Brexit, for once some facts.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Canada, Australia, Greenland, all do quite well, but don't shut up[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
none of them has greater population than ours.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I see it as the first step to a soft Brexit and major disappointment for the core Brexiters who want complete separation from the EU.
that bunch numbers about 40-60 MPs.
The problem is the other 600 MPs are too lazy to face them down.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Isn't it all great Fun?
From the Daily Mail

"May is accused of BETRAYING referendum by effectively keeping Britain in EU until 2021 as she climbs down on citizens' rights and borders with €20bn bung for Brussels in bid to revive Brexit talks.
And Gove and Boris approve (for now)

But oh Dear! the Reader's Comments are shall we say less enthusiastic?
Here is one
"
OldbutnotOut, London, moments ago

Once again the government has sold us down the river. By 2021 there will be another 2,000,000 illegal immigrants and and EU citizens receiving our benefits. We have some of the highest taxes on the richest MPs and the worst Hospital, Railways and public services in the world.

I suspect we are about to encounter turbulence as the Chief architects of Brexit have so clearly done a "U" turn as far as the Faithful are concerned.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I have read the content of May's Speech and there is definitely a really great idea hidden among the Garbage.

It's a little like a scene from Pirates of the Caribbean where Captain Sparrow has been captured, his hands tied behind his back and is being prodded out along the plank with a Cutlass

"A last request as promised by the Pirate's Code!" He cries
After much discussion Captain Barbossa finally agrees

"What do thee want?"
"Have you got a longer Plank? " is the Hopeful reply.

Smart move, great Strategic thinking! well done TM

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
'It's a loada cobblers guv'nor! These people ain't got a scooby 'bout wot they're doin'!' I'm sure we've all heard similar sentiments recently.

There is a word which beautifully describes that stuff that sometimes sticks to the sole of your shoe when you walk down a track frequently used by dog walkers - that word is 'Mandelson'!

Incredibly, this creature is still haunting the political scene in the UK, these days under the guise of a 'leading supporter of Open Britain'. I really don't understand why any journalist or indeed any person of sound mind would wish to interview this failed non-politician on any matter, let alone the most important issue to face the nation since 1939. I certainly don't need Mandelson's peculiar insight to know that Theresa May has got herself stuck fast between a rock and a hard place and I would not welcome any of his views on any political matter. Indeed, I wouldn't spit on the lying bar steward if he were on fire!

Mrs May's speech was a pathetic effort, not in the least stateswoman-like, and hardly likely to impress anyone on the EU side of the negotiating table. Neither will her words provide any comfort for the 'Brexidiots' who have hung their hat on a clean and total break with the EU. The quislings in her cabinet who applaud her effort today are almost certainly already planning her demise from mainstream politics as we sit and watch TV this evening....or listen to the wireless!

'Brexit' is now looking increasingly like a lame-duck policy and Mrs May is a dead-woman walking in political terms. Even if they decide to persevere with what can only be a hard 'Brexit' now, the game is up for the PM and very probably, her whole party. They will not survive another general election.

mandelson_may_s_speech_just_kicked_the_can_down_the_road

Tom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mrs May's speech was a pathetic effort, not in the least stateswoman-like, and hardly likely to impress anyone on the EU side of the negotiating table.
you have got it completely wrong.
She has come off the fence like JC has.
Her speech is good. I liked it.
The country will make good use of it. Let's watch the exchange rate tomorrow.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
you have got it completely wrong.
She has come off the fence like JC has.
Her speech is good. I liked it.
The country will make good use of it. Let's watch the exchange rate tomorrow.
She's just trying to buy time in the hope that the Brexit issue will go into the background long enough for her to keep the job till the next election.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
She's just trying to buy time in the hope that the Brexit issue will go into the background long enough for her to keep the job till the next election.
may be she is only interested to keep her job until 2021 but I think she has done the right thing, come off the fence and accepted that the UK is still not strong enough for hard brexit, therefore a 2 year transition period is needed.
It's progress toward a solution but the final destination is still hard brexit.
The next stage is to define the shape our future relationship with the EU.
At the moment, she suggests that will be EFTA without FOM, without customs union. That's having cake and eating it.
I think we are heading for semi-hard brexit, Canada style, until it is clear that semi-hard brexit does not pay. Then we'll be ready for efta.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Not really BREXIT related, but a good illustration of what a complete shower of sh 1 T this government are and how their propaganda machine ( The Daily Fail and other rags) support their dishonesty. It also illustrates how deceitfuly the people leading us into BREXIT behave.

This letter asks some good questions of the PM. I particularly like the one which asks why the independent pay review's recommendation to give MPs a 13% pay rise was implemented in full, yet the independent pay review results into police pay have been totally disregarded. This is no way to lead a country. I only pick on the police because someone sent me the letter below. I suspect similar hypocrisy exists across the entire public sector.

Don't lose sight of the fact that when May ignored the Independent pay review results into police pay when she was Home Secretary and the Federation called her out, she threatend to scrap the pay review body, move pay review into the Home Office and seize Federation assets. This is how dangerous this disgusting and unsightly pig of a woman has become.

As much as I like some of JC's policies, the thought of a Labour or Lib Dem government scares me. We are in a mess politically.

An open letter to Government, on behalf of the 43 Federations of England and Wales

22 September, 2017

Dear Prime Minister

On behalf of the hard working officers who are working to the bone to protect our people, who fight to protect our communities and who keep you safe, we demand answers.

And we demand that you tell the public the truth. About crime figures. About police numbers. About the ‘extra’ officers you pledge. About ‘extra’ money you say you will pay.

No more smoke. No more mirrors. No more double standards.

You expect officers to run towards terrorists one minute and then turn your backs when we ask for help so they can afford to feed their families. Families they barely see because of the hours they work to fill the void left by the thousands of officers who are no longer there because of your cuts.

Officers who are now broken. Who are unable to cope with the mental and physical demands placed upon them by having to work in depleted environments. With out of date kit .With fewer people. With no support. One chief constable has just this week told you that 40% of his officers have sought professional help for stress. It is the tip of the iceberg.

Our officers are committed to serving the public. And we thank the public for their overwhelming support, particularly in light of recent incidents. But with 20,000 fewer police officers than five years ago it is no wonder we have seen crime rise and the service to the public suffer. This is not fair on them.

And two per cent pay rise with no extra money to pay for it means it is the public who will yet again suffer and get even less of a service.
So hear us when we say:

• The pay award of on average less than £10 a week is insulting.
  • A two per cent rise is not a rise when it has to come from existing policing budgets.
  • It’s a disgrace you have dressed it up as a pay rise.
  • Funding must come centrally; it is unfair to make the public suffer with fewer officers available to fight crime.
  • It’s a disgrace you have ignored the recommendations from the independent Police Remuneration Review Body – the very body you set up to advise on police pay.
  • Forces cannot cope with any further falls in police numbers.
  • Communities will be further under threat at the very time protection is needed the most. Community policing plays a vital part in intelligence gathering to help combat terrorism and it has been decimated.
  • ‘Extra’ police officers are not ‘extra’ police officers. They are the same officers doing longer hours, being called back in when they are off or being given extra responsibilities.
  • Crime is not falling.
And answer our questions:

• Why was the independent body which has awarded MPs and ministers a 13% rise over the last three years listened to when the independent police body on pay was not?
  • How can you justify these double standards?
  • Do you think it is acceptable that the derisory pay award is expected to come at a cost of losing more officers?

Our members have been failed by:

• The FAILURE to heed our warnings.
  • The FAILURE to implement the very recommendations of the independent bodies you introduced.
  • The FAILURE to support them and the police service as a whole.
  • The FAILURE to help officers protect the country.
  • The FAILURE to help officers protect the public adequately.

We don’t want meaningless platitudes.

We want a properly funded and well-resourced police service. The public rightly want and expect this.

For the sake of those who put their lives on the line for the public we demand you address these injustices and give us answers.

Members of the interim National Council

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: flecc

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
For the benefit of those who think there is even a scintilla of truth remaining in the claims by 'Brexidiots' and and all the apologists for the fascist gang of Oligarchs and Plutocrats hell-bent on leading the UK into political and economic isolation, while at the same time diminishing the country's status to that of a third-world, dystopian nightmare:

21617487_1570367982984332_1515078087704776313_n.jpg

Tom

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
"Those abused girls in Rotherham and elsewhere just need to shut their mouths. For the good of diversity."

You may not have heard anything about the above message which appeared on Twitter. Naz Sha, the Labour MP liked and retweeted those words from her Twitter account.

What is JC doing about it?

What if a UKIP member had done something equally inflammatory?

Would the reporting and the backlash have been equal in magnitude if UKIP had published such filth?

It just shows how the state controlled news media shepherds us along a carefully chosen path.

The country has gone to the dogs.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
"Those abused girls in Rotherham and elsewhere just need to shut their mouths. For the good of diversity."

You may not have heard anything about the above message which appeared on Twitter. Naz Sha, the Labour MP liked and retweeted those words from her Twitter account.

What is JC doing about it?

What if a UKIP member had done something equally inflammatory?

Would the reporting and the backlash have been equal in magnitude if UKIP had published such filth?

It just shows how the state controlled news media shepherds us along a carefully chosen path.

The country has gone to the dogs.
The entire episode has been swept under carpet, cant say much because wife is involved in current police investigations ( she was a social worker in one of affected regions) We have only herd a fraction of what happened and of what's happening...I suspect inninterests of civil rest what's happening is being kept quiet...nobody dare say too much...look what happened to Rotherham mp !!!
Its all a complete disgrace and far more widespread than currently being reported.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
The entire episode has been swept under carpet, cant say much because wife is involved in current police investigations ( she was a social worker in one of affected regions) We have only herd a fraction of what happened and of what's happening...I suspect inninterests of civil rest what's happening is being kept quiet...nobody dare say too much...look what happened to Rotherham mp !!!
Its all a complete disgrace and far more widespread than currently being reported.
You are right, they are trying to keep a lid on this and I suspect / know many other issues, which if became public knowledge would lead to unrest. But what a disgrace that governments of all sides have brought us to this point.

The trouble with keeping a lid on issues like Rotherham is that the pressure inside the vessel increases. Eventually the lid will be blown off. Better to get things out in the open, confront the unpleasant in a mature and rational manner and move on.

Last edited:

Steb

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2017
london
You are right, they are trying to keep a lid on this and I suspect / know many other issues, which if became public knowledge would lead to unrest. But what a disgrace that governments of all sides have brought us to this point.

The trouble with keeping a lid on issues like Rotherham is that the pressure inside the vessel increases. Eventually the lid will be blown off. Better to get things out in the open, confront the unpleasant in a mature and rational manner and move on.
as in the mature rational way we do on the thread? this little body politic has always been rotten. slavery, colonialism, inventing concentration camps aside, there's jabez balfour, Marconi, profumo, archer, etc etc etc. Blair Cameron and May are very much a continuation of the the norm. they are what every Briton should have come to expect. when we voted brexit I realised its largely been a matter of the company getting the management it deserves.

Advertisers