Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
This is like something from H.G,Wells Novel "Things to Come"
From the Mirror today.
"
Philip Hammond hints Britain could become a 'tax haven' as a result of Brexit
His comments came after Theresa May angered Remainers by pushing for a hard Brexit that will take us out of the single market and customs union
Chancellor Philip Hammond said the UK could change its economic model towards a US-style low tax, low welfare one as a result of Brexit .

His comments came after Theresa May angered Remainers by pushing for a hard Brexit that will take us out of the single market and customs union.
Mr Hammond said: “If we have no access to the European market, if we are closed off, if Britain were to leave the European Union without an agreement on market access, then we could suffer from economic damage at least in the short-term. In this case, we could be forced to change our economic model.”

Is this one of the benefits of Brexit we have been waiting to hear about?

REALLY?
Sorry but I'm having a hysterical laughing fit, I'll be back later.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the right wing press are what they are - why do you bother about what they say? At the end of the day, people vote usually with their wallet. Tory's tax cut can only work for a while, until you have to go private for everything.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the right wing press are what they are - why do you bother about what they say? At the end of the day, people vote usually with their wallet. Tory's tax cut can only work for a while, until you have to go private for everything.
Because we are facing Brexit now, evidence enough of how persuasive a culture of continuous year on year lies, mistruths and slanders have been at poisoning large numbers of the public into homing on the wrong target for their discontent.
Do not underestimate the Right wing press and media: that is a grave error.

People tend to vote for the Torys despite the fact it affects their wallet as the press tell them that to vote for anyone else would hit them harder.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Given the latest news that we can expect a stirring speech from Theresa Maybe on Tuesday, in which she will call for the country to 'put an end to the division' caused by the referendum result and the weird outpouring from Philip Hammond about changing the economic model to ???.......then I read this:

http://www.open-britain.co.uk/morgan_new_poll_shows_leave_voters_not_prepared_to_have_their_family_finances_affected_by_government_prioritising_immigration_over_the_economy

So racism is great until the economics are spelled out and suddenly 'greed is good' becomes the priority again........

As the modern saying goes: 'You really couldn't make it up!'

Tom

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
So Mrs May has been taken hostage by her three brexiteers. That is to be expected since day one of her PM-ship. One thing about economics is that although it's rubbish at making long term predictions, it's very good at making sense of facts afterwards. Facts are: the Pound is devalued about 10% against the Euro and 20% against the Dollar. We import around £600 billions a year, so someone has to stump up some £90 billions this year more than last year to pay for imported goods.
You can't mask this sort of numbers. Without confidence in the investment climate, we can't make this up with FDI so the Pound can only move one way. Inflation in the next two years is set to rise very noticeably while tax income does not. Everyone will talk about it soon, well before next Christmas.
Expect the tories' lead to vanish by Christmas.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How can we have any confidence that Mrs Maybe will serve the UK well in the 'Brexit' venture when we reflect on the 'successes' of her first 6 months or so in office?

This infographic is useful in case you can't remember what she has achieved so far in her time in office:

View attachment 17302

Tom
Wikipedia has some interesting information of this individual
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theresa_May#Police_and_crime
Who has done some very controversial things in the past and simply got away with them.

• Agree

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
In light of Trump supporting Brexit and impending preferential US trade deals - I wonder if flogging Sinclair C5s and Sinclairs, and Amstrads will get out of the lurch...

In other news just in

The UK may be forced to change its "economic model" if it is locked out of the single market after Brexit, Chancellor Philip Hammond...

And a government for hire and a combat site
Left her, wasn't coming in a hurry
With the Furies breathing down your neck

Team by team, reporters baffled, trumped, tethered, cropped
Look at that low plane, fine, then
Uh oh, overflow, population, common group
But it'll do, save yourself, serve yourself

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Woosh

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Can anyone interpret this headline in the Telegraph for me?
"Britain will 'not take it lying down' if UK is banned from EU markets after Brexit says Philip Hammond"
My question is a serious one; what can he possibly mean? when that is what the press have actually been demanding the Government go for, and apparently what the Brexit voters THOUGHT they were voting for.

Who exactly is changing their minds, or perhaps having them changed for them?
Is this another con worked on the Brexit Voters to make them think they voted for something they didn't?

Then there is the tone of this outburst: is he trying to get the World to laugh at us?
And in the Express today
"
‘The FULL WORKS’ Leave campaigners praise Theresa May’s plan to push for ‘clean Brexit’
LEAVE campaigners have welcomed Theresa May’s plan to go for the “full works” with a “clean Brexit” to completely free Britain from Brussels rule."

What are these imbeciles up to? does either of them express Government policy, or is the truth That they don't have a clue what they want or are doing?
So they send out headlines that appeal (hopefully) to both leave and remain voters?

Clearly a second confidence trick is about to be worked on both the leave and remain camps, where Brexit will become something unrecognisable, sold as a genuine article.
This woman is trying to "con" every single person who voted either way in the Referendum

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Questions of the day.

Trump has said a trade deal with the UK is very likely.
OK: how will we exploit that rather than be exploited by it?

What can we sell them that they can't get cheaper from China?
What can they sell us we can't get cheaper from China?

Can anyone answer those questions please?

Here is another one.
Should we make a trade agreement with China?

For: its a huge market.
Against: send anything there and you risk them copying it and selling cheap copies.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You already tried selling tea and that didn't work out so well I believe... :rolleyes:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Questions of the day.

Trump has said a trade deal with the UK is very likely.
OK: how will we exploit that rather than be exploited by it?

What can we sell them that they can't get cheaper from China?
What can they sell us we can't get cheaper from China?

Can anyone answer those questions please?

Here is another one.
Should we make a trade agreement with China?

For: its a huge market.
Against: send anything there and you risk them copying it and selling cheap copies.
I predict that when we do, it will be to confirm the current arrangements we have in the single market.
I believe that trade takes a long time to develop, having more control won't shorten that much.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I predict that when we do, it will be to confirm the current arrangements we have in the single market.
I believe that trade takes a long time to develop, having more control won't shorten that much.
And this "No Change" will be trumpeted in the press as a MAJOR VICTORY FOR BREXIT:confused:

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
You already tried selling tea and that didn't work out so well I believe... :rolleyes:
Actually it was taxing the American Colonies under the "Tea Act" when they had no representative Mp's in Parliament if I remember my history correctly, that led to them dumping the full shipload from an East India Company ship in Boston Harbour.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Actually it was taxing the American Colonies under the "Tea Act" when they had no representative Mp's in Parliament if I remember my history correctly, that led to them dumping the full shipload from an East India Company ship in Boston Harbour.
And they are still drinking harbour water then? Searching for reasons of madness on their side of the water...

In other news from Davos worlds eight richest have same wealth as 50% poorest...

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
And this "No Change" will be trumpeted in the press as a MAJOR VICTORY FOR BREXIT:confused:
The only change until brexit is the exchange value of the Pound.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
In other news from Davos worlds eight richest have same wealth as 50% poorest...
I consider them as 'banks'. They hold the money and don't produce anything themselves.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I consider them as 'banks'. They hold the money and don't produce anything themselves.
How do the poor make a withdrawal from those banks when they are dying of hunger?

Advertisers