Brexit, for once some facts.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Okay, that's not the first time your poor basic grammar has flummoxed me. In post #20982, I drew attention to how your lazy written form of vernacular was difficult to understand and as I'm guilty of skim-reading posts in a fast-moving thread, I failed to grasp that you were actually referring to Carlton Reid's book. That, in turn explains why I imagined that you might well be the said Carlton Reid, (maybe a nom de plume?).

'Send three and fourpence - we're gong to a dance!'

Tom
Yet you credit me with having written a book! The hardest word is Sorry.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Agreed, and I didn't say it did, just referring to it as another issue in reference to some countries. I've closely followed the reasons for the failures of all the weaker EU countries and know the euro plays a miniscule part in their problems and not the major part some seem to believe. The successful euro countries prove that.

Broadly speaking the failing EU countries only suffer from self inflicted problems. Any slight effect on their failings due to the EU is more than compensated for by the advantages of being in the union.
An expert even?

Expert - A person with more data than judgment.

• Dislike
Reactions: oldtom
yes. The BoE planned it.
That's why the London stock market did not crash.
If we were in the Eurozone, the Euro could not be devalued, so the stock market would have taken 20% hit instead of the Pound. That would have triggered programmed selling with dire consequences for our economy.
Ok, I'll bite.... any evidence for this revelation?

before I pick holes in it.

• :D
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee

Not the answer to your question. However, you might want to reflect on it?

"Sterling’s fall following the ERM exit did trigger an export recovery, says Kit Juckes at Société Générale. It plunged nearly 35 per cent against the dollar in the six months after Black Wednesday, driving up export volumes and wiping out the trade deficit. Its decline “sowed the seeds of a better economy”.

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: Zlatan and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk

pick away if you like. I like some of the things that EU created but I am not mad keen for it.
I think people should be more critical before saying that brexit is wrong.

Reactions: Zlatan
Not the answer to your question. However, you might want to reflect on it?

"Sterling’s fall following the ERM exit did trigger an export recovery, says Kit Juckes at Société Générale. It plunged nearly 35 per cent against the dollar in the six months after Black Wednesday, driving up export volumes and wiping out the trade deficit. Its decline “sowed the seeds of a better economy”.
I appreciate that... but as you say it doesn't answer my question in anyway shape or form and does some what lead onto the point I wanted to make.

There is no indication at all anywhere, that the devaluation of the £ was a deliberate or even positive act. We are a nation of importers.

The fact inflation is rising faster than wages and we already have pretty much full employment does somewhat suggest that even if it was a plan, it wasn't a sensible one. We hadn't had another black wednesday., that I'm aware of.. Brexit is supposed to be a positive isn't it? Or so you keep telling us, so why the need to collapse the currency, if its all going to be milk and honey??

Which is it?? You think its a good thing, and you're now comparing it to Black Wednesday....

Do you see my confusion

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon
I think people should be more critical before saying that brexit is wrong.
you added this bit after I replied, but its VERY important so I'm going to reply.

This is at the heart of my issues.

You think I should be more critical before I say its wrong...

I'd argue you're asking me to sign up to something you yourself don't even have a grasp of. What is Brexit??

No deal? Norway style? or something else... I know you might know what you want it to be, but there are 17 million of you guys who voted for this and you all have very different ideas. So how am I supposed to be in favour of something that hasn't even been agreed yet?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and robdon

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
See above ...

But just to be clear.

What gives you the impression it was a choice made by the UK?

and

Why the need to collapse the currency when you think Brexit is a positive?
In many ways it's irrelevant. The pound against other currencies goes up and down most days of the week, as do Stocks and Shares. However, with Brexit that brought uncertainties and it went down. OK, imports, some, not all, are more expensive, but our exports are cheaper, so we sell more - that's good for 'real' jobs and there are still plenty of them. Fear not, the Pound will rise again and in many way Harold Wilson, was right. You might have noticed that out tax revenues went up the last quarter so much so that the deficit was significantly reduced.

• Agree
Reactions: Zlatan
In many ways it's irrelevant the pound against other currencies goes up and down most days of the week, as do Stocks and Shares. However, with Brexit that brought uncertainties and it went down. OK, imports, some, not all, are more expensive, but our exports are cheaper, so we sell more - that's good for 'real' jobs and there are still plenty of them. Fear not, the Pound will rise again and in many way Harold Wilson, was right. You might have noticed that out tax revenues went up the last quarter so much so that the deficit was significantly reduced.
ah, which imports haven't gone up?? They are all paid for in other currencies, so they all have gone up.

and which exports have benefited?

Because the ONS - don't seem to show any surge in exports at all. If you can show me some figures that show that we've seen a growth in exports, I'll happily read it.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/june2017

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
See above ...

But just to be clear.

What gives you the impression it was a choice made by the UK?

and

Why the need to collapse the currency when you think Brexit is a positive?
When the result was known, the obvious reaction is to sell anything owned by the Brits or linked to the Brits.
The BoE rehearsed that scenario months before and decided to let the market know that it will pump liquidity into British banks, that means it signaled to the market to sell Pound instead of FTSE shares because the Pound is guaranteed to sink. Shemoz canconfirm this, he made a packet on the day.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
ah, which imports haven't gone up?? They are all paid for in other currencies, so they all have gone up.

and which exports have benefited?

Because the ONS - don't seem to show any surge in exports at all. If you can show me some figures that show that we've seen a growth in exports, I'll happily read it.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/bulletins/uktrade/june2017
Britain’s factories benefited from a surge in sales to the EU in the first half of this year as export growth outstripped import growth.

The UK still imports far more than it exports leaving the country with a goods deficit amounting to €53bn (£48bn) for the six months to June in its trade with the EU, but that is down from €57.8bn in the same period of 2016.

A weaker pound meansBritish-made goods are more competitive abroad, while imports are more expensive to UK companies and consumers.

Britain exports €104bn of goods to the rest of the world, outweighing the €94.7bn of goods it sends to EU customers. But UK imports from the EU amount to €147.7bn, while those from elsewhere come in at €134.7bn.

The UK's total trade deficit has shrunk from €102.2bn in the first half of 2016 to €83.7bn this year.

The Pound is up 8% in Argentina!

When the result was known, the obvious reaction is sell anything owned by the Brits or linked to the Brits.
The BoE rehearsed that scenario months before and decided to let the market know that it will pump liquidity into British banks, that means it signaled to the market to sell Pound instead of FTSE shares because the Pound is guaranteed to sink. Shemoz canconfirm this, he made a packet on the day.
you've made some statements, that I'm not disagreeing with.

What you've not done is explained how the UK made the £s value fall.

and you've also not explained why it would need or want to fall, if Brexit is a positive?

If it was a positive thing surely it would increase the value of our currency, its just been compared to Black Wednesday by someone pro Brexit... do you not see why that doesn't add up??

• Agree
Britain’s factories benefited from a surge in sales to the EU in the first half of this year as export growth outstripped import growth.

The UK still imports far more than it exports leaving the country with a goods deficit amounting to €53bn (£48bn) for the six months to June in its trade with the EU, but that is down from €57.8bn in the same period of 2016.

A weaker pound meansBritish-made goods are more competitive abroad, while imports are more expensive to UK companies and consumers.

Britain exports €104bn of goods to the rest of the world, outweighing the €94.7bn of goods it sends to EU customers. But UK imports from the EU amount to €147.7bn, while those from elsewhere come in at €134.7bn.

The UK's total trade deficit has shrunk from €102.2bn in the first half of 2016 to €83.7bn this year.
ok you've quoted some text from the Telegraph... There doesn't seem to be evidence of a surge when you actually look at the data though. The ONS says this:

• Despite higher trade prices and weaker sterling, there were similar increases in export and import volumes of goods, by 5.0% and 4.8% respectively, in Quarter 2 2017 compared with the same period a year earlier.
If they'd been a surge in exports would you not expect these numbers to be different? Looks like exports and imports are growing at about the same rate?

There is a nice graph, which took me a whilst to grab. It shows growth in exports and imports, running roughly parallel

Last edited:
  • Useful

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
and you've also not explained why it would need or want to fall, if Brexit is a positive?
brexit has not happened yet, what we see is loss of confidence for the moment, the definitive market sentiment will be made when the negotiation with the EU comes to the end.
Confidence comes and goes. The BoE knew that the brexit result will cause flight of assets denominated in GBP. So it explained to the market what it would do so there won't be a flash crash. By telling the market that it won't change rate and will pump liquidity into the market instead, it made the Pound the designated target for the traders. Thus protecting the real economy.
The value of the Pound is usually underpinned by FDI. With money pouring out of London, the Pound sank.
When a deal with the EU is confirmed, confidence will come back. We have a flexible economy, established democracy and well developed justice system, there is no reason why London won't get back what it lost temporarily since the vote.

The Pound is up 8% in Argentina!
lol, really... you've never imported from Argentina I take it? the physical cost of an item is a % of the cost of getting it here. So even if the cost of the item has dropped 8% if the import costs / fuel / staff etc etc have all gone up.. The import will still cost more to the consumer in the UK.

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and oldtom
brexit has not happened yet, what we see is loss of confidence for the moment, the definitive market sentiment will be made when the negotiation with the EU comes to the end.
Confidence comes and goes. The BoE knew that the brexit result will cause flight of assets denominated in GBP. So it explained to the market what it would do so there won't be a flash crash. By telling the market that it won't change rate and pump liquidity into the market instead, it made the Pound the designated target for the traders. Thus protecting the real economy.
The value of the Pound is usually underpinned by FDI. With money pouring out of London, the Pound sank.
When a deal with the EU is confirmed, confidence will come back. We have a flexible economy, established democracy and well developed justice system, there is no reason why London won't get back what it lost temporarily since the vote.
and what if it gets worse? At what point might you think it is a bad idea? Because I'll be happy to admit I was wrong if it does turn out better.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Not necesssary in your case , they aren't to be taken seriously after all.

But you did manage to vote for Brexit (maybe) and what comes with that as baggage is not going to meet with your approval.
You are assuming again OG. I,ll state again, if we had a second ref I,d vote remain, not because I don't think we will prosper out of EU ( If PH thinks we will who are you and I to disagree) but to help prevent the divisive route current remainers have forced us down. In interests of unity I,d vote remain, but I fully support leaving. Its not that complicated OG, but then again it doesn't have to be to confuse some..

• :D
Reactions: PeterL and robdon

Advertisers