Brexit, for once some facts.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Tends to be true and is a phrase often used in military circles where realism favours the use of words such as 'Should', rather than 'Will" and you will rarely see certainty expressed over a future arranged event. That's not to say there won't meticulous planning involved, for the potential problems that might arise but in the end, experience and training will make it alright on the night. That's confidence, not a lot of that on here I note!
That statement reads very much like the opinion of someone brainwashed by military training.

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Steb

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That statement reads very much like the opinion of someone brainwashed by military training.

Tom
Sergeant Major prods scruffy recruit with his baton
"There's an idiot on the end of my stick!"
Recruit replies
"Not on my end Sir!"

Welcome to the Guardhouse.
This is known as "Military Training"

• :D
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Tom
The lifestyle appeals to those who don't mind being turned into and used as someone elses Monkey.
I come from a Military Family going back generations and we all learned that while initially it was appealing, the illusion faded over time, as an understanding of how little you mattered to those in power soaked in.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the BBC
"
Over a working dinner of gnocchi and "pheasant supreme" on Thursday night, the prime minister told fellow EU leaders she was determined the UK would be a strong partner on issues from security, defence and climate change to trade, a senior government source told the BBC's Laura Kuenssberg.

The PM told them the EU-UK's future relationship should be a "close economic partnership" which supports "prosperity for all our peoples" and that they could be optimistic and ambitious as they already shared "the same set of fundamental beliefs".

Wouldn't it be a good idea to JOIN this EU thingy? it sounds like a BRILLIANT
IDEA and Mrs May is clearly all for it.....
Oh.........

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The way things are going it looks as if we will actually not leave the EU but simple pretend we have and lie to appease the Brexit Voters, and why not? lying is after all simply a ploy employed all the time by Politicians, getting elected into power requires any party that wishes to do so to out lie the opposition.

Lets face it Conservative Politicians when aided by the Murdoch Press are the greatest team of liars in the world.

This should be a piece of Cake for them.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the EU is of course brilliant but it's far from perfect. Mr Varoufakis called it 'an authoritarian incompetence' which I find well justified. As long as the Euro continues to be a source of discontent in eurozone countries with high unemployment, we should be better off being outside the EU while it sorts its future out, whether it wants to be the US of E or not.
Personally, I think Mr Juncker is delusional in talking up the EU army and so on.
Staunch remainers should stop talking about the EU as if everything it does is an illustration of wisdom, it does not convince brexiters to change their mind one bit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09bcrn6/this-week-19102017

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oh.........
EGGZAAKLY!

We could be in there, sharing the same currency and contributing to the future shape and direction of the organisation.

I think it is a fantastic idea!

Tom

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
The way things are going it looks as if we will actually not leave the EU but simple pretend we have and lie to appease the Brexit Voters, and why not? lying is after all simply a ploy employed all the time by Politicians, getting elected into power requires any party that wishes to do so to out lie the opposition.

Lets face it Conservative Politicians when aided by the Murdoch Press are the greatest team of liars in the world.

This should be a piece of Cake for them.
These words from the perceptive Nye Bevan in the middle of the last century reflect your view, one that I share fully.

aneurin_bevan_lying.jpg

Tom

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Seems whilst many have been arguing pros and cons of brexit, and some simply knocking Brexit, others have been busy building for the future.
Peter Hargreaves has started a new investment company, he,s still on board at HL but plays little part in it nowadays.
His new company is planning on giving capital growth for investors ( income has always been favoured in past by UK investors, catered for in HL)
His policy with his new company is investment out of EU, predominantly USA, which he argues is under represented in UK at moment. He,s talking 69% in USA, 20% UK , rest world wide. But then again what does he know about economics of UK...after all he only made rich 150 list starting up in a spare bedroom. He,s UK based and will remain so. He has a private jet at Heathrow for holidays. He,s worth over 2 billion..and he,s paid enough tax to keep a small town going. HL is biggest investment company in UK...
I wonder who I,ll take advice from for economic success in UK...knockers on here or PH..

Last edited:

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
EGGZAAKLY!

We could be in there, sharing the same currency and contributing to the future shape and direction of the organisation.

I think it is a fantastic idea!

Tom
The one thing that the Government did get unquestionably right was NOT joining the Euro. To have done so either then or in the immediate future would simply see us fail along with the rest, albeit that would be a form of contributing to the future shape and direction.

Both Switzerland and the UK have major financial centres.
and it looks like the UK is giving its one up, because we're chasing a dream of what exactly?

Lloyd Blankfein, one of Wall Street’s best known financiers, on Thursday tweeted: “Just left Frankfurt. Great meetings, great weather, really enjoyed it. Good, because I'll be spending a lot more time there. #Brexit.”

• Informative
  • Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
and it looks like the UK is giving its one up, because we're chasing a dream of what exactly?

Lloyd Blankfein, one of Wall Street’s best known financiers, on Thursday tweeted: “Just left Frankfurt. Great meetings, great weather, really enjoyed it. Good, because I'll be spending a lot more time there. #Brexit.”
How on earth can you delight in posting this? In the event it doesn't really matter, these guys are quite rightly, preparing themselves for whatever happens. Sure, he would have had a great time in Frankfurt and been well looked after.

• Dislike

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
The lifestyle appeals to those who don't mind being turned into and used as someone elses Monkey.
I come from a Military Family going back generations and we all learned that while initially it was appealing, the illusion faded over time, as an understanding of how little you mattered to those in power soaked in.
My take of this is that the family didn't speak much even if you did come to the same conclusion over the generations?

Can only assume that it was you that broke the mould seeing as you know so little about the appeal and indeed the lifestyle.

How on earth can you delight in posting this? In the event it doesn't really matter, these guys are quite rightly, preparing themselves for whatever happens. Sure, he would have had a great time in Frankfurt and been well looked after.
What makes you think I'm delighted about this?

its a disaster!!!

Something from our industry.

UK cycle industry predicted to sell 1 million fewer bikes this year

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/uk-cycle-industry-predicted-to-sell-1-million-fewer-bikes-this-year/022040

Yes, that's 1 MILLION, less bike sales.

What on earth makes you think I'm happy about the way things are going?

Why do you think we're trying to stop it??

• Agree

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
UK cycle industry predicted to sell 1 million fewer bikes this year

Why do you think we're trying to stop it??
Having read the article I came away with this:

Secret Accountant fears that more bicycle businesses will fail this year, and he's not alone. What's causing this global slowdown in bike sales? If there's one single reason – and, in a complex world, this is unlikely – the reason would be fashion. Cycling is in one of its periodic troughs. As I explain in my book Bike Boom the popularity of cycling – both in sales and in use – seems to go in 15–20-year, er, cycles.

No one would be pleased to see any industry suffer but it is just too convenient to lay the blame on Brexit - would seem that you're out of fashion this year.

Advertisers