this is the car of the future :p

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I liked Dmitry Medvedev's comment about our sanctions when he was Russian PM:

" We know about sanctions, they impose them, we ignore them, and then they come crawling back for the business".

Brilliant, and so true!
anti-war demos in Russia may stop the fighting soon.

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Putin isn't as popular within Russia as he was pre-covid. If he plays his cards right, this conflict could shore up his support: jingoism to the rescue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
anti-war demos in Russia may stop the fighting soon.
I dont think the fighting will last long, but I'm sure it will last long enough for Putin to get control of Ukraine. The anti-war demos are inconvenient but demos have never stopped Russia doing anything, any more than protests in China have ever stopped them. A new factor now in this respect is that Putin will not want to lose face in front of Xi Jinping by going soft.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
Putin isn't as popular within Russia as he was pre-covid. If he plays his cards right, this conflict could shore up his support: jingoism to the rescue.
It certainly seem to do it for boris and Biden and macron. I suspect the conservative politicians in the world are collectively quite chuffed about this latest misfortune for the common souls.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
It certainly seem to do it for boris and Biden and macron. I suspect the conservative politicians in the world are collectively quite chuffed about this latest misfortune for the common souls.
It has unified some quite disparate groups. Macron, Vonn Leyen, Biden, Starmer, Johnson, Wallace and essentially all freeworld leaders saying same if not similar things. NATO will be more organised, better funded and probably carry more sway. US are sending troops to Germany. Latvia Estonia and Romania singing from same hymm sheet and planning for worst.
Seems Trump and Corbyn are only ones out of step.
I suspect Putin has actually made a massive error. He seemed rather nervous yesterday. That could be bad for us all tho. Cornered, wounded bears are rather dangerous.
Yet again. Glad it's not me making the big decisions. Sort of puts our moaning about birthday cake in perspective.
Threat of nuclear war concentrates the mind somewhat.
I wonder what would be happening had Ukraine not returned all its nuclear war heads to Russia??? (I believe it was part of their independence agreement??)

Reactions: guerney and oyster

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I suspect Putin has actually made a massive error. He seemed rather nervous yesterday. That could be bad for us all tho. Cornered, wounded bears are rather dangerous.
he has, as he was left with little choice after the West and Ukraine refused to yield.
He knows all he can do is regime change and not occupy. Hollow victory. Over time, regime that he'll put in place will be replaced and the new generation will reject his style of leadership.
After the coffins are brought home, he may not be able to start another war like this one for the rest of his life. He'll die a bitter man.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
And of course get ten back in response
This is of course a fake threat.
After all remember this
No one can afford that to happen
You don't think Putin would carry out his threat? Doesn't seem like a bloke who makes empty threats OG. Yep, he didn't say exactly that yesterday but inference was there.He's justified to invade Ukraine in his own head. He's looking for justification to go further.??
The trouble is if Putin is backed far enough into a corner he has nothing left to lose. I think he'd resort to them to save face.
They have single biggest store of Nuclear warheads on planet. I believe 6000 plus. I, ll bet one has Rotherham and one has Hull already programmed in.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
After the coffins are brought home, he may not be able to start another war like this one for the rest of his life. He'll die a bitter man.
We'll see. What Putin has done is nothing compared to what Stalin got away with over the decades of his tyrannical rule. Our media hides the fact that at least half of all Russians support Putin, it's mainly the young who dissent but they tend to change and harden as they age

Even Putin's pal Erdogan in Turkey does worse than Putin. Putin just throws the odd journalist in prison or arranges their disposal. Erdogan imprisons them in their thousands and remains popular.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
We'll see. What Putin has done is nothing compared to what Stalin got away with over the decades of his tyrannical rule. Our media hides the fact that at least half of all Russians support Putin, it's mainly the young who dissent but they tend to change and harden as they age

Even Putin's pal Erdogan in Turkey does worse than Putin. Putin just throws the odd journalist in prison or arranges their disposal. Erdogan imprisons them in their thousands and remains popular.
Two wrongs don't make a right Flecc. I suspect Putin is rather deranged and extremely dangerous. What on earth does he hope to achieve. Nobody can turn clock back. He isn't a Tzar, he can't resurrect a Russian Empire. He, s going to cause WW3.
I wonder what Ukraine would be doing were they a nuclear power?? Would he be sending troups in to get an ICBM landing on Moscow. The man is mad.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
He's justified to invade Ukraine in his own head. He's looking for justification to go further.??
No, he has no intention of going further. Talk of that is just the West whipping up hate against him by fabrication and gross exaggeration.

He's done what he set out to do, shown the West, Ukraine and Georgia that he meant it when he said NATO can't come any closer.

In a years time we'll be trading with Russia again as if nothing has happened. That is what happened after he invaded Georgia with an even more vicious attack.

We'll still have to still buy Russian gas and oil and as they supply a third of the world's wheat, at least some of that. Meanwhile China has just said they'll buy the Russian wheat.

• Agree
Reactions: GLJoe and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Two wrongs don't make a right Flecc. I suspect Putin is rather deranged and extremely dangerous. What on earth does he hope to achieve. Nobody can turn clock back. He isn't a Tzar, he can't resurrect a Russian Empire. He, s going to cause WW3.
I wonder what Ukraine would be doing were they a nuclear power?? Would he be sending troups in to get an ICBM landing on Moscow. The man is mad.
You're just believing the silly lies, he's not at all mad, just determined as Russian leaders have usually been. There is no possibility of this momentary event leading to nuclear war.

• Agree
Reactions: GLJoe

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
You don't think Putin would carry out his threat? Doesn't seem like a bloke who makes empty threats OG. Yep, he didn't say exactly that yesterday but inference was there.He's justified to invade Ukraine in his own head. He's looking for justification to go further.??
The trouble is if Putin is backed far enough into a corner he has nothing left to lose. I think he'd resort to them to save face.
They have single biggest store of Nuclear warheads on planet. I believe 6000 plus. I, ll bet one has Rotherham and one has Hull already programmed in.
I tend to watch Sergei Lavrov on TV.
He puts the Russian view in a way people in the West can understand.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I tend to watch Sergei Lavrov on TV.
He puts the Russian view in a way people in the West can understand.
And in mean time Ukrainians are dying along with Russian soldiers. This isn't like the past Flecc when Russia rolled into Hungary. Ukraine is 10 times the size and Russia nowhere nearly as powerful as in days gone by. Agreed short term victory will undoubtedly go to Russia but this will run and run. Ukraine will when defeated fight a Guerilla war, Russia hasn't done well in other countries under such situations and this time its agianst their own. Help will be flowing into Ukraine both now and for years to come. Its the very nature of Russia's weaker position that makes situation so much more dangerous and exactly why it could escalate. Ukrainians do stand a chance, and will not accept retrograde steps. If they don't succeed now, they will fight on and on. Nobody knows where this could end. Putin has gone in not knowing the end game. Always a recipe for bloodshed.

jonathan.agnew

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 27, 2018
He's machiavellian. Like stalin an unprincipled thug. There's a bloodthirsty bit of me that hopes he invades a nato ally. Next generation stealth nato aircraft will make ussr air superiority history in no time.

Reactions: guerney and Zlatan

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
He's machiavellian. Like stalin an unprincipled thug. There's a bloodthirsty bit of me that hopes he invades a nato ally. Next generation stealth nato aircraft will make ussr air superiority history in no time.
In a way I agree but worry of consequences and retribution.
On a lighter note, Putin will soon capitulate. Russia just banned from Euro vision, he didn't expect that did he.
Just checked. Ukraine gave up (gave back?) all its nuclear weapons for guarantees from Putin for country's independance/security. That has proven quite futile.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I think Putin should meet up with Mayor of Kyiv and put his judo skills upto the test.
Would save thousands of lives and millions of pounds. Even when Putin was at his absolute best he wouldn't last a round... I reckon it would be over in 20 seconds.

Last edited:

Advertisers