Bionx Kit surprise

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
I have been recently getting more frustrated by the 25 km/h limit on our bikes. As I get fitter i am finding i can go faster i really do feel the 32 km/h limit to be more realistic. As you know the states have the 32 km/h limit as standard and they are allowed 500W. Trek in europe have disabled the option to change the upper limit via the consul so it looks like i'm stuck. But i came across a forum where a guy bought in a usa controller and fitted it to his bike and surprise the limit was now 32 Km/h. He was worried that as the UK has the 250 Watt motor it would put too much strain on it but no further posts.

So i went to the USA site and there are two versions depending on serial number so i went to my bike to get the serial number and guess what i found.

Yes it has the USA motor fitted so i am pretty confident that if i change over the consul i will get the 32 Km/h AND a throttle.Really surprised my bike has a 350 W motor! But still not 100% certain as some people are saying the motor is also programed but i think the chances are good as i think i have ended up with the USA motor. How they limit the power to 250 W i do not know but i have always heard people moaning the UK bionx system is not good on the hills but mine pulls like a train maybe linked.

Forgot to add the question, do you think a simple consul change would return this back to USA spec? I really do not want to waste £110 to find out its a duff idea.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I always thought the BionX was programable/derestricted by inputing codes on the consul.....Have a look over on endless sphere for the codes first and give that a go.

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi eddieo,
With the introduction of the CanBus system they have restricted the programing you can do. I have checked endless sphere and they all agree that from mid 2009 the codes have been removed. The best i think we can do in europe is change the consul but really do not want to waste £108 pounds + delivery so could end up neared £150 for 4 mph, mmmm need to think about this. I also do not want to invalidate the warranty, will need to think about this. But what a waste to choke a powerful 350W motor!

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
Hi Eddieo,
Yes its the lower capacity battery but looked at the upgraded ones and i am still feeling feint. Maybe one day !

overlander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2009
But original question remains for the bionx experts, does the consul control the speed or does the motor have an internal controller. BUT given the fact that the motor is marked as 32 km/h my bet would be that would be the limit but you never know.