Brexit, for once some facts.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
the problem is he isn't an anomaly. many UK companies pension funds are badly underfunded, and recently, I think priti patel, said they shouldn't be pressurised too much to balance pension funds while in difficult financial times (which sounds to me like a licence to asset strip frankly). I have a strong hunch our prime minister and her G4S husband, not to mention the rest of the Tory party, are much more naturally aligned with the Philip Greens of this world than ex BHS floor staff who slogged for thirty years and are in a dire place
I think you are right about this. At one time, pensions were platinum plated untouchable assets. For a lot of people working in uninspiring conditions & industries, the pension was the goal, the thing they looked forward to and worked towards.

How cruel when that is snatched away by a fabulously wealthy person who isn't satisfied with a fortune. Their greed and craving for even more money drives them to steal from those who can least afford to lose it.

Recently, there is a growing unpleasant ease with which people's pension pots are regarded as fair game to be raided. It's just disgusting, one of the worst betrayals of workers. I believe May will have no qualms about seeing this trend continue.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Recently, there is a growing unpleasant ease with which people's pension pots are regarded as fair game to be raided. It's just disgusting, one of the worst betrayals of workers. I believe May will have no qualms about seeing this trend continue.
What really angers me is the way successive governments push workers into company pension schemes, ensuring this form of corporate theft can continue.

The current one is "The Workplace Pension".

Add to that the insanity of Osbourne's on-demand release of accrued pension funds to people who clearly have no skills in managing large sums and one wonders if government wants to ensure economic collapse in old age.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
What really angers me is the way successive governments push workers into company pension schemes, ensuring this form of corporate theft can continue.

Add to that the insanity of Osbourne's on-demand release of accrued pension funds to people who clearly have no skills in managing large sums and one wonders if government wants to ensure economic collapse in old age.
Actually it's more likely a form of stress enhanced Euthanasia by tempting the old and frail to damage their lives through a cycle of brief financial excitement followed by a bitter sense of loss, betrayal,guilt and then poverty.
Great "Final Solution" for the problem posed by an increasing population of old people, induce them to worry themselves into an early grave.
And it even briefly helps with the economy till the spending stops.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008

I suppose the government want people to get their hands on a sizeable sum of pension pot cash. They know that many people have no experience of managing large amounts of cash and will blow it. This will generate a short term unsustainable boost to the economy on their watch, leaving the mess for future governments to sort out.

Like you, this incenses me.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
"China warns UK relations are at 'historical juncture' over Hinkley Point
Ambassador to Britain stresses need for trust as PM’s attitude to controversial nuclear project remains unclear
“If Britain’s openness is a condition for bilateral co-operation, then mutual trust is the very foundation on which this is built,” Liu Xiaoming wrote in an article for the Financial Times, in which he placed the project at the centre of Britain’s evolving trade relationship with China.

“Right now, the China-UK relationship is at a crucial historical juncture. Mutual trust should be treasured even more. I hope the UK will keep its door open to China and that the British government will continue to support Hinkley Point – and come to a decision as soon as possible so that the project can proceed smoothly.”

No thank you sounds good to me, this country has been damaged enough already by the money our own idiotic financiers invested in Chinese Slave labour "Joint Venture" factories without letting these enemies of the State get involved in having anything no matter how remotely to do with Nuclear Power..
How does "Taking back Sovereignty" square with becoming an economic dependency of the biggest Communist State in the world?
Swap the EU for Communist China? are we insane?

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
"China warns UK relations are at 'historical juncture' over Hinkley Point
Ambassador to Britain stresses need for trust as PM’s attitude to controversial nuclear project remains unclear
“If Britain’s openness is a condition for bilateral co-operation, then mutual trust is the very foundation on which this is built,” Liu Xiaoming wrote in an article for the Financial Times, in which he placed the project at the centre of Britain’s evolving trade relationship with China.

“Right now, the China-UK relationship is at a crucial historical juncture. Mutual trust should be treasured even more. I hope the UK will keep its door open to China and that the British government will continue to support Hinkley Point – and come to a decision as soon as possible so that the project can proceed smoothly.”

No thank you sounds good to me, this country has been damaged enough already by the money our own idiotic financiers invested in Chinese Slave labour "Joint Venture" factories without letting these enemies of the State get involved in having anything no matter how remotely to do with Nuclear Power..
How does "Taking back Sovereignty" square with becoming an economic dependency of the biggest Communist State in the world?
Swap the EU for Communist China? are we insane?
however, and I think most of you may disagree, I feel the UK has often been the bully in the UK EU relationship. perhaps its time the UK as a bully finds out how big the other kids in the playground are when its not part of to my mind a relatively benign EU, that gave it much leverage and voice in the world.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
however, and I think most of you may disagree, I feel the UK has often been the bully in the UK EU relationship. perhaps its time the UK as a bully finds out how big the other kids in the playground are when its not part of to my mind a relatively benign EU, that gave it much leverage and voice in the world.
I agree completely with that[emoji1]

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The Daily Excess is doing a grand job of incensing its readership over Brexit to the point that they sound more and more desperate with every passing day.
Just what, other than to cause a breakdown in public order do they imagine they are doing?
At a time when we should be reading about positive action to achieve a sensible agreed result, this "Rag" of a Newspaper is still stoking up anger and hatred.
The only possible reason is that they sense the cause is lost and support is dwindling, which would at this stage be a shame, as the experiment needs to be completed and a result that is clear even to the least mentally endowed members of the voting public achieved.
And of course to the so called "intelligentsia" who actually rule the country, yet seem to have less in the way of brain power than the average Gnat, and considerable less sympathy for the fate of either the public or the country.
Article 50 NOW!

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
The Daily Excess is doing a grand job of incensing its readership over Brexit to the point that they sound more and more desperate with every passing day.
Just what, other than to cause a breakdown in public order do they imagine they are doing?
At a time when we should be reading about positive action to achieve a sensible agreed result, this "Rag" of a Newspaper is still stoking up anger and hatred.
The only possible reason is that they sense the cause is lost and support is dwindling, which would at this stage be a shame, as the experiment needs to be completed and a result that is clear even to the least mentally endowed members of the voting public achieved.
And of course to the so called "intelligentsia" who actually rule the country, yet seem to have less in the way of brain power than the average Gnat, and considerable less sympathy for the fate of either the public or the country.
Article 50 NOW!
I half agree, but is that "article 50 now!" as in "OK you Tory onanists, you talked the talk now walk the walk and get annihilated so we can all see how you royally screwed the country!" if it is its worth bearing in mind they're dragging all the rest of us with them into the bottomless pit.

Mar 9, 2016
Yep especially in 1916 at Somme and again in 1945 keeping the French free from tyranny.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I half agree, but is that "article 50 now!" as in "OK you Tory onanists, you talked the talk now walk the walk and get annihilated so we can all see how you royally screwed the country!" if it is its worth bearing in mind they're dragging all the rest of us with them into the bottomless pit.
The problem is there seems to be no obvious alternative, and since that is the case better to face whatever comes than dither.
Better to go with a Bang than a Whimper as the saying goes, we are in Limbo at the moment rather like the Phoney war period in 1939.
I am confident that a clearer view of the problems we face, indeed even having to face them will make a convincing argument to see readmission to the EU in a suitably less aggressive and uncooperative state of mind than that we have shown in the past.
We might even learn to understand how to behave ourselves as Europeans instead of acting like some left over colonial power that is nothing more than a "Mouse that Roared"

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
well,
Yep especially in 1916 at Somme and again in 1945 keeping the French free from tyranny.
perhaps in part - but I think mainly 1945 involved Russia via Stalingrad keeping the French free from tyranny; and I'm not at all sure the analogy of a brexit uk as a symbol of freedom and democracy entirely works.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Oh god not another Francophobe Flud message
We didn't fight either war to save the French that you so despise, did we?
In neither case did we go to war to save the French

Do you have anything sensible to say or is attacking someone or the French Nation the limit of your abilities?
Can you never post on topic?

Reactions: derf and robdon

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
This might help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II

The French are really quite nice people. My three sons are French so I may be biased. I also love the Spanish. I have met a few nice English people but not when I was living there...

Reactions: derf
Mar 9, 2016
well,

perhaps in part - but I think mainly 1945 involved Russia via Stalingrad keeping the French free from tyranny; and I'm not at all sure the analogy of a brexit uk as a symbol of freedom and democracy entirely works.
A) Your mention of UK playing the bully has nothing to do with brexit.

B) Had it not been for Uk convoys supplying Russia with arms and specifically American trucks she could never have played part in downfall of Nazi Germany she eventually did.

C) Had it not been for stand Uk made, initially on her own, USA would never have entered war. France would never have been free.( Russia victorious or not ??)

As for your general apparent dislike of uk...Its been my experience the French don't even like themselves. Natives of south France generally dislike northern French, none like Parisiens and Catalans want out...
I don't think accusing uk of bullying is helpful and hardly respectful especially at 100 yr anniversary of Somme where literally thousands upon thousands of bullying Brits laid down their lives in an effort to save French ones. The Somme's primary objective was to relieve pressure on the French.

Suspect you are perhaps showing your own racist tendencies. Accusing a nation of bullying ???

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014

B) Had it not been for Uk convoys supplying Russia with arms and specifically American trucks she could never have played part in downfall of Nazi Germany she eventually did.

C) Had it not been for stand Uk made, initially on her own, USA would never have entered war. France would never have been free.( Russia victorious or not ??)

As for your general apparent dislike of uk...Its been my experience the French don't even like themselves. Natives of south France generally dislike northern French, none like Parisiens and Catalans want out...
I don't think accusing uk of bullying is helpful and hardly respectful especially at 100 yr anniversary of Somme where literally thousands upon thousands of bullying Brits laid down their lives in an effort to save French ones. The Somme's primary objective was to relieve pressure on the French.

Suspect you are perhaps showing your own racist tendencies. Accusing a nation of bullying ???
Yikes Flud and here i was thinking og may be being too hard on you. The uk could have done something much more meaningful and proactive than the selfish conditional crap it gave the EU for years. I'm not french,im a mixed race african. In my experience the french dont hate each other. Theyre pretty cool,a little too hedonistic and perhaps sometimes parochial,but theres a reason most of the world love France,its a great place. UK's ok too, voting brexit most definitely was not. Dont really know what else to say,think arguing about logistics in ww2 a bit too off topic.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
That's rather different to calling us all bullies... And agree more with it...Anglo Saxon temperement can be interpreted as you see it..
But there is part of brexit that was about a jingoistic - even racist - fantasy about english nationalism. For a uk outside the major trade blocks in the world that fantasy will disolve quickly. Without eu membership countries like china will rapidly make it clear to the uk who needs who.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

Well done Flud, as usual way off topic and not even accurate on your historical facts
A) Strange that you think that our Bullying had nothing to do with Brexit when it has been used as a means of trying to pressurise the EU into bending to our will to gain advantage over the other member states right from the day we joined.

B) the Materiel we sent to Russia was far too small an amount and often of inferior capability when faced with the Russian winter, than justified the lives of our people lost in sending it.
C) America only delayed entering the Second World war even though it knew that inevitably it would end up doing so, as we proved a handy way of waging war on their behalf while they fleeced us blind and reduced us to penury as they had during the first world war.
It suited them very well to see the British brought down low.

As to that utterly stupid paragraph alleging that thousands of British soldiers fought in an effort to save the French, the Somme battle was long planned before Verdun , as a secondary advantage it did serve to help the French, and that was very much in our own interests, as had they been defeated our own defeat would have followed shortly.
My Grandfather by the way fought on the Somme and it never occurred to him he was as you put it,"Fighting to save the French"
Was yours there?

Sorry but you really should not accuse anyone of being racist then make these racist remarks against the French, each and every time you comment.
Finally you clearly have no idea of the extent that the British have bullied all and sundry nations throughout our long and often sordid history.

Still hiding behind the ignore button as usual?

• Agree
Reactions: derf

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's rather different to calling us all bullies... And agree more with it...Anglo Saxon temperement can be interpreted as you see it..
Well now Flud Anglo Saxon Temperament eh? and now you are an expert on that?
How many Anglo Saxons do you think there actually are in the population?
The last I heard it was about 30%
And here's a bit you won't like
"People living in southern and central England today typically share about 40% of their DNA with the French, 11% with the Danes and 9% with the Belgians, the study of more than 2,000 people found. The French contribution was not linked to the Norman invasion of 1066, however, but a previously unknown wave of migration to Britain some time after then end of the last Ice Age nearly 10,000 years ago."
How disappointing to find so many French among us eh?
We are Europeans and only an idiot would believe otherwise.
What we did in the past was deplorable and that's a simple truth.

• Agree
Reactions: derf and flecc

Advertisers