Bike lock Idea

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Just me thinking Vs sleeping.

If there was a lock that fitted around a chain , it could not be cut without breaking the chain.
Could have another lock around tyre with same result.
Don't try and defend the angle grinder attack, just make the bike unrideable.
Won't stop theif with a van and 5+ mins that has a workshop at home to repair bike I guess.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Only trouble is many angle grinder thefts in London and other cities are made by van gangs, they pick up a number of bikes during a theft trip.

Then any locks that aren't onto street furniture they remove at their leisure.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Chain lock would be 150mm long hinged tube with teeth inside to grip chain. Any dirt wound remain inside.

Tyre lock would curve to match tyre with fingers. Be a bit like grabbing tyre with your hand.
Could not cut or leaver either off.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I also thought about detachable peddles or peddle arms. I've thought about unscrewing one peddle when leaving bike outside busy shops. All the videos shows crook riding off not putting bike in a van.
I know they do go around in vans targeting bikes but only answer is a tracker but that won't work. We have a area near me stolen kit goes but police won't go there. Get mobbed...
These £2000 bikes should come with with all sorts of security measures but I guess like sports cars they never really work well.

Re frame lock. Won't fit my bike as I have mudguard.
There is an XL version but don't want to risk trying.

I guess pro theif will happily fit another chain but that takes time before moving to next lock.
I'm trying to stop ride offs mostly

Last edited:

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
Back in the day I had a decent road bike, which I used to use to ride to work etc.

Since the wheels were quick release I used to lock the bike up and take the front wheel with me, no chance of a rideway now.

But I am sure you know what happened, one day I was left with only the front wheel of my loverly bike.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But I am sure you know what happened, one day I was left with only the front wheel of my loverly bike.
I remember a slow motion version of this in my area. At the bus/tram interchange I saw a decent lookinging road bike locked by its crossbar to a bike stand but with front wheel missing. It being a route I regularly cycled, I saw other parts gradually being removed over time, gradual skeletonising it. Eventually even the forks and BB went, so all that was left was the completely bare frame, still securely locked to the stand by a D lock.

Truly nothing is ever secure.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Reading about that lock it leaks. BBC did a test and it don't smell bad enough to put people off.

From what I gather we are in the hands of fate.
Just a case of locking up and hope for the best, because there it little deterrent and a good reward for crooks with high value bikes.

If the lock is cut proof then crooks will cut whatever it locked to I guess. Can't win this one!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Chain lock would be 150mm long hinged tube with teeth inside to grip chain. Any dirt wound remain inside.
So what is the plan? There comes an opportunist thief. He looks at your bike and thinks:
- Wow! A bike with no lock and no chain on. This is my day!
He jumps on, and after 20 meters he can't ride anymore because derailer is broken?

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
No.
Cuts D-lock
Now has to push bike rather than ride off. Chain lock which being on the top won't get past front sprocket.
Guess they just need to cut chain and fit a new one to be able to ride off.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I also thought about detachable peddles or peddle arms. I've thought about unscrewing one peddle when leaving bike outside busy shops. All the videos shows crook riding off not putting bike in a van.
I know they do go around in vans targeting bikes but only answer is a tracker but that won't work. We have a area near me stolen kit goes but police won't go there. Get mobbed...
These £2000 bikes should come with with all sorts of security measures but I guess like sports cars they never really work well.

Re frame lock. Won't fit my bike as I have mudguard.
There is an XL version but don't want to risk trying.

I guess pro theif will happily fit another chain but that takes time before moving to next lock.
You can buy clip-in pedals. Some folding bikes have them. It's a similar idea to removing a QR seat. Both ideas are good for a shortish stay while shopping.

If you keep you bike indoors or in a gangway, the removeable pedal stops you from catching your shin or ankle each time you walk past, and if you add Q/R clamps to the stem, you can turn the handlebars 90 deg to make the bike flat against a wall.

Reactions: Wayners

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I think the more locks the better. Don't really matter what lock just plenty of them.
Cable locks that can be snipped are junk and don't bother.
I'm well pleased with my ABUS frame lock and mortise chain.
That's two cuts crooks need to make. Or one cut and carry which is likely I guess.
Then a D lock.
I want a bike alarm as well but I can't use that at work unfortunately. Be great outside shops ect.
Just buy multiple locks and a alarm imo.
Then fingers crossed. Make the a holes work for it.

On the subject of bike locks. Someone needs to come up with a lock that has disc cutter jamming cloth built in. I jammed my disc cutter with tarpaulin once. Wrapped around cutting wheel by accident.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
If work is a big company, then get on to the Sustainable Travel Plan director, and get secure bike storage with charging facilities installed.

Reactions: MikelBikel

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Some lose their keys and can't cut lock off / bike not worth it.
Some leave it there to warn other cyclists of the risk!
Who would lock their bike there and leave it after seeing a frame dangling from the railing?
Better an electric folder one can take in with you. :)

Related Articles

Advertisers