Brexit, for once some facts.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The government have fully prepared for no deal.......yeh!!!
They cannot be serious in proposing to store 1400 trucks by closing the M26...I assume that someone has told them that 16000 trucks per day go Dover to Calais.
You have to assume that this is all a bluff,I hope it is, because there will be war in Kent if they stack along the M20 again,it stops all trade,both local and national even with an interruption of the ferries.
Perhaps the queue will reach Somerset,Mr Mogg !!!!
KudosDave

Reactions: oyster and robdon

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
I suspect but do not know that the same mindset will view the local assemblies in Wales and Scotland, and NI in the same light.
Just for the sake of accuracy, Scotland has a parliament, Wales and NI have local assemblies. The Scottish parliament's legislative powers exceed those of the devolved assemblies.

wheeler

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Just for the sake of accuracy, Scotland has a parliament, Wales and NI have local assemblies. The Scottish parliament's legislative powers exceed those of the devolved assemblies.

wheeler
We appear to have a Government with less powers than a parish council on an uninhabited tidal island like Reeds Island in the Humber, which is, rather appropriately submerged in muddy water most of the time, much like the Government itself.

Can someone help me here, what is the point of having all these assemblies and whatever else alias they go by if none of the beggars can rescue the country from this mad urge to go looking for a gas leak in a cellar with a match?

Time we locked the doors of the HOC and put up one of these notices you see so often on run down and dilapidated old Drinking Houses
"Can you run this pub?"

My mention of Reeds Island and comparing it with the HOC is very pertinent, for in the days before the Humber Bridge there was a paddle steamer car ferry plied between Hull and New Holland in lincolnshire.
In summer it was not uncommon after a small gratuity had been collected and offered to the Captain, if the tide was right, for the boat to "accidentally" ground on the island until the tide floated it off again.
Under the guise of providing much needed refreshments to the passengers, licencing hours were suspended in the bar until the ship refloated.
So the parallel is a good one, disembarkation was a bit of a shambles just like closing the bar in the HOC
Surprisingly much business was done during these sessions, and sometimes, as is rumoured to be the case in parliament, people actually clearly remembered what had been agreed to, even though they didn't have Hansard to come to their aid.

Reactions: oyster and robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
For some meanings of secret - the ones that have, so far, been kept secret. :)
We just don't know in the case of the self-declared Social Democrat, Polly Toynbee, but Donald Rumsfeld had such an eventuality covered when he said this:

"Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns – the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones."

Tom

Reactions: robdon

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Raab appears not yet grasped brexit timeline.....

Raab is asked by MP on the Brexit Select Committee when it will be clear that there is no deal. Raab, the Brexit Sec, says he can't say.
But he can. It's the law.
Under the EU (Withdrawal) Act, the govt has to inform MPs by Jan 21.http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/13/enacted …

KudosDave

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Has TM realised that Raab is no more clued up on EU matter than his predecessor and mentor, David Davis?

In the news:

"The prime minister announced she would now lead the crunch talks with the EU while Dominic Raab, who was appointed two weeks ago, would be left in charge of domestic preparations, no-deal planning and legislation."

Shrewd move, Prime Minister.

I wonder how soon the ERG will remove her to force us over the cliff.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Has TM realised that Raab is no more clued up on EU matter than his predecessor and mentor, David Davis?

In the news:

"The prime minister announced she would now lead the crunch talks with the EU while Dominic Raab, who was appointed two weeks ago, would be left in charge of domestic preparations, no-deal planning and legislation."

Shrewd move, Prime Minister.

I wonder how soon the ERG will remove her to force us over the cliff.
Is it really safe to leave him in charge of the Tea Urn and the sandwiches, and to order beatwastes and everything must go, no reasonable offer refused notices?

"If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing badly"

Reactions: robdon and oyster

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Raab appears not yet grasped brexit timeline.....

Raab is asked by MP on the Brexit Select Committee when it will be clear that there is no deal. Raab, the Brexit Sec, says he can't say.
But he can. It's the law.
Under the EU (Withdrawal) Act, the govt has to inform MPs by Jan 21.http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2018/16/section/13/enacted …

KudosDave
On sunday my ears perked up hearing him say laser bringing to mind sharks-with-lasers

Raab 3 days ago on the beeb "Forgive me if I don’t keep a laser like focus on the substance."

I see he's been demoted today....

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Try searching ‘Rees-Mogg IEA’.....it explains why he is happy for us to crash out. He has recently admitted that the ‘Brexit dividend’ may not be available for 50 years.
I used to think he was the guy with the cigarettes ,now I think he can also handle the thumb screws,Hitler losing WW2 must have been a downer for William Rees-Mogg,the 200 club had the support of the King to do a deal with Hitler.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
A chuckle on the Beeb
"
Chrome browser flags Daily Mail and other sites as 'not secure'

Because they aren't using https

Pity the Browser can't detect sites that aren't telling the truth, too!

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Daily Mirror
"
Theresa May handed her top Brexit official a bonus of almost £20,000 for “good performance” despite months of deadlock with the EU.

Olly Robbins claimed the payoff on top of his £160,000-a-year salary for his first nine months in charge of the Department for Exiting the EU.

Downing Street insisted Mrs May - who signed off the bonus - thought Mr Robbins was worth it."
And this
"
Hugh Ind, the former Home Office director general of immigration enforcement, received between £5,000 and £10,000.

He left the Home Office for a new role in the Cabinet Office in May, shortly after Amber Rudd was forced to quit for "inadvertently misleading" Parliament over her knowledge of targets for removing illegal immigrants.

Meanwhile Permanent Secretary Philip Rutnam, who oversees the whole department, was awarded a bonus of between £15,000 and £20,000.

Sir Philip faced disbelief as he told MPs in May: “I’m not an expert on the immigration system”.

We have sailed past the point of losing touch with reality,
and are heading at Flank speed into the Bizarre

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
A chuckle on the Beeb
"
Chrome browser flags Daily Mail and other sites as 'not secure'

Because they aren't using https

Pity the Browser can't detect sites that aren't telling the truth, too!
Might be better logistically to spot the one telling the truth... might take some finding.

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
How long will it be that Raab resigns?
It is obvious that May has sidelined him by announcing that she has taken over control of Brexit.
Olly Robins is the guy who is in charge of negotiations,it was embarrassing for Raab to be described as junior to Robins.
Raab is a Brexiteer yet May is clearly moving towards Brino,it must be uncomfortable for Raab to have to promote a very soft Brexit.
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Raab is a Brexiteer yet May is clearly moving towards Brino,it must be uncomfortable for Raab to have to promote a very soft Brexit.
But if it pays better, principles are never a problem for a Tory politician are they?
“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.”
Groucho Marx

• :D

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The independent this morning
"
Editorial Why Britain needs a referendum on the Brexit deal
Our campaign to let the public decide the UK's future with Europe begins

ON the deal?
No thank you

We had the only deal that interests me, second best is simply no good at all
The only thing of interest from my point of view is to cancel Brexit.

Either a referendum run again with the same wording and this time the normal 2:1 majority requirement, needed to approve Brexit, or a decision from Parliament to do the job they are paid to do in the National Interest, not those of a shadowy Elite.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We have sailed past the point of losing touch with reality,
and are heading at Flank speed into the Bizarre
TM is known for u-turns.
The fact that she takes charge personally of brexit is a good thing, the Pound rose on the news more than 1%.
The problem with hard brexit is that it sounds good and plausible on paper but when confronted by reality, it's such a huge task to do just as well or only slightly worse economically out of the EU, no matter how close to the EU we stay after leaving.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we also need a deal for services.
If brexit is left to the brexters in the cabinet, it is not going to happen.

Advertisers