bike mileage

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
would anyone know roughly how far you can travel on 2 of these batteries. I did do 17 miles yesterday which took 5 1/2 hours to charge batteries back up, but about 1/2 mile away from my house, I was having to pedal a bit to keep up speed. so I would imagine about 20 miles on a full charge. or am I wrong

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
It's 24 volt, 12 ah or around 290 watt hours if you fully discharge the battery. But if you do fully discharge a lead acid it will die after very few cycles. Best to limit the use to less than 200 watt hours.
Our rule of thumb says range on that would be between 10 and 25 miles.
Dependant on tires,your effort,hills, wind, speed, temperature etc.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I'd say 50% for SLA (sealed lead acid, as your pic), so you have 144Wh to play with with.

Average power use is around 12Wh/mile, so those batteries will have a range of 12 miles.

Obviously if you are light, fit or both the 12Wh/mile can be reduced significantly. (Or increased in reverse)

If you discharge SLA's below 50% more than a few times they are knackered.

• Informative
Reactions: D8ve

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
It's 24 volt, 12 ah or around 290 watt hours if you fully discharge the battery. But if you do fully discharge a lead acid it will die after very few cycles. Best to limit the use to less than 200 watt hours.
Our rule of thumb says range on that would be between 10 and 25 miles.
Dependant on tires,your effort,hills, wind, speed, temperature etc.
so roughly it would go about 20 miles, as like i said I did 17 miles other day, and about last stretch towards home, I had to pedal to get up speed ok once speed was there.

I'd say 50% for SLA (sealed lead acid, as your pic), so you have 144Wh to play with with.

Average power use is around 12Wh/mile, so those batteries will have a range of 12 miles.

Obviously if you are light, fit or both the 12Wh/mile can be reduced significantly. (Or increased in reverse)

If you discharge SLA's below 50% more than a few times they are knackered.
does 12Wh mean working hours you say the batteries have a range of 12 miles so 2 would take me about 24 miles then

thanks all for your info its most appreciated

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You are pushing the batteries to the limit and lead acid fails quickly when you do that.
The watt hours is an engineering term for how much power you have.
Your two batteries can provide about 290 watt hours.
Allan said you should only use half that,. About 144 watt hours to save the batteries.
The 12 watt hours per mile is a rule of thumb to estimate range. So 144/12=12 miles range.
I did similar to get max range of near 20 miles.
But as I said the battery will struggle and if it is struggling it won't last.
Lithium ion can use nearly 100% of quoted Ah without significant issues but it's still better to only use 80% so they give better range and they are far lighter too.
Your battery is struggling at 17 miles. It will get weaker very quickly. Don't push it please.

• Informative

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
You are pushing the batteries to the limit and lead acid fails quickly when you do that.
Allan said you should only use half that,. About 144 watt hours to save the batteries.
The 12 watt hours per mile is a rule of thumb to estimate range. So 144/12=12 miles range.
Lithium ion can use nearly 100% of quoted Ah without significant issues but it's still better to only use 80% so they give better range and they are far lighter too.
Your battery is struggling at 17 miles. It will get weaker very quickly. Don't push it please.
Yes, that's about right. You can expect only about 200 charge cycles if you treat them kindly, perhaps 20 if they are heavily drained.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk

so what you saying then dont go over 12 miles on these batteries or am I wrong.. also what lithium ion batteries would suit my bike then and whats cheapest price. as would need 2 x 12v

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Last edited:

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-battery/628-24v12ah-bottle-ebike-battery-pack-with-charger-battery.html

Here's an example. That would go twice as far as your present setup (c.25 miles) and should be good for 800 cycles.
I wouldn't be able to use that as it has to be 2 x 12v batteries as I shown in my screenshot so they fit into the battery holder for my bike

I will upload picture of my battery holder tomoz as not on PC

Plus the 2 I have now cost just $99

I am in the UK

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I wouldn't be able to use that as it has to be 2 x 12v batteries as I shown in my screenshot so they fit into the battery holder for my bike

I will upload picture of my battery holder tomoz as not on PC

Plus the 2 I have now cost just $99

I am in the UK
...but in 20-200 charge cycles you will need new $99 batteries, at which point modifying the wiring and adding a lithium battery may be worthwhile.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
We will help you. Alan's advice is straight up honest and correct.
It's fairly easy because the new battery has just two wires and that's all you need to power your bike.
It's time to learn.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
...but in 20-200 charge cycles you will need new $99 batteries, at which point modifying the wiring and adding a lithium battery may be worthwhile.
this is battery holder for my bike so how can i use that other battery etc as it will mean i have to remove a lot of stuff from bike this is my bike below

I just assumed I would need to get 2 x12V lithium batteries same size as in my 1st post

it would mean ripping apart all where the battery holder is now surely

and this is the battery holder to house those 2 batteries of mine

Last edited:

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Measure the old holder and see if the new battery will fit in it?
It's made to attach to the bottle holder mounts so simple and fitting.
What's the conections on the old holder as well?

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Measure the old holder and see if the new battery will fit in it?
It's made to attach to the bottle holder mounts so simple and fitting.
What's the conections on the old holder as well?

Isn't all this going to spoil the look of the bike as its suppose to just hold that battery case of mine isn't it just possible I can get 2 batteries like lithium ones what will do same thing. so it then keeps same look of bike. and which can still go approx 25 miles.

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Isn't all this going to spoil the look of the bike as its suppose to just hold that battery case of mine isn't it just possible I can get 2 batteries like lithium ones what will do same thing. so it then keeps same look of bike. and which can still go approx 25 miles.
No, not possible.

You may he able to get the existing case custom fitted with new cells by Insat.

http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/e-bike-batteries.html

Or, if you are handy buy a bottle battery and transfer the contents yourself.

Alternatively, put a battery on the rear rack, or in the panniers.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
No, not possible.

You may he able to get the existing case custom fitted with new cells by Insat.

http://www.bga-reworking.co.uk/e-bike-batteries.html

Or, if you are handy buy a bottle battery and transfer the contents yourself.

Alternatively, put a battery on the rear rack, or in the panniers.

Im a bit lost with all this so you mean still have battery, what i have now and buy bottle one and place on back rack

so even buying 2 x12V lithium batteries wont make any difference to milage

so it has to be a special battery to allow me to go 25 miles then cant use lithium ones same as I have then

Last edited:

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Im a bit lost with all this so you mean still have battery, what i have now and buy bottle one and place on back rack

Lithium batteries are comprised of 3.6v cells, usually 18650's which are cylindrical, 65mm x 18mm. They are arranged to give the correct voltage and capacity, in your case 24v.

So, to replace your existing SLA's you can:

1. Custom build a pack to fit in your existing battery holder. Insat can so this for you.

Or

2. Adapt a ready built battery so it fits in your existing battery holder.

Or

3. Leave existing battery holder empty and buy a pack that can fit onto your rack.

billyboya

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 10, 2016
uk
Lithium batteries are comprised of 3.6v cells, usually 18650's which are cylindrical, 65mm x 18mm. They are arranged to give the correct voltage and capacity, in your case 24v.

So, to replace your existing SLA's you can:

1. Custom build a pack to fit in your existing battery holder. Insat can so this for you.

Or

2. Adapt a ready built battery so it fits in your existing battery holder.

Or

3. Leave existing battery holder empty and buy a pack that can fit onto your rack.

so with my batteries and even lithium I can only go about 12 miles. but with bottle battery I would be able to go 25 miles. so whats said in option 3 so could see if bottle battery would fit in that battery holder. It just seems a lot of money 113 GBP as just spent 75 GBP on these 2 batteries. although I do like the idea of more millage

• Agree

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

so it has to be a special battery to allow me to go 25 miles then cant use lithium ones same as I have then
Alan is talking sense. Lithium batteries will make a difference to range.
You will be able to use all there power, they will last much longer, the bike will be lighter and go slightly further for the same effort.
Insat is my first choice recommendation for you to get your old battery case fitted with lithium insides.
For me getting a bottle battery and fitting it or its contents inside your old case would be my first choice.
For simplicity putting a bottle battery on the bike is easy. Either rack mount or even bolted to your old battery case. Then feed the wires through.

Advertisers