Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I believe that is exactly what I said!
It is but as I was trying to point out there were other factors. Another one was the then fashionable theories of Malthusian population dynamics and free market economics. The concept of "the rights of man " was not strong in official circles

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Probably more my instinct to go for the simplest and quickest solution to any problem!
We wouldnot like to be hung up on the simple solutions then !
For every problem no matter how complex there is a simple solution ..... Usually wrong.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We wouldnot like to be hung up on the simple solutions then !
For every problem no matter how complex there is a simple solution ..... Usually wrong.
I'd make that "assumed to be wrong". Mistrust of a simple solution and the desire by so many to over complicate all too often means simple solutions aren't tried on the assumption that the simplicity must make them wrong.

My simple solutions to two businesses in trouble served me well, both financially and in terms of a very early retirement. Both times at the outset I was told that I was wrong by the timid.

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl and tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sometimes I wonder whether Corbyn, like Wurzel Gummidge get up with the wrong head on
"Mr Corbyn wants to return a number of key industries, including the railways, to public ownership, but EU competition laws present significant obstacles to that."
"Whilst DB AG is a public limited company, all its shares are presently owned by the government of the Federal Republic of Germany.!

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The concept of "the rights of man " was not strong in official circles
Has it not always been so?

As I recall, any rights gained for ordinary people were hard-won over many years of struggle and were always the result of trade union officials fighting at great personal risk against employers who literally, in many cases, held the power of life and death over the working class.

Certainly, the current administration has displayed a determination to scrap various articles of legislation, mostly in order to restore the right of employers to hire and fire as they see fit and without any form of legal redress for those sacked unfairly. A financial obstacle to sacked workers is already in place to deter those wishing to challenge an unfair dismissal.

Unless the British electorate begins to view politics in a dispassionate way and hold their MPs to account, based on their parliamentary voting record, we will never enjoy the freedoms, rights and entitlements of those who live in modern democracies elsewhere.

This monarchical democracy is simply unfit for purpose and long overdue a complete change. If anyone doubts that, check out the increasing frequency with which British troops are used on the streets. Those soldiers are not there to protect the common people; nor are they there to guarantee our freedoms under human rights legislation - far from it, they are there to protect the rich and ensure that the government of those rich people, a government by rich people and a government for rich people are able to do whatever they want.

Those old enough to remember Tianenman Square and Wenceslas Square will be acquainted with the newsreel footage from those times and the horrible, brutal murders of unarmed civilians simply demonstrating against government oppression. We are very close to that scenario in the UK today. This Westminster government will have no compunction about using lethal force against ordinary people on British streets - tory governments have a history of deploying the military against demonstrators. Sadly, those brainwashed troops led by their equally brainwashed commanders will obey orders, mistakenly believing that they are doing something good for their own people.

Tom

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apparently, these figures come from legitimate sources which, if true, I find astonishing. Has any political proponent of the 'Brexit' camp ever told us about these numbers? I can't recall seeing them.

21761590_1001408750001644_6002334334063713761_n.jpg

Still, it'll be worth it just to have sovereignty back from wherever it went whenever it happened......maybe there was something on the referendum ballot paper with regard to this cost - if so, I must have missed it.

Tom

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I'd make that "assumed to be wrong". Mistrust of a simple solution and the desire by so many to over complicate all too often means simple solutions aren't tried on the assumption that the simplicity must make them wrong.

My simple solutions to two businesses in trouble served me well, both financially and in terms of a very early retirement. Both times at the outset I was told that I was wrong by the timid.
I agree with the correction. Clear thinking helps.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
do you think it's time for Boris Johnson to resign?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Still, it'll be worth it just to have sovereignty back from wherever it went whenever it happened....
yes.
apparently, the poorer your are, the more it's worth it.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not on his own.
his should be enough. At the moment, we know roughly what the brexit destination is, EFTA access to the single market but without FOM, like CETA, which is incoherent. If Boris Johnson resigns, we can be a lot nearer to EFTA. Labour strategy is also close to EFTA. Then it should be plain sailing.

• Disagree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
his should be enough. At the moment, we know roughly what the brexit destination is, EFTA access to the single market but without FOM, like CETA, which is incoherent. If Boris Johnson resigns, we can be a lot nearer to EFTA. Labour strategy is also close to EFTA. Then it should be plain sailing.
No it simply will not, it is just a fudge, and does nothing to address the fact that like an old run down pub, this country cannot survive on it's own, it is too small, under invested, behind the times technology wise, the infrastructure is derelict, brought low by Rabid Bankers and Investers.
There is no hope of progress when we have archaic Government structures run as an old boys club by a motley band of imps, pimps and Banjo players posing as friends of the Public, and the Managerial Classes are not capable of doing anything other than walk away with grossly over generous salaries in return for failure.

No effort is ever made to do anything other than toincrease the wealth gap between the still prevalent classes and it is falling back into being a right wing autocracy like a relic of the Middle Ages, it has no viable future outside of a bigger grouping, as sooner or later the Public will realise they have been had and all hell will be let loose.

Plain Sailing into an iceberg is the reality of out situation

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
History will record these days as the time when Parliament suffered the greatest breakdown of responsibility it has ever done , to surrender the future of the nation in a direction where it didn't want to go , and once the pain is felt the public won't want either.
Brexit is the Biggest Confidence trick of all time.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
History will record these days as the time when Parliament suffered the greatest breakdown of responsibility it has ever done
We know hard brexit is now dead in the water.
We also know both labour and tory want more or less the same trade deal.
David Davis said the policy in Mrs May's Florence speech "had been coming for a long time".
So it has taken the tory 6 months to decide to delay brexit, which is the same as accepting that hard brexit won't work.
Compare the situation now to that in March, I'd say a lot of progress has been made.
brexit should have been an all party issue but the MPs are currently still whipped to their respective party's line, it is therefore very tricky to achieve consensus across all parties.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I am in a Greek city Ionnina, last night was talking to a group of very bright medical students about Brexit. These were all trainee doctors,spoke perfect English.
They all pretty much asked the same question 'why doesn't England want them anymore'
I couldn't give them a good answer,except to say that my country is going through a bout of empire delusion that will pass once we realise we are the poorer for our xenophobic attitudes. It will change when this batch of old fascists die off and the young are seen to welcome Europe once again.
Shame to apologise for our once welcoming country.
The Greeks understood, they suggested that history in Ionnina was based upon Ali Pasha,a nasty dictator.
KudosDave

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
They all pretty much asked the same question 'why doesn't England want them anymore'
strange question.
middle England may not want more fruit pickers but need medics more than ever before.
I hope you told them that they are very much wanted and welcome.
brexit only affects fruit pickers.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: oldtom and tillson

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I am in a Greek city Ionnina, last night was talking to a group of very bright medical students about Brexit. These were all trainee doctors,spoke perfect English.

KudosDave
I sincerely hope that you put them right and told them in no uncertain terms that they are very welcome to travel here, to live, to settle and to build life time careers. If not, why not?

To apologise to the students is to foster a lie and you are being most dishonest in doing so. You know very well that it has always been the case that people who posses skills which the UK needs will always be welcome, whatever their nationality or country of origin. It has always been made very clear that BREXIT was not about changing that. The notion that post BREXIT the UK is going to expel or reject people such as those medical students is a lie put about by the Remain camp and it is a lie nurtured by people such as yourself making foolish apologies instead of telling the truth. You can probably point to random idiot members of the public who would support such a ban, but in the same way, I can identify random Remainers who harbour equally idiotic views.

What you have done with those medical students is to lie to them by an act of omission. You omitted to tell the truth that I have outlined in the above paragraph. Unacceptable KudosDave and you surprise me.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
strange question.
middle England may not want more fruit pickers but need medics more than ever before.
I hope you told them that they are very much wanted and welcome.
brexit only affects fruit pickers.
Interesting choice of words. I would say that the UK needs these medics but doesn't want them. Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not that is the strong perception amongst non UK eu citizens working in sumilar positions in England today.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
No it simply will not, it is just a fudge, and does nothing to address the fact that like an old run down pub, this country cannot survive on it's own, it is too small, under invested, behind the times technology wise, the infrastructure is derelict, brought low by Rabid Bankers and Investers.
There is no hope of progress when we have archaic Government structures run as an old boys club by a motley band of imps, pimps and Banjo players posing as friends of the Public, and the Managerial Classes are not capable of doing anything other than walk away with grossly over generous salaries in return for failure.

No effort is ever made to do anything other than toincrease the wealth gap between the still prevalent classes and it is falling back into being a right wing autocracy like a relic of the Middle Ages, it has no viable future outside of a bigger grouping, as sooner or later the Public will realise they have been had and all hell will be let loose.

Plain Sailing into an iceberg is the reality of out situation
I particularly like this post of yours OG. Your descriptions are priceless and stunningly accurate while your closing summary, based on actual truths rather than the fantasies from the 'Woosh' chappie really does illustrate the here and now of the 'Brexit' movement.

With regard to 'EFTA', there is this question: Why would any European state choose to leave the 'Premier League' and ply its trade in the second tier? If the best economic brains across Europe thought the idea was really good, why haven't the Germans, French and indeed any of the 27 other sovereign nation states been clamouring to take that step?

'Brexit' is no more than a wet dream for the racists and fascists in the UK without any factual evidence to give credence to the project. The secession proponents have, shall we call it, a couple of years now, to provide some certainty that the UK will be the better for exiting one of the great trading blocs in this 21st century.

'No such undertaking has been received' from the 'Brexit' High Command, to paraphrase (badly) Neville Chamberlain's address to the nation 78 years ago this month, so we now face the prospect, not of defeat by military force, but by economic and political suicide.

Aldi and Lidl trade all over Europe and have carved out for themselves a huge chunk of the UK supermarket business. I read in the British media that Aldi has produced trading figures which reveal a huge increase in turnover while profits are actually down.

For some strange reason, certain prices are easy to remember and one of the products I always have a few of in my pantry in England and in Spain, is flavoured noodles. Hardly a superfood, I know, but a pleasant, quick snack on occasions. Shortly after the referendum when the £ sank against the €, the price of a packet of noodles in England rose from 18p to 20p. Since then it has further risen in two steps to now stand at 24p. One doesn't need a degree in maths to work out that 24p represents a 33.3% price hike in just a few months.

I use those figures simply because they are easy to remember and I happened to notice when the price changed. As the 'Brexit' effects really do start to take hold over the next couple of years, those kinds of price increases will be seen in a huge variety of imported products and that is before any additional tariffs are imposed. At some point, even the most ardent racists are going to question the veracity of the outpourings from the shysters pretending to be our greatest ambassadors and statesmen.

It isn't as if there is any good news on the horizon to temper the wallet-draining price increases which are now inevitable as there isn't any good news. Re-gurgitating the same old claptrap about using the money saved from our our EU subs to improve the NHS is all the evidence anyone should need to realise that the tory government has absolutely nothing new to offer the electorate.

Of course, if you are into fantasies, you might wish to pin your hopes on EFTA membership but that is only if you are a desperate fantasist whose grip on reality has been lost somewhere in between the various speeches and pronouncements from pontificating liars, known and proven liars.

If I were in a position to give advice to young people, it would be to carve out a new life outside of the UK as the future prospects for the young in the UK have become increasingly dismal in recent months.

Tom

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I would say that the UK needs these medics but doesn't want them. Whether you wish to acknowledge it or not that is the strong perception amongst non UK eu citizens working in sumilar positions in England today.
That "perception" may very well be valid, but it is not the truth. The "perception" is allowed to grow and develop by people such as KudosDave because it suits their Remain agenda by tainting BREXIT. What KudosDave is actually doing is consciously allowing a lie to develop and gather credibility, which in turn has the effect of scaring and deterring innocent people. It's a rather nasty course of action to embark upon.

Advertisers