Bike to suit me? - short, heavy and unconfident rider

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Trex

The most comfortable bike is a recumbent.
But the position is new to most people and that puts them off.
But once ridden they are superb road bikes(pants off road)
Not recommended for a nervous newcomer.
But great for the adventurous prepared to try other things

Rosie

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2011
Hi all, I hope you will have some advice for me.

I'm a 60 year old woman, 5'3" and nearly 14 stone, wanting to get fitter and go out cycling with my daughter (who will be on an ordinary road bike, but I won't mind if she gets ahead of me). I'm not a confident cyclist - my first time on a bike was when I was age 40 and I can count on one hand the number of times I have cycled since. But I am motivated to cycle now. I live in Manchester and getting out to more rural parts appeals, so I envisage that we might want to put bikes in the back of the car (I have a rav4 which, with rear seats folded down, takes one bike, and I'm hopeful of getting two in if not too big).

So I'd like an ebike that is:
Relatively light/compact to make putting into car easier (folding a possibility, but not essential)
Suitable for more robust and shorter person
Good for hills
throttle control may be.

I have looked at different options so much that my head starts to spin. I was thinking of the woosh big bear - but then noticed that it is recommended for 5'4" and above, and perhaps there is

Hi

Just spotted your post, I'm 5ft tall, so we have something in common and I can appreciate the difficulty in finding an electric bike. I began 4 years ago with an Urban Mover 55, 24ins wheels, stable, lightish at 20kg. This was bought from Valley Scooters at Bolton, where they have a variety of bikes and are happy for you to try these on the quiet roads at the rear of the shop. When changing last year I went there and tried out a Batribike, although I bought a Giant Hybrid in the end.

tThe Edinburgh Cycle Cooperative on Wilmslow Road also sells electric bikes, but refused to get the Giant in for me to try unless I paid up front. Also, if you are not a confident cyclist it is in a very busy spot near the university for test rides.

There are bikes that suit our height, try a few and take your time buying until you find the one. It is great fun, worth the effort, happy searching and good luck.

Rosie

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
they don't weigh more than an MTB, and swing the seat post forward, pull out the battery, dead easy to remove, the front wheel drops out in a few seconds with QR. So where is the problem?
example: the Woosh Santana (£625), 10AH battery:

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Going to be stupid here but someone needs to be,you say budget is not a great concern,well how about a tow bar on the car and a tow bar mounted rack for two ebikes,that way you can buy purely for comfort riding and not think about loading in the car.
You and your daughter could have long days out to nice riding places without losing the load area of your car.