Brexit, for once some facts.

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
I have very long been, backed by some first hand hard evidence over many decades. As a result I give to none of them, despite being a major contributor to charitable causes throughout. For example, despite being a pensioner I will have given between £4500 and £5000 this year, but all of it targeted into actual benefit for the recipient causes with not a penny going in salaries. During my working life it was much more, all given on the same basis. Obviousy it's much more work to do that, but also much more satisfying.

Old Tom is right about the Children In Need campaign the BBC runs as a form of cheap programming to fill time slots. A few years ago they made a comment that was very revealing, saying it was so much work to distribute the money that it took an entire year, finishing just in time to start again.

Of course it did, the staff made damn sure of that to ensure they stayed in their paid jobs permanently.
Not your usual balanced reply. I'm not a fan of the larger charities but can accept that some of them do great good simply because of their scale. Yes, of course the BBC gain from doing it but equally the Charity is not paying them for their resources. Generally a Win - Win.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Tom

I too have an interest on how these charities use the money. However in this case I suspect that you may have been unfair, irrespective of how the BBC themselves chose to answer the FOI request.

All charities have to register with the Charities Commission and here is the report submitted by the BBC for the year in question

Children in Need

Seems to me that they did rather well albeit using such as GiftAid to cover their related expenses, not an small sum by any means.
Peter, I assume you had intended that as a link but it did not come across as such...

Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If you accept the validity of your first sentence, can you not therefore accept that the remainder is tripe.?
The UK will hit international legal difficulties , not just EU ones, if they attempt to bypass the Anglo Irish agreement( the so called Good Friday Agreement). That agreement was predicated on the assumption that both the UK and Ireland were members of the EU. There are a number of clauses in it and a range of rights ,committee, and councils . It is not open to unilateral repudiation. .
In my earlier posting I suggested that the money is not the overriding consideration that you think it is. When there is a need , money can always be found or diverted.
You use the word panicking describing the behaviour of EU officials, I would substitute being highly flustrated as the emotional state. Here we are nearly a year into the process and there are no suggestions that the UK has engaged in the process. If you have ever had the difficulty of dealing with a drunk or mentally ill person, one find it a very trying process. The EU is presumably attempting to negotiate with a schizophrenic UK team. The professional civil servants know, as do you also that remaining is the best option, their political masters are flipping and flopping , because neither faction has a clear majority and they don't actually know what they want.they have no mandate other than somehow to create an acceptable Brexit.
Appearances are that the UK are the worst government that I remember in my adult life but there are times when incompetence is an advantage....I wonder whether David Davis's lay back style is exactly what is needed for the UK to achieve a good deal....the Swedes,Danes and German business are all becoming frustrated with the U.K. that we are not coming up with a deal that allows easy trade into the UK.
Six months ago I was very supportive of a second referendum and thought with more knowledge that we would vote to Remain ,but the bullying and selfish attitudes of the EU may well have hardened attitudes amongst our electorate and now Leave may have a strong vote.
It is interesting that nobody,either EU or UK,is preparing for customs infrastructure at the Irish border or UK-EU trading ports,it looks like everyone has assumed that a FTD will be the outcome,albeit at the eleventh hour or the UK will be the worlds smuggling capital.
KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
...I wonder whether David Davis's lay back style is exactly what is needed for the UK to achieve a good deal...
No he won't, or he is not allowed to.
It is because DD bluffs, nobody in our government could believe that the EU officials do not bluff or less than they do.
That'll going to cost us more at the end.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Appearances are that the UK are the worst government that I remember in my adult life but there are times when incompetence is an advantage....I wonder whether David Davis's lay back style is exactly what is needed for the UK to achieve a good deal....the Swedes,Danes and German business are all becoming frustrated with the U.K. that we are not coming up with a deal that allows easy trade into the UK.
Six months ago I was very supportive of a second referendum and thought with more knowledge that we would vote to Remain ,but the bullying and selfish attitudes of the EU may well have hardened attitudes amongst our electorate and now Leave may have a strong vote.
It is interesting that nobody,either EU or UK,is preparing for customs infrastructure at the Irish border or UK-EU trading ports,it looks like everyone has assumed that a FTD will be the outcome,albeit at the eleventh hour or the UK will be the worlds smuggling capital.
KudosDave
The RoI did have a working group on customs in the tenure of our previous leader Enda, but our current leader Leo took the view that it was enabling the addiction of Brexit and has disbanded it.. at least publicly. Of course the EU has contingency plans for a UK walkout. As I warned a long time ago, it will not be pretty. The sight of Dover , the Newry road being vast lorry parks is not something I relish.
As a sign of the times, Irish Ferries, which would normally run a ship to France every second day, has commissioned a second ship so there will be daily direct ferry crossings Ireland to western France from summer 2018 doubling the freight capacity.

You have made a number of comments about" selfish and bullying " attitudes from the EU, care to identify these. At the very outset the EU published its strategy.. how the three problems of leaving would be considered first and then the problems and opportunities for a new relationship would be explore. It also agreed as a council that it would not engage in country by country bilaterals. If you used adjectives such as "rigid stance " inflexible I might concur.
That the refusal by individual states to accede to UK wishes for bilaterals, while the first item is still on the tables annnoys the British is their misreadings.

Incompetence in a government is never a good trait. The appearance of incompetence or irrational behaviour may have tactical advantages. I cannot believe that the latter is the case.

Last edited:

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
The RoI did have a working group on customs in the tenure of our previous leader Enda, but our current leader Leo took the view that it was enabling the addiction of Brexit and has disbanded it.. at least publicly. Of course the EU has contingency plans for a UK walkout. As I warned a long time ago, it will not be pretty. The sight of Dover , the Newry road being vast lorry parks is not something I relish.
As a sign of the times, Irish Ferries, which would normally run a ship to France every second day, has commissioned a second ship so there will be daily direct ferry crossings Ireland to western France from sumer 2018..
Cheap booze trips won't be affected by Brexit then?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not your usual balanced reply. I'm not a fan of the larger charities but can accept that some of them do great good simply because of their scale. Yes, of course the BBC gain from doing it but equally the Charity is not paying them for their resources. Generally a Win - Win.
The only really unbalanced thing is the BBC doing this, running a charity during program time is not what they are supposed to be doing. It was bad enough when they were taking up a whole evening of a channel, but this year was the worst yet, with various programs about Children in Need running over a two week span. Spare me the do-gooder stuff, they do it solely as a way to fill time slots as cheaply as possible.

I'm a supporter of the licence fee model, but not for this illegitimate purpose.

• Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
The only really unbalanced thing is the BBC doing this, running a charity during program time is not what they are supposed to be doing. It was bad enough when they were taking up a whole evening of a channel, but this year was the worst yet, with various programs about Children in Need running over a two week span. Spare me the do-gooder stuff, they do it solely as a way to fill time slots as cheaply as possible.

I'm a supporter of the licence fee model, but not for this illegitimate purpose.
I certainly don't bother to watch it either but, choose not to take your moral high-ground on the basis it does a lot of good, and to do so it needs the publicity. As for the do-gooder image, with you all the way but that's the way some people get to do things.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Come on OG you can surely be nicer than this? Such a response is totally over the top and verging on being nasty.
Really?? Zlatan did this with the single intent of annoying me, for there can be no other reason, can there?
And you criticise my reaction in asking him to post on topic?

Zlatan stepped outside the border of good Taste to indulge in what he would complain bitterly about had it been done to him
Juvenile though it was.
Are you condoning his behaviour?

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Really?? Zlatan did this with the single intent of annoying me, for there can be no other reason, can there?
And you criticise my reaction in asking him to post on topic?

Zlatan stepped outside the border of good Taste to indulge in what he would complain bitterly about had it been done to him
Juvenile though it was.
Are you condoning his behaviour?

You know exactly why I criticised what you did and it had nothing to do with asking him to post on topic. This personal stuff is not good and no one (any of us) should need to sink to such depths.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You know exactly why I criticised what you did and it had nothing to do with asking him to post on topic. This personal stuff is not good and no one (any of us) should need to sink to such depths.
Zlatan came on here to criticise everyone's attitude and behaviour, and for no other reason
On topic posts from him are rare as hens teeth, and his usual style is to resort to personal attacks, as you are doing now without any sense of irony.
My criticism of him is fully justified, he needs to make positive contributions (hard as that may be) to promote his cause, which he has not done in the past.

• Agree
  • Dislike
Reactions: Zlatan and robdon

PeterL

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2017
Dundee
Zlatan came on here to criticise everyone's attitude and behaviour, and for no other reason
On topic posts from him are rare as hens teeth, and his usual style is to resort to personal attacks, as you are doing now without any sense of irony.
My criticism of him is fully justified, he needs to make positive contributions (hard as that may be) to promote his cause, which he has not done in the past.

It is Sunday and 'turn the other cheek' comes to mind. But, if you really do think that this is a personal attack on you, by me, then, there's not much else to be said. Forget it OG, I'm not going to bother attempting anymore nice stuff. If this is how it should work, then so be it - we can all play that game.

Georgew

Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2016
Fife Scotland
I'm sensitive too and don't need the sarcasm thanks. Having now read the DT link I can see you're right, certainly when compared to earlier reports albeit there are some questions remaining about the cap on numbers.

Nice to think that you have a sense of humour.
I offer a helping hand and this is the thanks I get....I mean really........

I'm holding my breath and going red in the face trying very hard to imagine you as a "sensitive" person given that I'm aware that you are a supporter of the Tory policies.
The number of people using food banks still keeps rising yet I assume you support the austerity policies which we know causes a huge amount of hardship. You live in a City which traditionally has a high unemployment rate and which has been hit very hard by these policies and I assume you have some concern for your fellow-citizens......no reservations about these policies?
In Scotland one can look out to sea to where the oil rigs operate pumping out the oil......and then in-land at the youngsters sitting on their wet arses in the High street while holding out a paper cup for money.......does it ever make you think how such things are possible?

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have grown increasingly suspicious of organised charities.
And rightly so! When charities per se were recognised as a money-making opportunity by the entrepreneurial types, (thank you Mary Portas!), they were easily taken over by the tax-avoiding mafia of businessmen with an eye for a bargain!

It cannot have escaped notice that the prices in charity shops have risen enormously and many now actually have a problem with shoplifting. The increased prices were necessary, not to improve the money by donations of charity shoppers to the needy causes but to fund a salaried board overseeing each charity including a CEO with a six-figure annual salary, in some cases approaching that of some university vice-chancellors.

The staff in the High St shops give of their time voluntarily, rather than accept a wage, in order that the revenue generated is maximised and good causes benefit as they should.

I have alluded previously to charitable status in the UK and I firmly believe that a cross-party committee should examine the matter. Such status has been increasingly abused over the years and the treasury's tax-take has been diminished considerably. That is not to suggest that the major charities should be regarded as regular businesses for tax and VAT purposes but there are so many charities registered nowadays that they are as prolific as Quangos, and cost the taxpayer just as much.

Arthur Daley is alive and well - 'The world is your lobster, my son!'

Tom

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Advertisers