Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
And linked to Tommies concerns about the stability of RoI finances, yesterday the principal banker ( the predictive text was suggesting another noun), involved with the bank which spearheaded the crash, was jailed for 6 years. The charge was fraudulent accounting, and involved borrowing billions from another financial institution on deposit, just before accounts were finalised, and returning it after. It is highly unusual for such a high profile person to be jailed for white collar crime.

Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
You can listen to their fine words about democracy, then you remember their previous empty promises. When it comes down to it though, ye shall know them by their deeds!

35738963_997757627060525_4083457598534189056_n.jpg

This has once again reinforced what the great Nye Bevan said about the despicable party in the mid 20th century as this guy has noted:

The Pileus
@thepileus

No need to be surprised the 'Tory rebels' did not rebel today but voted with the Govt. Saying one thing but doing something else is an essential part of Toryism that goes back generations.

35758428_1838728136148314_8942327879723646976_o.png

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Telegraph
"
Airbus threatens to pull out of UK in 'no deal' Brexit scenario"

And in the Daily Mail
"Aerospace firm Airbus has warned it could pull out of the UK with the loss of thousands of jobs in the event of a 'no-deal' Brexit. The firm employs 14,000 people at 25 sites across the country and its supply chain supports an estimated 110,000 further jobs. But last night it's chief operating officer Tom Williams (pictured top) warned of dire consequences if Theresa May's (inset) government fails to win a Brexit deal. 'Far from Project Fear, this is a dawning reality for Airbus,' he said. 'Put simply, a no-deal scenario directly threatens Airbus' future in the UK.'

Now the Goodness isn't flowing...............it's Flying! :confused:

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How to make a rip off sound like a positive thing
From the Express
"
Investment boss says THIS aspect of Brexit is providing a BIG opportunity in the UK
BREXIT uncertainty in Britain will encourage global investors to buy shares in British businesses as UK equities continue to trade at big discounts to shares in other markets, investment boss Toby Gibe has said."

Closing Down Sale! Everything must go! 50% discount while stocks last!

And then what?
These people are enemies of the Public

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
nothing new, the DE has always been all over places on brexit and not showing much respect to their readership.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
How to make a rip off sound like a positive thing
From the Express
"
Investment boss says THIS aspect of Brexit is providing a BIG opportunity in the UK
BREXIT uncertainty in Britain will encourage global investors to buy shares in British businesses as UK equities continue to trade at big discounts to shares in other markets, investment boss Toby Gibe has said."

Closing Down Sale! Everything must go! 50% discount while stocks last!

And then what?
These people are enemies of the Public
I used to think that these people weren’t crazy when they made remarks like this. I thought it was a case of them knowing and understanding their own sphere of business better than I did. Much the same as I couldn’t expect them to understand my field of work.

Now I sincerely believe that they are actually crazy. The shortsightedness is staggering. They seem to find it completely acceptable to disadvantage tens of thousands of people for their own personal gain, which is a sickness of the mind.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the tories seem to reconcile around the idea of the Ukraine DCFTA model, despite the objection from the EU of 'cherry picking'. JRM is certainly willing to support DCFTA and the soft brexiters will have to accept that 90%+regulatory alignment is way better than WTO.
I reckon when it comes to the crunch between no deal or DCFTA, the EU will go for DCFTA because WTO is bad for everyone. The UK will then have the transition period to work out a solution for NI. I reckon the EU will force the UK to accept that the NI backstop will have to be limited to NI in return for DCFTA.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From the Telegraph
"
Airbus threatens to pull out of UK in 'no deal' Brexit scenario"

And in the Daily Mail
"Aerospace firm Airbus has warned it could pull out of the UK with the loss of thousands of jobs in the event of a 'no-deal' Brexit. The firm employs 14,000 people at 25 sites across the country and its supply chain supports an estimated 110,000 further jobs. But last night it's chief operating officer Tom Williams (pictured top) warned of dire consequences if Theresa May's (inset) government fails to win a Brexit deal. 'Far from Project Fear, this is a dawning reality for Airbus,' he said. 'Put simply, a no-deal scenario directly threatens Airbus' future in the UK.'

Now the Goodness isn't flowing...............it's Flying! :confused:
I forecast this a long time ago in here. Although Europe's aircraft maker, Airbus is and always has been essentially French in large aircraft design and business policy. Given France's high unemployment, the UK leaving the EU presents them with a golden opportunity to gain several tens of thousands of jobs and slash logistics costs.

It would drastically reduce our remaining aircaft industry, leaving us with the things we do for Boeing like undercarriage assemblies.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dont forget that the chinese internal air market is the fastest growing in the world...China Eastern (awful airline,always late and old planes) is intending to buy 750 new planes over the next five years,these will probably be the new chinese built Comac aircraft but I am sure that Airbus and Boeing realise that body and wings will needed to be built in China,to compete,especially after Trump has erected China-US tariff walls.
For Airbus Brexit could be a wonderful excuse to quit the UK and make body and wings in France and China....I wonder how many Airbus ex employees voted to Leave.
The timing ,2 years on from the vote,was I am sure intentional.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The anti dumping duty has pretty much killed off the UK e-bike industry....I have spoken to many importers,actually most,that are no longer ordering e-bikes from China.
Kudos has about 3 months stock left,not sure where we go after that.
The days of inexpensive chinese ebikes in the UK are finished....shame really because it allowed those with modest finance to get on an ebike and was an affordable entry level machine.
KudosDave

• Informative
Reactions: robdon and tillson

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I recently approached a number of factories in TW to source a replacement for my 20" folding Gale. TW prices are roughly 10% higher than Chinese and the MOQ is 320 bikes in a single drop because they have so much orders at the moment, they are not interested in smaller quantities. It is clear that economically speaking, it makes no sense to assemble cheap bikes in the UK or TW so when I sell out my current stock of 20" folding bikes, I will be forced to stop them. The market is definitely going to move up a notch or two on price.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If proof was needed that Trump is the idiot he appears to be, this sums it up nicely
In the Daily Express
"
Merkel’s nightmare as German car giants become first victims of Trump trade war
GERMANY’S massive auto sector looks set to become the first victim of the escalating trade tariff war between Donald Trump’s US and the rest of the world after a car firm slashed its 2018 profit forecast.

Now how can that be?

"
German car firms have built factories and invested heavily in the states that now back the policies of Donald Trump, and now they are expected to be the biggest losers from exports from the US.

If China retaliates to the latest round of US tariffs, BMW cars built in South Carolina and Daimler-owned Mercedes in Alabama will be subject to the new massive 40 per cent tariffs for goods going in China.

What a genius Trump isn't, the Germans have replaced the now defunct American manufacturers and form a large part of the USA's export income.

And the World's Biggest idiot shoots the Goose that lays the golden eggs with his idiotic trade war

And if further proof of this man's incompetence were needed he then lashes out at the EU
"
If the EU wants to further increase their already massive tariffs and barriers on US companies doing business there, we will simply apply a tax on their cars which freely pour into the US.

President Donald Trump

Now then what are you going to do about the German Cars manufactured in the USA?
If you Tax them, the American public will end up back on horseback!
And if you don't they will simply concentrate on what are to them "Home Sales"

And American cars will all be German!

In the words of Abraham Lincoln when speaking of one of his civil war generals.

"There goes a man who can snatch defeat from the very jaws of Victory!"

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I don't know what Trump's motivation is anymore.
I thought it was about trade imbalances, the US buy more from the EU than sell to the EU. Surely, the better way is to ask the EU to ease non tariff barriers to help US companies sell into the EU. Tariffs decrease sales, it will hurt both sides even if they don't start a trade war. The immediate result is the US now sell less to the EU with consequential loss of jobs on both sides.
Not a clever tactic.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the tories seem to reconcile around the idea of the Ukraine DCFTA model, despite the objection from the EU of 'cherry picking'. JRM is certainly willing to support DCFTA and the soft brexiters will have to accept that 90%+regulatory alignment is way better than WTO.
I reckon when it comes to the crunch between no deal or DCFTA, the EU will go for DCFTA because WTO is bad for everyone. The UK will then have the transition period to work out a solution for NI. I reckon the EU will force the UK to accept that the NI backstop will have to be limited to NI in return for DCFTA.
Someone should explain to the public why they are not going to provide the Brexit they promised where we experience a Boom, not far worse conditions.

Indeed just why, when the idea of Brexit has proved to be only of advantage to members of the Elite with offshore bank accounts, has the idea not been explained and permission from the public sought to drop Brexit before more damage is done?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I don't know what Trump's motivation is anymore.
I thought it was about trade imbalances, the US buy more from the EU than sell to the EU. Surely, the better way is to ask the EU to ease non tariff barriers to help US companies sell into the EU. Tariffs decrease sales, it will hurt both sides even if they don't start a trade war. The immediate result is the US now sell less to the EU with consequential loss of jobs on both sides.
Not a clever tactic.
Well his good friend Vladimir Putin thinks it's a jolly good idea!
Vlad Looks on the bright side, when Daimler, BMW and co recover from their little surprise and concentrate on selling cars to the local American Market, that will spell the death knell for the local industry.
His Glove puppet with the funny comb over will have done him proud!

I have long wondered when China wouldn't start nationalising all the foreign companies that have planted themselves over there , for the cheap labour, resources and lower environmental standards and cut out the profits to the middle man.
I wouldn't be surprised at them doing so if pushed one of these days, and they could cripple the USA at a stroke.

Last edited:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I recently approached a number of factories in TW to source a replacement for my 20" folding Gale. TW prices are roughly 10% higher than Chinese and the MOQ is 320 bikes in a single drop because they have so much orders at the moment, they are not interested in smaller quantities. It is clear that economically speaking, it makes no sense to assemble cheap bikes in the UK or TW so when I sell out my current stock of 20" folding bikes, I will be forced to stop them. The market is definitely going to move up a notch or two on price.
It is very difficult to compete with economies of scale. It happened recently with the pc business and now with the ebikes. When the major retailers start selling the product, it is time for the cottage industries to shut up shop or become bespoke boutiques . I dont think its the fault of tarrifs , just of market maturity .
It does however not imply additional costs to the consumer.

Advertisers