Brake calipers quality

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
I bought a set of Clarks brake calipers for £15 when getting bike going last summer. I'm now thinking they are not the best?

Is there much difference in performance with brake calipers? I'm thinking yes now but originally I was thinking maybe not really for what I want.

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
I bought a set of Clarks brake calipers for £15 when getting bike going last summer. I'm now thinking they are not the best?

Is there much difference in performance with brake calipers? I'm thinking yes now but originally I was thinking maybe not really for what I want.
Assuming mechanical for that price? I have never found much difference in stopping power between any mechanical disc and rim brakes. Once you get into hydraulics performance can vary, all are more powerful than the other two types of course.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Yes rim brakes. My bike don't have any mounts for disc brakes.
I think I remember Seneagle telling you to install fork with disc brake mounts on back when you were converting your bike... but don't worry, you will get there eventually at some point ;)

Edit It is a great time to upgrade your bike BTW. Look at this beauty:

or slightly more expensive

Real bargains.

Last edited:

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@Az.

I can't find forks that fit my bike. Nearest one's that might is a risk I'm not willing to make with the purchase at £55 from EU. Not sure they will take the front hub motor.

26 Inch 25.4mm 1 In thread steer 175mm long

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Oh... OK.

Indeed Clarks brake pads are not exactly top of the range available out there, but you didn't say which exactly pads you have.

I am not a big fan of Clarks brakes, but they offer good value for money. There are better and more expensive brands out there.

Last edited:

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
Is there much difference in performance with brake calipers?
  • There most certainly is!
  • Firstly, what type of brake calipers do you have? There are many different types and this Sheldon Brown article HERE will help you understand and answer this question.
  • I know that hydraulic disc brakes are loved by many, and I have had one bike with them and they are good, but that was years ago and since then on my other bikes I get more than adequate braking performance from quality Shimano V-brakes and levers along with quality brake pads and decent wheel rims.
  • On our tandem I have hydraulic rim brakes (HS33) and even fully loaded for touring and hilly conditions, they have performed brilliantly.
  • So yes, hydraulc disc brakes if your bike can take them (but yours doesn't) but all is not lost - let us know what exactly you current have.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
@Az.

Yeah. I keep looking at the new bikes but I love mine. Don't want to change it. Only the handlebars and frame are original and I understand all of it. Can't part with it.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
26 Inch 25.4mm 1 In thread steer 175mm long
Have you asked on 'Retrobike' ? 1" threaded steerer is the norm over there.

It depends entirely what type of riding you do.

If its pottering along the road, then most low end brakes are going to stop you fine.
Ebikes due to the motor and battery weigh a lot more than standard bikes, so with that in mind, and consider its your life at stake, then the brake is as an important part that you want to spend more on that anything else.

Slow round the town speeds, more or less coasting to a stop then a £15 will suit, faster than that or sudden emergency stops then maybe spend more.

If you ride really fast or in an offroad setting, then all braking is pretty much the equivalent of emergency stopping, because in those settings you really really must be able to stop in time.

To sum it up - When it comes to brakes, cheap as possible is not the criteria you should be looking at adopting.

You are correct though. Not all hydraulics are created as equals. Just because it is or says 'hydraulic brakes' doesnt actually mean they are any good in all settings.
But its not just the ability to stop. Its whether it is always going to need bled, or fettled with. You also want something that going to do the job consistently

Reactions: Wayners

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I keep looking at the new bikes but I love mine. Don't want to change it. Only the handlebars and frame are original and I understand all of it. Can't part with it.
I appreciate your sentiment. You say you are not happy with your brake pads, but it is likely you might need to change whole brake to see real improvement. Bikes4two mentioned top of the line Magura brakes. They have very good reputation. Here is something cheaper:

If that is to expensive, then maybe Shimano?

I would start with changing front brake only.

Reactions: Bikes4two

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Try Jagwire compressionless outer housing and Kool Stop Supra 2 brake blocks

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Can you bear the thought of having two bikes? Old faithful for days of rose tinted eye guards and new usurper for keeping up with the Jones's?

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Probably the cheapest 4 piston brake you can get. I have no rating of them, but its going to be better than any rim or v brake as it is unaffected by the weather.

They are about 70 quid everywhere else.

I did point out previously on here the m520 were better than 1/2 price, but this wasnt taken up and now theyre sold out. These deals arent around forever, so you've got to get them while you can.
Not uncommon to find the m520 on a mid price ebike(the £4/5k range)

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Wiggle has M420, M520 and M6120 in sale now.

Not entirely straightforward, as some of them are left front / right rear, but if you need a set swapping over is easy enough.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
  • There most certainly is!
  • Firstly, what type of brake calipers do you have? There are many different types and this Sheldon Brown article HERE will help you understand and answer this question.
  • I know that hydraulic disc brakes are loved by many, and I have had one bike with them and they are good, but that was years ago and since then on my other bikes I get more than adequate braking performance from quality Shimano V-brakes and levers along with quality brake pads and decent wheel rims.
  • On our tandem I have hydraulic rim brakes (HS33) and even fully loaded for touring and hilly conditions, they have performed brilliantly.
  • So yes, hydraulc disc brakes if your bike can take them (but yours doesn't) but all is not lost - let us know what exactly you current have.
I am glad to see your brakes are performing well. I think one of the reasons your brakes work so well is because the pads are parallel to the rims and move horizontally and accurately towards the rim, ensuring even wear on both the pads and rim.
I have replaced many worn out rims with ordinary 'v' brakes and in all cases the rim is not worn flat but is'concave'. The rim wears quickly in the middle and at a vulnerable point that causes the wall to splay out or sometimes crack. Ordinary 'v' brake calipers pivot and move the blocks in a slight circular movement rather than purely horizontal, the blocks/pads often have a slight vertical movement as well as inwards and this changes as the pads wear and causes uneven wear in both pads and rims.

Related Articles

Advertisers