for £22. What we thinking. Bolt cut chain and throw bike in van.
Would need to cut chain and angle grind frame lock to ride off. That would be about 2 mins.
M-Wave Unisex Adult Ring Chain Frame Lock - Black, N/A https://amzn.eu/d/3hSIjRO

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
For those that are interested. I thought this is a good deal for £22. What we thinking. Bolt cut chain and throw bike in van.
Would need to cut chain and angle grind frame lock to ride off. That would be about 2 mins.
M-Wave Unisex Adult Ring Chain Frame Lock - Black, N/A https://amzn.eu/d/3hSIjRO
I think i get it, its the aesthetic of the frame lock thats appealing to you perhaps?
And if so knock yourself out fitting one for the look.

Just dont use it as a security device, because if you do and become comfortable using it you will loose your valuable bike sooner or later.

edit btw the chain with that lock in the link is a joke way too silver to be treated hardened steel.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
the £30 gold rated dlock linked to earlier is a Bargain hung over your handle bars may take 20 seconds longer to fit, but is at least solid.. ive lost too many bikes to theft (3) its a hassle best avoided and insured against.
locks/security should represent a reasonable percentage of your investment into your bike.

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
What about https://thebestbikelock.com/best-u-lock/litelok-x1-review/

X3 is a bit better but both take a few angle grinder discs to get through.
British company as well. Still looking at around 5 mins protection, but would a thief find that all too difficult?
If up against a determined thief who has targeted your bike nothing really works beyond standing over it and trackers.

but the better the lock the more opportunists it will deter and 2 locks is better still and even i wouldn't object to a 3rd perhaps frame lock too ;)

You need a strategy for where to lock up too. While your work sounds safe, public places less so.

For example i cycle to the shops regularly, i never lock up in the same rack 2 days running or use them in a repeating rotation to the best of my ability, when 'parking' in town i lock my bike among a lot of nicer looking bikes. look out for nicer bikes with worse locks than you and lock up next to em..

Awkward spots like the roadside of a metal railing if its a pita to put your bike there its a pita to nick it from there too.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I guess none of us is a professional thief. That is why I posted sold secure diamond lock at very reasonable price which is highest security class. It is massive and inconvenient though.

Related Articles

Advertisers