Bike pumps and tyre pressure

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I struggle with bike pumps for some reason. It's a right comedy trying to get air in tyres!
If I do manage to get the tyres inflated I seem to let the air out trying to remove pump. Ha.. Honest it's a nightmare..
I had 4 different bike pumps going trying to get air in my tyres. One own brand inner tube is not helping though as valve stem is too short to use a push on pump. Lesson learnt..
I have both Schrader, Presta valves.
I think trying to get air in bike tyres will continue to be a problem however, if i do. What pressure and how do to test the pressure on presta valves? I use car pressure tester on Schrader valve.

And what pressure? Harder for road and softer for off road I guess. I just dig my thumb in but I'm thinking I'm running too hard for road at the moment...
Again. Just asking for interest. Just nice to hear what other do with tyres and if they struggle like I do.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
My max tyre pressure is 65psi, I run 10psi below - 55psi. My bike is used on the road and cycle paths, I run my tyres at 50psi when using winter spiked tyres
I carry a pump (Topeak Morph pump with guage) and C02 cartridge adapter. When inflating the tyre I use a pump first then the C02 cartridge.
You can buy separate gauges that will test your tyre pressure, Giant and others make them
I also have a track pump, this let's you inflate and check tyre pressures quickly. When inflating the tyre I add a couple of psi extra to allow for air lose when disconnecting.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
If I do manage to get the tyres inflated I seem to let the air out trying to remove pump. Ha.. Honest it's a nightmare..
Cheap keeps me cheerful. Cheaper even cheerfuller. £12 last year, works great.

• Agree
Reactions: robert44

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
C92 cartridges are good for inflating a flat quickly especially in the rain and cold

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Big pump at home (bought at Lidl) and tiny as emergency on the road.

Pressure depends on tyres you use, where you ride and how you like it.

• Agree
Reactions: Ocsid

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
I find no real need to measure tyre pressures as such, just go by feel.

On a new tyre\tube setup if I want to know what say 60psi feels like I just use a track pump at home to check.

On the road I carry a Truflo MiniMTN high volume pump which I find quite effective for its size, 185cm long, 121g weight.

I do make sure that the tubes on the bike and the spare I carry are all the same valve type, saves messing about with the pump.

Reactions: saneagle

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Big pump at home (bought at Lidl)
I just saw it in my local Lidl. £9.99. Very similar to pump recommended by Guernay. I use it for many years with no problems.

On each tyre you should have min and max pressure value.

It is normal to lose some pressure while detaching pump from valve. Just do it decisively and quickly.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
My local Lidl has the £9.99 track pumps and a mini pump with gauge in stock just now.

I bought the cheap track pump for home use last year, good enough if used carefully. Not up to the standard of Park Tools but fine for my occasional use.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
Turns out I have a track pump like the one posted above. I use on car but has a switch around end. Who knew. Works a treat on both size valves plus it has a pressure gauge.
I'm also studying how to use current hand pumps I own. Don't think I've been using correctly

Related Articles

Advertisers