Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
my containers from China got pulled for inspection only three times in 8 years.
Steady there HMRC monitor this thread even more often than Menwith Hill
And even though they are Government agency sooner or later they will catch on that you were smuggling empty containers

(Just kidding):cool:

• :D
Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Daily Mail
"
Jeremy Hunt says only PUTIN will celebrate a no-deal Brexit as he warns EU that refusing to compromise will poison relations 'for a generation'
  • Jeremy Hunt has been in Berlin for talks with German counterpart Heiko Maas
  • Foreign Secretary warned result of EU talks will define relations for 'generation'
  • Theresa May has held a Cabinet away-day in Gateshead as Brexit tensions rise
  • At Q&A with engineering workers she voiced confidence about getting a deal
Well perhaps you should take your own advice?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
UK public will blame EU for no-deal Brexit, says Jeremy Hunt
New foreign secretary visits Berlin on his first overseas trip since replacing Boris Johnson

Philip Oltermann in Berlin

Jeremy Hunt, left, meets the German foreign minister, Heiko Maas, during his visit to Berlin on Monday. Photograph: Inga Kjer/Photothek via Getty Images
Britain’s foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt, has warned there is a risk of the UK leaving the EU in March 2019 without a deal because of stalling by the bloc’s negotiators, and that British views of Europe would sour as a result.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/23/uk-public-will-blame-eu-for-no-deal-brexit-says-jeremy-hunt

Some of us will blame Cameron, Gove, Johnson, Cummings, Banks, et al. With an intensity they would do well to avoid.

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The campaign to make the EU appear to be the blame for "Punishing the UK" and "stalling" shouldn't fool anyone, but the propaganda that has been employed against them is so deep rooted that there really isn't any chance of large numbers of Brexit Voters ever changing their minds is there?
If anything, unless most of the comments in the right wing papers are coming from "Russian trolls" no attempt at reasoning with them has a hope of success, and even the slightest hint that there will be problems sends them into a mindless rage.
We are in a very dangerous predicament, with the population split three ways
Leave voters, remain voters, and dangerous nutters, mainly but by no means entirely on the Brexit side, though of course they are much more visible because they enjoy the support of most of the media.
If ever the nation needed the much vaunted notion of "Representative Democracy" to get a grip of the situation that time is now
Edmund Burke said this
"..it ought to be the happiness and glory of a representative to live in the strictest union, the closest correspondence, and the most unreserved communication with his constituents. Their wishes ought to have great weight with him; their opinion, high respect; their business, unremitted attention. It is his duty to sacrifice his repose, his pleasures, his satisfactions, to theirs; and above all, ever, and in all cases, to prefer their interest to his own. But his unbiassed opinion, his mature judgment, his enlightened conscience, he ought not to sacrifice to you, to any man, or to any set of men living. These he does not derive from your pleasure; no, nor from the law and the constitution. They are a trust from Providence, for the abuse of which he is deeply answerable. Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.

And what has happened?
The Government is fully aware of the Folly that is Brexit, and is betraying us by failing to act in the direction that judgement dictates, it is being manipulated by a Fascist cabal, and blaming the public for doing so under the feeble excuse of the will of the people,gained in a campaign tainted legally and morally with lies and criminal activities, for the benefit of an obscure elite with even more obscure financial and political ties and agendas.

Time for the government to exhibit some integrity and either decide to cancel Brexit, or take the less onerous and not so honourable course of asking the people what their opinion is now.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Your points are rather 12 bore with no choke... Its bound to prove one of them...
Perhaps I should uprate, my choice of weapon to yours?

With this splendid engine of destruction you have engaged the entire EU on many occasions, loaded with itching powder and Custard Pies.
Alas with it's low muzzle velocity ensuring hardly a scratch on their armour, you need more "Thrust"
May I suggest it needs a big Cork on a long string?
:eek:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
UK public will blame EU for no-deal Brexit, says Jeremy Hunt
New foreign secretary visits Berlin on his first overseas trip since replacing Boris Johnson

Philip Oltermann in Berlin

Jeremy Hunt, left, meets the German foreign minister, Heiko Maas, during his visit to Berlin on Monday. Photograph: Inga Kjer/Photothek via Getty Images
Britain’s foreign secretary, Jeremy Hunt, has warned there is a risk of the UK leaving the EU in March 2019 without a deal because of stalling by the bloc’s negotiators, and that British views of Europe would sour as a result.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/jul/23/uk-public-will-blame-eu-for-no-deal-brexit-says-jeremy-hunt

Some of us will blame Cameron, Gove, Johnson, Cummings, Banks, et al. With an intensity they would do well to avoid.
Especially if the blame comes complete with Tar and Feathers?:confused:

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
https://www.independent.ie/business/brexit/ireland-will-have-hardest-border-in-europe-if-uk-doesnt-reach-brexit-deal-ally-of-merkel-warns-37142875.html

I would pass this on to Leo asap.

"In a blunt warning detailing the catastrophe that lies ahead if a “no-deal” Brexit materialises, Joachim Pfeiffer – a key ally of Chancellor Merkel – painted a dire picture of the outcome.

Mr Pfeiffer said Ireland would “have a border like we have a border with Ukraine, or Belarus” as there would no longer be treaties in place with the UK that would ensure the rules and standards of the EU would be respected.

“We cannot solve the problem between Ireland and Northern Ireland,” added the economic and energy policy spokesman for the CDU/CSU parliamentary group in Germany.

Senior French sources have also told Independent.ie that under a hard Brexit, Ireland is primarily accountable to the EU and its single market.

As the country at the frontline, Ireland will be obliged to prevent such substandard goods getting into the internal market.

It’ll be “the hardest border we have in Europe”.

Mr Pfeiffer said it will be Ireland’s responsibility to erect and manage the Border on the EU side, and the UK’s task to manage the territory of Northern Ireland.

He said that other European countries had their own problems to resolve.

“For you it’s a problem but in Germany nobody is thinking about Brexit.

“We cannot solve the problem between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

“Hopefully we can resolve this through negotiation, but I advise Ireland to get ready.”

Senior French sources have also warned Ireland over its accountability to the EU and its single market.

“I’m sorry to say that Ireland may find itself at a harsh confrontation where it must obey the rules of the single market ahead of the political landscape with Britain,” a French source said.

It`s clear there`s a change of wind direction coming from Brussels, are they letting you down gently??
The tone now seems to be it`s Ireland's problem if there`s no deal, Ireland will have to look after a Hard Border and all that entails.
None of this is any surprise to me, There will be support from europe, a massive border will be required, we will get financial assistance with it, but it will be an imposition.
The tone is rather the border will exist, it was fantasy to assume that in the case of hard brexit it would not. I cannot see why you could be pleased . The UK will not be in a position to recompense NI for the eu grants forgone, and those shopping trips to grafton st will be dekayed by the trucks in the laybys

Reactions: robdon

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Perhaps I should uprate, my choice of weapon to yours?

With this splendid engine of destruction you have engaged the entire EU on many occasions, loaded with itching powder and Custard Pies.
Alas with it's low muzzle velocity ensuring hardly a scratch on their armour, you need more "Thrust"
May I suggest it needs a big Cork on a long string?
I rather thought this would figure in the expected outcomes:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I rather thought this would figure in the expected outcomes:

Well it might not break through the fence but it would certainly eliminate the onlookers and the idiot with the slow match!
This must be from the same government agency that throughout history , and during WW2 gave us our smart weapons such as my favourite, the rocket assisted Valentine tank intended to jump over sea walls.

Churchill was keenly interested and viewed the test firing,
The tank rumbled up to the obstacle, stopped and ignited the rockets attached to it's sides
Rising majestically into the air amid smoke and flames it succeeded in easily clearing the obstacle.

Then it hit a snag, the rear pair of rockets burned just a little longer than the front ones causing the tank to turn over and land upside down, surprising the crew, and indeed the onlookers too.

After a moment's stunned silence the observer's turned to Churchill who rose as always to the occasion with one of his inimitable comments.

Taking the cigar from his mouth he thought for a moment and said the immortal words.

"It may not frighten Jerry,
But by God it Frightened me!"

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
so you think they are going to hold up the lorry while testing samples for GM traces? Of course not.
the real difficulty is for the long term when the UK has built up sufficient trade to seriously reduce purchasing from the EU27.
In the short term, it's just a political agenda.
The EU's agenda is simple enough: a binary choice, in or out. Recently, one of the people close to Michel Barnier says that A50 can only be extended if we have a second referendum, ie good chance to cancel brexit altogether.
the EU wants to kick that free trade deal down the road and talk about FTA as little as possible because whatever that FTA is, some will see it as not punishing enough while others will see it as changes to the EU structure or too many concessions made.
If I were TM, I'll go for a hard border in NI after the transition.
They will hold up the lorry,or the lorry will be held up because the one 12 units away is being searched,or its paperwork was no ok.
It is not within Michael Barniers gift to extend or modify the duration of the UK exit... We have been over that before, anyone who spouts otherwise is false news... Any modifications to the terms of A50 ,must be by agreement of 27 states. Now i don't doubt that they would listen closely to his advice.
A no deal situation, hard exit would be chaotic..not to France, Italy Germany Hungary, but to the UK, their dependencies of the channel islands, and NI. We in RoI will also reap the whirlwind..

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
As if there aren't enough problems
From the Independent
"
Jeremy Corbyn to highlight economic 'benefit' of Brexit as he demands UK stop relying on 'cheap labour from abroad'
Labour leader will say plummeting pound can help manufacturers 'build things here again that for too long have been built abroad', in speech that will prompt comparisons with Donald Trump's 'America first' approach

Just go, you really have nothing to offer
But tears hunger and sweat.

Your plans are make believe
Why should manufacturers take the huge risk of setting up to compete with products manufactured at very low cost in the far east, where environmental and labour costs are rock bottom, the latest and very expensive machinery and technology is in use,
and their money is safely and profitably invested there right now anyway?

And most comic of all where are the markets we would sell to?

Alas Groucho was right

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies. "

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My thought for the day
The best way to go forward with Brexit
Is not to.

look at our situation.
The Government is reverting to the old Navajo Indian trick of screaming and begging.
Remember the Boxing match between Ali and Brian London, when Harry Carpenter interviewed a very battered Brian London after the fight.

The high spot was when London grinned and said
"I had him worried in the third round!"

Carpenter gasped and responded "What on earth makes you say that?"

With a rueful grin Brian London responded
"He thought he'd killed me!"o_O

Advertisers