Brexit, for once some facts.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I have been out on my Ebike for two hours!
How's that for impressive timing eh?

My view?
The general election is meaningless
This is like voting to unfry a fried egg.
This is like an election in a Communist Country where all the Candidates are owned by someone pulling the strings

The Conservatives will win, and the Good news is that will be a Pyrhhic Victory of Epic proportions and could well discredit them for a generation after the Public are exposed to them for a couple of years.

Mrs May Clearly believes that a Public mandate will clear her of all blame for what is to come.
It wont!

I shall waste my Vote on the Party that opposes Brexit of course, assuming one actually does!
That's ridiculous OG...are you really trying to tell us there is no opposition even tho that opposition could adopt any policies it wished to be popular and take over governance..
Why aren't all the policies you and Tom have spouted being taken up ? I,ll tell you why, its because they represent such a small minority..
This is exactly how democracy works, its just that when you don't like the result you claim fowl , unfair or fascist propoganda newspapers have caused it...
May will go to the polls, get relected, probably with a stronger majority and we all know you and your ilk will carry on moaning..
In reality you don't want democracy, you want a system where a minority with your views takes control. That is a dictatorship and ironically its how you have described May. If what she was doing is so wrong and unpopular please explain how she will be reelected ???

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It won't make any difference whatever to the damage the nation will suffer, so it hardly matters, does it?
However the idea of a coalition government is interesting.
the reason the Pound rises at the moment is a bigger majority will create the conditions for softer brexit. Furthermore, a win for Mrs May means that Mr Corbyn will be replaced and Labour may be led by a more effective team than Corbyn and McDonnell.
Not many people believe Mr Corbyn is going to be the next PM.
If labour can hold on to their numbers in parliament, the LibDems are going to win over some the remainers from the tories, forcing the tories out of some seats, maybe enough to force a coalition.
Whichever way, hard brexit is a bit less likely.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's ridiculous OG...are you really trying to tell us there is no opposition even tho that opposition could adopt any policies it wished to be popular and take over governance..
Why aren't all the policies you and Tom have spouted being taken up ? I,ll tell you why, its because they represent such a small minority..
This is exactly how democracy works, its just that when you don't like the result you claim fowl , unfair or fascist propoganda newspapers have caused it...
May will go to the polls, get relected, probably with a stronger majority and we all know you and your ilk will carry on moaning..
In reality you don't want democracy, you want a system where a minority with your views takes control. That is a dictatorship..
Same old rubbish, and still nothing whatever to do with the thread has it?
The Conservaitves only have a small majority and had to pander to UKIP to get even that, it seems you have conveniently forgotten
And if you imagine the public are not influenced by the media, you are just kidding yourself..
"
its just that when you don't like the result you claim fowl , unfair or fascist propoganda newspapers have caused it...
May will go to the polls, get relected, probably with a stronger majority and we all know you and your ilk will carry on moaning.."

We report what is obviously going on that you refuse to see, and yes, when the abuse continues, we will still complain, and we don't need your permsission to do so, do we?
Just because you can't see the wood for the trees, don't assume others are as slow on the uptake.
All the promises made at the Referendum have proved to be lies, are you still in denial over that?

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
If OG and KTM are correct May will simply lose , that's democracy. She will be forced into a coalition ( at moment goodness knows who with) but to call it a dictatorship the same day an election is called is actually quite astounding.
May is obviously led to believe her position ( majority) will be strengthened, hopefully shutting up ,or at least depowering, the remoaners.
On the other hand if remain is so strong ( as KTM suggests, but actually he knows otherwise) she will be worse off, or even out of No 10.

Claiming fowl, dictatorship, fascist or whatever at this stage is simply preempting the result.
We could be in for another shock..Brexit and Trump were both written off..!!
You remainers have caused this, it might work, but if it doesn't ...for goodness sake shut the feck up..

Remainers saying yes she will win is actually accepting Brexit is more popular than remaining.. We will see.

• Dislike
If OG and KTM are correct May will simply lose , that's democracy. She will be forced into a coalition ( at moment goodness knows who with) but to call it a dictatorship the same day an election is called is actually quite astounding.
May is obviously led to believe her position ( majority) will be strengthened, hopefully shutting up ,or at least depowering, the remoaners.
On the other hand if remain is so strong ( as KTM suggests, but actually he knows otherwise) she will be worse off, or even out of No 10.

Claiming fowl, dictatorship, fascist or whatever at this stage is simply preempting the result.
We could be in for another shock..Brexit and Trump were both written off..!!
You remainers have caused this, it might work, but if it doesn't ...for goodness sake shut the feck up..

Remainers saying yes she will win is actually accepting Brexit is more popular than remaining.. We will see.
I don;t think you can say the remain vote has caused this... I think its obvious what's caused this.
May has said since she got in, that she'd not call a snap election. So what's changed her mind.

If she saw out the term, we'd be having the election in 2020. Which is the year after Brexit. So if its such a positive, why not wait to then and claim all the glory? The only logic can be that she's looked at the period between now and then, and made the call that its (and by it - i mean her chance of victory) is only going to get worse.

So call it now, and hope they win and then they can deal with the problems when they come up.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
May has said since she got in, that she'd not call a snap election. So what's changed her mind.
there is a real risk that parliament will reject the deal with the EU and a resurgence of UKIP.
There is no better time for her than now, before the electorate wonders why she would agree to pay the EU a large divorce settlement.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I don;t think you can say the remain vote has caused this... I think its obvious what's caused this.

If she saw out the term, we'd be having the election in 2020. Which is the year after Brexit. So if its such a positive, why not wait to then and claim all the glory? The only logic can be that she's looked at the period between now and then, and made the call that its (and by it - i mean her chance of victory) is only going to get worse.

So call it now, and hope they win and then they can deal with the problems when they come up.
I think she is trying to quieten dissenting voices...in a way she is going back to country and saying are you sure..If there was really strong opposition to leaving it would automatically become an issue to fight GE over. Will Labour react ? Doubtful ! Will Lib Dems attract enough remainers ?? If they do...we get our answer. If they don't...we still do.
I think the country wants out, but who really knows ??

• Agree
Reactions: Jimod

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
there is a real risk that parliament will reject the deal with the EU and a resurgence of UKIP.
There is no better time for her than now, before the electorate wonders why she would agree to pay the EU a large divorce settlement.
And no doubt make other unpopular agreements

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree
I think she is trying to quieten dissenting voices...in a way she is going back to country and saying are you sure..If there was really strong opposition to leaving it would automatically become an issue to fight GE over. Will Labour react ? Doubtful ! Will Lib Dems attract enough remainers ?? If they do...we get our answer. If they don't...we still do.
I think the country wants out, but who really knows ??
Well the Lib Dems gained 1000 members in just the hour after the notification this morning.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/theresa-may-general-election-2017-lib-dems-gain-members-1000-a7688711.html

It is going to be an interesting few months and that's for sure.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
I totally agree its going to be interesting but as for LibDems and 1000 in first hour...not sure those numbers are exactly significant in a voting population of I,d guess 55 million.?
Its why its so difficult to get an impression of what's going on based on people we know / meet.
But we,ll know more this June now...
OG/ Tom
I noticed you disliked my earlier post but failed to answer my question.
Please explain why May will be reelected if her policies/ decisions are so unpopular ?
If she is not relected, well that shows country neither wants Tories,Brexit or May.
If she is it shows all three are popular. ?? Cant see your problem with that?
If LibDems gain massive support your ideas will show to be deciding the GE, if Labour came to their senses on a number of Government losing policies , and actually made a decision about Brexit ( one way or the other) perhaps they could form next government.
Its simple really. The party with the most popular policies , or policy if GE is fought over one issue, will have control post GE..

I don't quite see how you can dislike such obvious points.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Please explain why May will be reelected if her policies/ decisions are so unpopular ?
Very simple, because the people are convinced that any other choice will be worse, and of course many vote out of habit without thinking it through.
This does not mean that they are right, merely that the effort and expense required to convince them has been successful.
And since there appears to be no means of retracting article 50, no doubt many regard Brexit as a Foregone Conclusion, and are bored with it anyway, as even after all this time no one has actually articulated an argument in it's favour, and to counter that the media pretend all is well.
The average person can hardly be any the wiser now than they were at the time of the Referendum, as all promises are broken, Nothing positive is on the horizon, and the realisation has set in that we are literally stuck with Brexit.
In other words as a nation we have painted ourselves into a corner.

The voters are being asked to vote for the lesser of two evils, (or three or four, whatever) with no real hope of things working out well.

Tell me if that is too hard for you to understand.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Think Erdogan inspired May to go for a full on dictatorship. Her speech she mentioned how the opposition were opposing her and that basically wasn't acceptable... you couldn't make this stuff up.
May is a dictator and she doesn't like to hear or act on opinions regarding how her decisions will affect people. If she gets the large majority, it will be a bad situation.

I will never vote for May or the Conservative and was considering a Labour vote this time. That was until I heard Diane Abbott on Radio 4 at lunch time, she managed to talk me out of voting for Labour.

I really hope the Conservatives get a kicking next month, but I can't see it happening.

Reactions: flecc

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Very simple, because the people are convinced that any other choice will be worse, and of course many vote out of habit without thinking it through.
This does not mean that they are right, merely that the effort and expense required to convince them has been successful.
And since there appears to be no means of retracting article 50, no doubt many regard Brexit as a Foregone Conclusion, and are bored with it anyway, as even after all this time no one has actually articulated an argument in it's favour, and to counter that the media pretend all is well.
The average person can hardly be any the wiser now than they were at the time of the Referendum, as all promises are broken, Nothing positive is on the horizon, and the realisation has set in that we are literally stuck with Brexit.
In other words as a nation we have painted ourselves into a corner.

The voters are being asked to vote for the lesser of two evils, (or three or four, whatever) with no real hope of things working out well.

Tell me if that is too hard for you to understand.
So basically you don't believe in democracy...and you are perfectly within your right in UK to put up your deposit and stand. If enough thought like you a hero would come forward to take over the lesser of 2 evils you describe, but we all know there simply isn't the support for anyone expounding your views.
Again, that is how democracy works. Yes, its not perfect but if sufficient people think in a particular way politicians being politicians would adopt the political stance to get into power.
Yet again, you moan but offer nothing. My views are represented by present government. If yours are not find someone to represent you, find enough support and vote them in..
But its far easier to just spout lesser of 2 evils and do nothing...It seems from your comments May will be getting your begrudging support...easy way out for you.
Or perhaps you will waste a vote on Corbyn ?? Clegg perhaps..?? Nobody is saying what you want to hear. That should tell you something OG.

Last edited:
  • Dislike

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
May is a dictator and she doesn't like to hear or act on opinions regarding how her decisions will affect people. If she gets the large majority, it will be a bad situation.

I will never vote for May or the Conservative and was considering a Labour vote this time. That was until I heard Diane Abbott on Radio 4 at lunch time, she managed to talk me out of voting for Labour.

I really hope the Conservatives get a kicking next month, but I can't see it happening.
Don't agree with May being a dictator but believe quite strongly Diane Abbott, Corbyn and Blair have equally destroyed any chance of Labour getting into power in our lifetimes...

Last edited:
  • Dislike

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Nor can I, my friend!

• Agree

gray198

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 4, 2012
Don't agree with May being a dictator but believe quite strongly Diane Abbott, Corbyn and Blair have equally destroyed any chance of Labour getting into power in our lifetimes...
That's a pity. We need a good opposition so the government can't walk all over us. Look what happened with Blair??

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
So basically you don't believe in democracy...and you are perfectly within your right in UK to put up your deposit and stand. If enough thought like you a hero would come forward to take over the lesser of 2 evils you describe, but we all know there simply isn't the support for anyone expounding your views.
Again, that is how democracy works. Yes, its not perfect but if sufficient people think in a particular way politicians being politicians would adopt the political stance to get into power.
Yet again, you moan but offer nothing. My views are represented by present government. If yours are not find someone to represent you, find enough support and vote them in..
But its far easier to just spout lesser of 2 evils and do nothing...It seems from your comments May will be getting your begrudging support...easy way out for you.
Or perhaps you will waste a vote on Corbyn ?? Clegg perhaps..?? Nobody is saying what you want to hear. That should tell you something OG.
I tried to keep it simple but you still failed to understand.
Me will vote lib dem
Switch on your brain cell and read instead of making up your usual nonsense.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's a pity. We need a good opposition so the government can't walk all over us. Look what happened with Blair??
Strictly Ed, his wife Yvette and the Milliband brothers can all give Mrs May a good run.

Advertisers