Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think Mrs May it the "Tops"
In one speech she has shattered any hopes of Brexit being a success, antagonised the EU, ruined any chance of a successful deal with them, and pretty much guaranteed the eventual demise of her own Party.

Excellent! we are nearer to getting back into the EU in the fullness of time since the day of the referendum.

Roll on Article 50, better yet, quit today!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
OG
Trump may be a lot of things but he,s never a fool..think you are still dizzy from all that spinning around in co op window...
And you didn't read my post. I was not praising Trump, I was making point dealing with a single head is way easier than the farce we call negotiating with EU...
Listened to one of his aids on radio this morning.. He made sense, was articulate and said positive things about our future relationship with USA...
Just like Brexit, Trump has to be given time..assess his time in office in 4 years time..
But that's not your way is it OG. Enjoy the co op...

• Disagree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I have to say Theresa May delivered a good speech and it did have the detail that most of us sought. However it did have elements of 'cake and eat it'.
We all pretty much accepted that we were leaving the single market and the customs union,the former because we want to control immigration and our own law making and the latter because we want to do free trade deals with the rest of the world,in hindsight,it was obvious.
But,and its a big but,she wants a form of customs union which allows us to pick certain categories of product,car parts and bank trading,where she wants special deals allowing us to free trade with the world and also continue tariff-free with the EU....I just cannot see the EU agreeing to this. They have many anti-dumping tariffs (otherwise known as German trade walls) that if removed would allow parts to flow freely from China to Germany,via the UK,without tariff...it seems improbable that the Germans would agree to that.
So if we dont get what we want we will reduce corporation tax to 10% to hurt us all,that sounds like the start of a vicious trade war.
The £ strengthened today on the back of Theresa May's speech,but it was supported by higher than expected inflation figures (we could all have told them that),no doubt the BoE will put up interest rates. And also Trumps tweets causing anxiety in the US hitting the dollar.
It seems who can make the biggest mess first,Trump or May,as to the effect on the £ v $.
Some seem to think May's speech is a done deal.I think it is the first rung of a tall/steep ladder,with lots of rungs missing on the way,and easy to fall off the top.
Interesting days.
KudosDave

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Good post Kudos...I thought she did well...
I,ve just had report from HL...expecting bull market through 2017 ( even after Trump,Brexit and Speech)Trouble is its the one that goes against " accepted wisdom" who tends to do well on Stock Market..
Agreed tho...interesting times..

• Disagree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
@ Zlatan, Pound goes up, footsie goes down. Simple principle of communicating vessels. Is Mr H of H&L wrong this time?
@ Kudosdave, I did not get the impression of her having cake and eat it. She confirms what we knew from Donald Tusk, hard brexit or no brexit. It's about time she gives us some clarification. We can live with the Pound at $1.25 (meaning Woosh can keep most of our bikes under a grand) and it's not a bad base to go for a transitional period. If it does not work out, Mrs May will be gone, another government may just call the whole thing off. On the other hand, if it does, then Mrs May will become a legend.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG
Trump may be a lot of things but he,s never a fool..think you are still dizzy from all that spinning around in co op window...
And you didn't read my post. I was not praising Trump, I was making point dealing with a single head is way easier than the farce we call negotiating with EU...
Listened to one of his aids on radio this morning.. He made sense, was articulate and said positive things about our future relationship with USA...
Just like Brexit, Trump has to be given time..assess his time in office in 4 years time..
But that's not your way is it OG. Enjoy the co op...
Usual comment, usual personal attack if you were half as bright as you think you are you would have understood by now that Con men tend to be plausible, it works every time to convince the simple minded who take words at their face value and do not seek to understand the motive at work behind them.
And after all the EU is far beyond anything that you can hope to understand if you can't see what a Fraud Trump is.
By the way the last time I entered a Co-op was as a delivery boy in 1958, it was fun, but hard work.

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Here is something to brighten tillsons day, his favourite moron has been waffling again
"
This is Jacob Rees-Mogg in the Independent explaining what is to happen to your current environmental standards in Brexit Britain:

Britain could slash environmental and safety standards 'a very long way' after Brexit, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg says.

The MP said standards that were 'good enough for India' could be good enough for the UK."

A Case of Goodness Flowing, obviously, the Tory Vultures are gathering already!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Woosh..thats a very simplistic view of relationship between pound and ftse. May well be case whilst ftse has been stagnant ( which it was for years until june23rd...)
The FTSE 100 in 1995 was around the 3700 mark... The pound around 1.4 euro....Your vessel theory is at best flawed explaing the rise in both , decline in both, and inverse relationship with them at various times in ftse's history.
The pound for a long time has been over valued, buying general stuff abroad is an example demonstrating premis. Even now generally things abroad are same price...We all like a strong pound to take abroad but assuming it should always be case is wrong and a business relying on it is going to struggle. Value at moment is more realistic and much more inline with rest most of Europe on a cost of living basis. There was talk of euro / pound going to parity and staying there years ago.

Think all we can say is ftse was bouyed by fall in sterling recently in this instance. You can not say there is an inverse relationship between the two. Had UK commerce been in a really bad state the fall in pound would not have brought about rise in ftse. Its far more complex.
I think pound will recover, am I willing to bet on it ? Not with my own cash.!

Last edited:
  • Disagree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
OG
Really is time you and I stopped bickering.
My post has nothing specific about any folk at either end of socioeconomic spectrum. Its simply stating a fact. With the pound at its current level , folk living in Europe ( most if it ,not all) are paying pretty much same for basics.( food, diesel, drink, fuel etc etc)
Go into any Lidl in France / Germany / Spain and even with pound at its current level you could still buy stuff cheaper than either at home or than locals in those countries pay. Try it I,ve just returned through Spain and France...in both stuff is still cheaper. So my point is simply pound isn't that weak.

• Disagree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG
Really is time you and I stopped bickering.
My post has nothing specific about any folk at either end of socioeconomic spectrum. Its simply stating a fact. With the pound at its current level , folk living in Europe ( most if it ,not all) are paying pretty much same for basics.( food, diesel, drink, fuel etc etc)
Go into any Lidl in France / Germany / Spain and even with pound at its current level you could still buy stuff cheaper than either at home or than locals in those countries pay. Try it I,ve just returned through Spain and France...in both stuff is still cheaper. So my point is simply pound isn't that weak.
Have you not wondered why I keep on about this morbid fetish you have for money?
What is at stake is far more important than that and you never ever express any interest in the social consequences of what is happening.
Brexit isn't the important thing from my point of view, what is is that the people will now be exploited by a bunch of sharks who like you seem to have no interest whatsoever in anything other than money.
Try to develop your arguments onto a bigger canvas than you have been doing, nothing you have contributed so far even begins to look at the effect this major change has on anything other than your wallet.
Is this all that counts to you?

• Agree

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Have you not wondered why I keep on about this morbid fetish you have for money?
What is at stake is far more important than that and you never ever express any interest in the social consequences of what is happening.
Brexit isn't the important thing from my point of view, what is is that the people will now be exploited by a bunch of sharks who like you seem to have no interest whatsoever in anything other than money.
Try to develop your arguments onto a bigger canvas than you have been doing, nothing you have contributed so far even begins to look at the effect this major change has on anything other than your wallet.
Is this all that counts to you?
YES, without a doubt. The countries wallet pays for all those in need. If country is poor, the first that suffer are the very poor.
Social reforms, schools, health service, social services need paying for....
Besides , again you seem very selective on picking my comments out as offending underprivileged ( which they don't) How many other posts have gone on and on about lost profits, lower margins...not a word to them OG...

• Disagree

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Very funny, OG.

From WEF17, China intend to take over role of USA. Here is a quote fro Xi, in the Guardian:
Xi likened the global economy to a big ocean from which it was impossible to escape. “Any attempt to cut off the flow of capital, goods, and people between economies, and channel the waters into the ocean back into isolated lakes and creeks is simply not possible.
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/jan/17/china-xi-jinping-china-free-trade-trump-globalisation-wef-davos

Xi wants the Paris climate change accords, renewable energy and free trade. Mr Trump wants to dig for fossil energy, border tax and build a wall.

Who do you think will be proven right and where does Mrs May stand?

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
China 1 - USA 0...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Brexiters objected to the EU on the mistaken grounds that it is undemocratic.

But their champion Theresa May is the dictator stating how we will negotiate to leave the EU and what we will negotiate for.

No prior consultation with our democratic parliament, no chance for parliament to debate and reach an agreement on what we should be negotiating for. Not even a referendum choice of what we should aim for in the event of a Brexit vote.

Just the orders of an unelected dictator with no mandate, foisted upon us when the leader we did vote for departed.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Here is something to brighten tillsons day, his favourite moron has been waffling again
"
This is Jacob Rees-Mogg in the Independent explaining what is to happen to your current environmental standards in Brexit Britain:

Britain could slash environmental and safety standards 'a very long way' after Brexit, Tory MP Jacob Rees-Mogg says.

The MP said standards that were 'good enough for India' could be good enough for the UK."

A Case of Goodness Flowing, obviously, the Tory Vultures are gathering already!
I think that today has been a good day for BREXIT. We now know what Mrs May will be asking for on behalf of our country. I think she has established a firm footing for the commencement of negotiations and I have been pleasantly surprised.

There is always a negative side and today the down side has been the re-emergence of the Tiny Scottish Idiot Woman. Hopefully it will soon pass over.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
YES, without a doubt. The countries wallet pays for all those in need. If country is poor, the first that suffer are the very poor.
Social reforms, schools, health service, social services need paying for....
Besides , again you seem very selective on picking my comments out as offending underprivileged ( which they don't) How many other posts have gone on and on about lost profits, lower margins...not a word to them OG...
No one else devotes their entire attention to them as you have, do they?

• Disagree
  • Agree
Reactions: robdon and Zlatan

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I think that today has been a good day for BREXIT. We now know what Mrs May will be asking for on behalf of our country. I think she has established a firm footing for the commencement of negotiations and I have been pleasantly surprised.

There is always a negative side and today the down side has been the re-emergence of the Tiny Scottish Idiot Woman. Hopefully it will soon pass over.
You are correct, unfortunately it will not prove to have been a good one for common sense.

• Agree

Advertisers