Brexit, for once some facts.

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Hi guys me again
While you are all pausing for breath, thought I'd inject another little thought

What do you think of Junkers "presidential ban" forbidding all EU countries talking to Uk to avoid any smoke filled room deals being made?
Frankly I didn't know he had that power? Or has he just lost the plot
If he's got that power then it reveals quite a lot about the democracy element again
And it is fascinating to see how he would enforce that?
Perhaps threaten to resign, too much to hope for perhaps

Now guys in answering this post don't forget your smilie faces:)

• :D
Reactions: mike killay

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Hi guys me again

What do you think of Junkers "presidential ban" forbidding all EU countries talking to Uk to avoid any smoke filled room deals being made?
If he's got that power then it reveals quite a lot about the democracy element again

I don't think he has the power to prevent it and I am hearing that Poland are keen on just that.

He is also trying to dictate the time scale for triggering the official notification to withdraw from the EU. Again, no power to do that.

This is a clear demonstration of how the EU sincerely believe that they sit above the democratic will of individual nations and it will be their downfall.

The stupid thing is, we could have had an 80% remain vote with just a few concessions to the way things are run, but they are too pig headed to realise that.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
What I wrote was this
"To say there is no link between the unrest caused by Brexit and acts of racism is like saying there is no link with getting wet if you go out when its raining."

For crying our loud try to understand that I have NOT linked racist activity to Brexit voters, but to the fact they the racists exploit the atmosphere of distrust and lets face it rage that the Referendum has created.
Can we not agree on that at least?
It is these subtle links which create a false impression.

Mar 9, 2016
Hi guys me again

My smilie buttons dont work...
But you are absolutely right. I posted earlier about Metkel decreeing " UK are leaving". End of story and remainers just don't see the irony. Junkers and Merkel have more power over our country than Cameron does..well you get my gist..
Amazingly, ironically, Merkel is forcing onto us our own democracy ??? Not for long tho, once out we can force a new referendum and rejoin with a loosing vote ??? I,m confusing myself now.
By the way FTSE almost to pre referendum levels. Would be if it were not for head of German bank making a personal fortune on it...and manipulating market whilst doing so.
Actually just checked, its now higher than pre referendum, inspute of all scaremongering, negativity and German's making fortunes. Hope Gold dropped before he got out.!!!!

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Hi guys me again

He has only the right to insist that no deals are agreed certainly not that no discussion is done, which proves that they suffer from fools as much as we do

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
[emoji1]

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
I don't think he has the power to prevent it and I am hearing that Poland are keen on just that.

He is also trying to dictate the time scale for triggering the official notification to withdraw from the EU. Again, no power to do that.

This is a clear demonstration of how the EU sincerely believe that they sit above the democratic will of individual nations and it will be their downfall.

The stupid thing is, we could have had an 80% remain vote with just a few concessions to the way things are run, but they are too pig headed to realise that.
I I thought it sounded wrong, but if you believe the press it is what he said
Also another that seemed far fetched but maybe said in bad humour was if a brexiteers won the election they would expect clause 50 to be initiated immediately, if a remainder wins the election they get a couple of weeks

Bizarre statements I know but tells us something about his state of mind that will not be lost on the governmental heads

clearly guys you aren't daft... do you really think what people are saying publicly is what's actually happening?

She even said this morning:

"Publicly... we can see no way to turn this around. It's not a time for wishful thinking, but of contemplating the reality."

Key word in that sentence, is "publicly" what do you think is happening privately?

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
clearly guys you aren't daft... do you really think what people are saying publicly is what's actually happening?

She even said this morning:

"Publicly... we can see no way to turn this around. It's not a time for wishful thinking, but of contemplating the reality."

Key word in that sentence, is "publicly" what do you think is happening privately?
I completely agree which is why I have said all along that a vote for Brexit is the start of negotiations and potentially to change the direction of the EU
The Commission does not like that but it will not be lost on the countries
Better to have that debate now, rather than just deal with Brexit and store that for later
The EU is in trouble and it knows it, but I am under no illusions, the arguments will be long and no agreement to the final hour of the 2 years or later
I would not even at this stage bet on us leaving the Eu at the end of this process. But I can cope with out, or a genuinely reformed European direction

Reactions: mike killay

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
By the way FTSE almost to pre referendum levels.
The FTSE 100 isn't a reliable guide to the current situation since it includes such a large foreign trade content which is influenced in both directions by it's spread.

The FTSE 250 is a much better reflection of the UK's interests. That dropped sharply on the result but has recovered a third since:

Chart Link

Mar 9, 2016
The FTSE 100 isn't a reliable guide to the current situation since it includes such a large foreign trade content which is influenced in both directions by it's spread.

The FTSE 250 is a much better reflection of the UK's interests. That dropped sharply on the result but has recovered a third since:

Chart Link

Totally agreed Flecc but it was those companies within the top 100 which the leaving experts said would be affected.
However, its early days no doubt when art 50 is initiated there will be an effect and then again as the real changes start to take effect down the line.

Reactions: flecc

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

Chart Link
I agree, but when it went down the day after the referendum, the news liberally splashed around in a negative sense.

• Agree
Reactions: gray198 and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Totally agreed Flecc but it was those companies within the top 100 which the leaving experts said would be affected.
However, its early days no doubt when art 50 is initiated there will be an effect and then again as the real changes start to take effect down the line.
I agree, but when it went down the day after the referendum, the news liberally splashed around in a negative sense.
Very true, as ever the media and opposing interests looked for sensation and grabbed anything they could get hold of.

It's far too early to get any reliable indication of what effect the referendum result will have, and any movements are just as likely to reflect our current UK political chaos. Markets hate any sort of instability.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
OG afraid you are in a tiny minority there. ( you and Flecc, perhaps Junkers)
I know of none else that want a united states iof Europe. That iis dreaming, even had we stayed. It might be that that's frightening people.
Sorry I have been listening but not joining in the endless feuding, but I want US of E

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
At last we see signs of oppositon: the Lib Dems are hoping to make a come back with a get us back into the EU position.
The Labour Party certainly can't provide any, can it? the official stance being meek acceptance of leaving the EU.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Sorry I have been listening but not joining in the endless feuding, but I want US of E
Well said, the time for tiny little nations is long past its sell by date, and quite frankly the formation of a United States of Europe more in the nature of when than if.
Even an old fool can see thats inevitable.;)

Last edited:

BrendanJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 6, 2016
Cheshire
Well said, the time for tiny little nations is long past its sell by date, and quite frankly the formation of a United States of Europe more in the nature of when than if.
Even an old fool can see the inevitable.;)
When you think of these things idealistically it sounds so wonderful
One World, equality, no more wars, trade on equal terms, the elimination of the nation state, no more poverty, free movement, freedom of expression, free love:)
But superimposed on the reality i fear this is Dangerously idealistic and frankly is probably 200 years before its time at best
Human nature and our current state is just not ready for that kind of scenario, which is more likely to backfire and lead to oppressive dictatorship and enslavement of the populace.
If you think this unrealistic then beware, i am being no less fancy full, less haste for heaven is my motto, it will come to all of us soon enough

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
When you think of these things idealistically it sounds so wonderful
One World, equality, no more wars, trade on equal terms, the elimination of the nation state
But superimposed on the reality is fear this is Dangerously idealistic and frankly is probably 200 years before its time at best
Human nature and our current state is just not ready for that kind of scenario, which is more likely to backfire and lead to oppressive dictatorship and enslavement of the populace.
If you think this unrealistic then beware, i am being no less fancy full, less haste for heaven is my motto, it will come to all of us soon enough
"But superimposed on the reality is fear this is Dangerously idealistic and frankly is probably 200 years before its time at best"

So only fear is preventing it happening but in 200 years or so it will?
The only thing we appear to differ on is the date.
It seems the idea is popular on the mainland]

Attitude toward further development of the EU into a federation of nation states
EU members with more people in favour of a federation than against in darker green

Last edited:

Advertisers