Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
60 top politicians, economists and business leaders
Using numbers of signatories as a way of bigging up something is a very old trick. It just might make some sense if this particular 60 were not countered by 60 with completely opposite views. Could end up as a sort of public referendum of top politicians, economists and business leaders only. Now that sounds like a good bit of democracy, doesn't it?

In "A Public Enemy", by Ibsen, there is the line "the minority is always right". Interesting to consider the numerous ways in which that can be interpreted.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Using numbers of signatories as a way of bigging up something is a very old trick. It just might make some sense if this particular 60 were not countered by 60 with completely opposite views. Could end up as a sort of public referendum of top politicians, economists and business leaders only. Now that sounds like a good bit of democracy, doesn't it?

In "A Public Enemy", by Ibsen, there is the line "the minority is always right". Interesting to consider the numerous ways in which that can be interpreted.
It would be more convincing if Nigel Lawson wasn't one of them!:p
(On his way to retiring abroad on a sort of personal BrexitExit)

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Not someone who we should admire or Emulate
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3688983.stm
Dyson 'ranks last in reliability'

Dyson's famous vacuum cleaners are made in Malaysia
The Dyson vacuum cleaner - famous for its bagless technology - is the least reliable of all upright and cylinder brands, a consumer magazine has said.

A quarter of 5,100 upright vacuum cleaner owners surveyed by Which? failed to give their Dyson an all-clear on performance after six years' use.

What does he know of any value?
I tend to take this survey type analysis with a grain of salt..There is a lot of sociological baggage inciuded. The Dyson products are sold at a high premiums and the people who buy these are of the high achievers, easily dissatisfied type.
(I have a Dyson product).

• :D
Reactions: robdon

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I tend to take this survey type analysis with a grain of salt..There is a lot of sociological baggage inciuded. The Dyson products are sold at a high premiums and the people who buy these are of the high achievers, easily dissatisfied type.
(I have a Dyson product).
! thought high achievers had servants doing the vacuuming. ;)

Reactions: robdon and Woosh

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
! thought high achievers had servants doing the vacuuming. ;)
now flecc what you don`t appreciate is this is the east coast of co. Louth, ... think St. Tropez, Cannes.... stately mansions nestling in leafy suburbia .... Ferraris, Bugattis cruising down to the local yacht club..... the area is a who`s who of the great and the good, a mecca for high achievers,

and every residence would not be seen without a premium Dyson vacuum cleaner,

oh, and a Raleigh Motus

Reactions: Danidl

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
now flecc what you don`t appreciate is this is the east coast of co. Louth, ... think St. Tropez, Cannes.... stately mansions nestling in leafy suburbia .... Ferraris, Bugattis cruising down to the local yacht club..... the area is a who`s who of the great and the good, a mecca for high achievers,

oh, and a Raleigh Motus
Exactly, with the servants doing the vacuuming, not the owners who wouldn't know how the Dyson performed, or that the butler had replaced it every year out of the petty cash.

But not a Raleigh Motus, more likely a G0cycle G3 parked on the yacht for use when in ports.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Independent
"
Businesses should stop warning about negative impact of Brexit, Jeremy Hunt says
'It's completely inappropriate for businesses to be making these kinds of threats', says health secretary

Not nearly so innapropriate as you occupying any position requiring more than the IQ of the average Gerbil

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Exactly, with the servants doing the vacuuming, not the owners who wouldn't know how the Dyson performed, or that the butler had replaced it every year out of the petty cash.

But not a Raleigh Motus, more likely a Gocycle G3 parked on the yacht for use when in ports.
It has always baffled me why anyone would desire a vacuum cleaner that provides a moving display of all the crap it has just picked up.
However since this really seems to attract "High Achievers"
I think my proposal for transparent sick bags with built in LED illumination should be a big hit on "First Class transatlantic flights"

Reactions: flecc and robdon

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland

oh, and a Raleigh Motus
Well said... Except the bit about the glorious sunshine , today excepted. Not a very suitable location for a marina however, .. not when it would need to be 3 miles off coast.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Perhaps I erred in omitting the quotation marks around high achievers . But with all modesty, I must confess to being the great and the good,as Tommie has so gracefully conceded.
Of course high achiever could also mean someone who has scored and ok until they next need a hit. :)

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Lord Ashcroft's polling of brexiters revealed that 6 out of 10 brexiters would rather have a hard border in NI or even a re-united ROI than remain close enough to the EU to avoid a hard border. Ashcroft's polls also suggest that 60% of English voters don't care that NI rejoins the ROI.
As 60% of Northern Irish voted to remain, if the hard brexiters have their way, it could well precipitate the re-unification.

Advertisers