Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Things really are strange when Tom can use Thatcher as support .WTF..
Actually he said
"John Major's on a roll at the moment!"
I look forward to Tom's explanation of intent.....:cool:
Perhaps he is drawing inspiration from Trumpo's wife's jacket?

Last edited:
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lord Ashcroft's polling of brexiters revealed that 6 out of 10 brexiters would rather have a hard border in NI or even a re-united ROI than remain close enough to the EU to avoid a hard border. Ashcroft's polls also suggest that 60% of English voters don't care that NI rejoins the ROI.
As 60% of Northern Irish voted to remain, if the hard brexiters have their way, it could well precipitate the re-unification.
A poll years ago showed that a substantial majority of mainland British would rather Northern Ireland wasn't in the UK, so the feelings seem consistent.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we seem to have clarity - TM has more or less given up.
it's now up to the marchers to step up.
Perhaps they should march every Saturday until they get there.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Lord Ashcroft's polling of brexiters revealed that 6 out of 10 brexiters would rather have a hard border in NI or even a re-united ROI than remain close enough to the EU to avoid a hard border. Ashcroft's polls also suggest that 60% of English voters don't care that NI rejoins the ROI.
As 60% of Northern Irish voted to remain, if the hard brexiters have their way, it could well precipitate the re-unification.
Ireland has always been united, . Well at least since the pre cambrian era, as a visiting geology professor told me, with the actual join south of Annagassan. , It is only the people who are disunited. The ring of volcanoes, around Newry which give us the attractive mournes, resulted from the unification process.(.. You couldn't make it up. ,) ..
What is very worrying about your statistic is that a sizable fraction of the UK population, would jettison the UK in order to further BREXIt. What next, since Scotland voted remain would it then be sacrificed on the altar

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
What next, since Scotland voted remain would it then be sacrificed on the altar
the bond with Scotland is much, much stronger than with NI.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Independent
"
More than 50' Tory MPs prepared to defy Theresa May to stop no-deal Brexit
Exclusive: 'Parliament will find a way to stop a no-deal Brexit happening if that’s what it takes - including Conservative MPs like myself'

My gang is bigger than your gang, hmm?
This could be set to the music of West Side story, only question is, which are the Sharks and which the Jets?

Madness!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oldtom

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
My gang is bigger than your gang, hmm?
JC comes systematically to the rescue of the hard brexiters each time the tory rebels seem to come on top of a vote.
Whether voters who are angered by a no deal brexit will vote for him at the next GE or not, I fear this tactic will cause a lot of EU companies like Siemens, Airbus, SNCF, EDF etc to reduce their workforce in the UK immediately.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
JC comes systematically to the rescue of the hard brexiters each time the tory rebels seem to come on top of a vote.
Whether voters who are angered by a no deal brexit will vote for him at the next GE or not, I fear this tactic will cause a lot of EU companies like Siemens, Airbus, SNCF, EDF etc to reduce their workforce in the UK immediately.
The question is really, who are the actual paymasters of the Tory party?
If they don't heed the requirements of industry, then there are only a very limited number of alternative candidates, none of which are based here, or indeed have the best interests of this country as a priority.
"Bought and sold for Foreigner's Gold
What a parcel of rogues in a nation."
Remember Murdoch's words
"If promises aren't kept, there will be trouble."

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ireland has always been united, . Well at least since the pre cambrian era, as a visiting geology professor told me, with the actual join south of Annagassan. , It is only the people who are disunited. The ring of volcanoes, around Newry which give us the attractive mournes, resulted from the unification process.(.. You couldn't make it up. ,) ..
What is very worrying about your statistic is that a sizable fraction of the UK population, would jettison the UK in order to further BREXIt. What next, since Scotland voted remain would it then be sacrificed on the altar
I suppose if Scotland ever achieved independence and inside the EU, it's not inconceivable that Northern Ireland could join them, given the origins of the loyalists. Maybe eventually becoming Western Scotland and Eastern Scotland, joined by the bridge someone mentioned.

Not sure whether the nationalists would flee south or rebel if that happened.

Reactions: robdon and oyster

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
the bond with Scotland is much, much stronger than with NI.
That is why there was a wall... The English loved the Scots so much they tried to starve them to death. Wait! Didn't they try that with the Irish too? Can we see some kind of pattern here?

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
That is why there was a wall... The English loved the Scots so much they tried to starve them to death. Wait! Didn't they try that with the Irish too? Can we see some kind of pattern here?
.., it was the Romans who built that wall to keep the Scots away from those gentle folk south of that border. There was extensive traffic between Scotland and the northern sections of ireland,going back probably 3 millennia . At around 1000AD , the O'BRIEN clan, or Dal Gasian,in the late Viking era, were kingship over the western isles and the Mull of Kintyre as well as East Antrim... My Grandfathers family would have been from the Glens of Antrim.
The Irish Famine was less a deliberate attempt at genocide than a total disregard and disinterest by a landowning class which had decamped to London following the Irish British .Act of Union in 1801.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
I suppose if Scotland ever achieved independence and inside the EU, it's not inconceivable that Northern Ireland could join them, given the origins of the loyalists. Maybe eventually becoming Western Scotland and Eastern Scotland, joined by the bridge someone mentioned.

Not sure whether the nationalists would flee south or rebel if that happened.
What your analysis fails to recognise is that the population in NI more evenly split. My sadness regarding BREXIt was that the potential of both NI and RoI sharing a common alliegence as citizens of Europe has been again twarted, . The Troubles from 1969 to 1995, forced both communities in NI into a getto mindset, and no sooner has, that abated but the BREXIt nonsense was foisted.

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
.., it was the Romans who built that wall to keep the Scots away from those gentle folk south of that border. .
You mean Romans as in migrants? Or, gasp... conquering invaders? And in those days it was the Picts - family of mine apparently, on crest of arms.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What your analysis fails to recognise is that the population in NI more evenly split. My sadness regarding BREXIt was that the potential of both NI and RoI sharing a common alliegence as citizens of Europe has been again twarted, . The Troubles from 1969 to 1995, forced both communities in NI into a getto mindset, and no sooner has, that abated but the BREXIt nonsense was foisted.
Agreed, and by the way that's a very fine word you have introduced to the language.
"twarted"
presumably a combination of "Twat and Tart"
How apt when describing Brexit and it's ill begotten lot of Political sponsors!

• :D
Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

Advertisers