Brexit, for once some facts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Apparently the Channel Islands are not part of the UK or the EU
That is correct, they are not in Great Britain, Britain, the UK or the EU.

They are Crown Dependencies, as is the Isle of Man and the Virgin Islands.

This means they don't contribute to the UK and are fully self governing, but the UK looks after their defence and provides international diplomatic services.

They are also tax havens for the wealthy, so all in all not a bad deal.

Reactions: robdon

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Another attack on the public, this time in Switzerland. I'm have absolutely no doubt whatsoever that a set of synthetic circumstances will be constructed to convince us all that the perpetrator is a Swiss National (whatever that means these days), and or, that he suffers from a mental illness.
Well,Swiss and not of immigrant background
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37072847
But don't let the facts get in the way of prejudice..

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Nice to see some action being taken against bitter remain bullies...pitty cant on here.
Can anyone explain what Flud is on about? the comment is as usual completely off topic and it makes no sense.
Now it seems he thinks he is being bullied? and that after all those personal and Francophobic attacks?
Still hiding like a sniper behind the ignore button, Flud?

Last edited:

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It would be reassuring to know that the country's future is in safe hands as we crawl toward 'freeing ourselves from the tyranny of EU oppression'.......I think that was how the 'Brexit' campaign was described at one point in a daily rag.

Sadly, we have that chap by the name of Wayne Kerr overseeing our transition from EU member to 'Free..dawm!' as Willie Wallace shouted bravely in that classical piece of Hollywood miscasting. No, I know that wasn't his real name; it was Mel Gibson. Equally, Wayne Kerr isn't the real name of the other fella, I have come to understand....that's just how he's known in parliamentary circles; by everybody in Scotland and probably millions of other people too on both sides of the "Brexit' debate. In reality, (a place he's never been to), he is the member for North Somerset, Dr Liar Fox.......well, that's not quite correct but it's close enough!

Clearly, from the events of Friday last, honesty, integrity and transparency don't apply to the Wayne Kerrs of this world but why should they? When you possess the power to make things disappear and can lie through your teeth without any facial tic or twitch to give the game away, you don't need all that information, knowledge and honesty baggage.

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/08/incompetent-liam-foxs-dept-deletes-press-release-after-making-big-brexit-eu-admission/

Tom

Reactions: robdon and trex

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
It would be reassuring to know that the country's future is in safe hands as we crawl toward 'freeing ourselves from the tyranny of EU oppression'.......I think that was how the 'Brexit' campaign was described at one point in a daily rag.

Sadly, we have that chap by the name of Wayne Kerr overseeing our transition from EU member to 'Free..dawm!' as Willie Wallace shouted bravely in that classical piece of Hollywood miscasting. No, I know that wasn't his real name; it was Mel Gibson. Equally, Wayne Kerr isn't the real name of the other fella, I have come to understand....that's just how he's known in parliamentary circles; by everybody in Scotland and probably millions of other people too on both sides of the "Brexit' debate. In reality, (a place he's never been to), he is the member for North Somerset, Dr Liar Fox.......well, that's not quite correct but it's close enough!

Clearly, from the events of Friday last, honesty, integrity and transparency don't apply to the Wayne Kerrs of this world but why should they? When you possess the power to make things disappear and can lie through your teeth without any facial tic or twitch to give the game away, you don't need all that information, knowledge and honesty baggage.

https://politicalscrapbook.net/2016/08/incompetent-liam-foxs-dept-deletes-press-release-after-making-big-brexit-eu-admission/

Tom
He works on the well worn principle that no matter how stupid the Tory politicians are and behave , the majority of voters are even worse and will always vote for them if you scare them a bit.
Simples!

• Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Well,Swiss and not of immigrant background
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-37072847
But don't let the facts get in the way of prejudice..
Indeed, "a Swiss man aged 27" Thanks for that incredibly candid insight into this would-be killer.

I just wonder if by any remote possibility this is BBC speak for, he is from who knows where, having done goodness knows what.

I'm pretty sure that within a few days he will be a "victim".

Last edited:

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Indeed, "a Swiss man aged 27" Thanks for that incredibly candid insight into this would-be killer.

I just wonder if by any remote possibility this is BBC speak for, he is from who knows where, having done goodness knows what.

I'm pretty sure that within a few days he will be a "victim".
I did some of an internship on a forensic unit,twenty years ago. The process by which individuals are assessed to have been responsible for an alleged offence (ie not insane) and able to stand trial is thorough and objective ( in the southern hemisphere based on a diagnostic system called the DSM4, in UK the ICD10) and very specific parameters. And it's not in my experience very sympathetic to offenders. But I also genuinely believe stirring up anti refugee sentiments is very much in ISIS interests. The last thing they want is a compassionate world standing together against them.

Reactions: oldgroaner

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Did someone say he was an immigrant? I was careful in my post not to make that assumption.

Are you, pre-judging, or prejudicing, the situation by having that thought?
I was quoting the words in the article ( "swiss and not off immigrant background"), these attempted smears are getting a bit tedious.

• Agree
Reactions: Croxden

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I did some of an internship on a forensic unit,twenty years ago. The process by which individuals are assessed to have been responsible for an alleged offence (ie not insane) and able to stand trial is thorough and objective ( in the southern hemisphere based on a diagnostic system called the DSM4, in UK the ICD10) and very specific parameters. And it's not in my experience very sympathetic to offenders. But I also genuinely believe stirring up anti refugee sentiments is very much in ISIS interests. The last thing they want is a compassionate world standing together against them.
Many years ago, in a previous employment, I had to confront a man in a house with a butchers knife. He was gripping the blade tightly in one hand and pulling it through his fingers by the handle with the other hand, causing severe cuts. His eyes were rolled into the back of his head so all I could see where the whites of his eyes, no pupils. All the time he was saying, I need help, I'm going to kill.

Eventually, he was taken to a place of safety and later interviewed and examined by a team of mental health experts. The conclusion of the experts was that there was nothing wrong with him and that he was perfectly sane. He stamped by complete stranger two days later. Fortunately the victim wasn't killed.

Forgive me for forming the opinion that these so-called forensic mental health experts live in cloud cuckoo land and have no grip on reality. These "experts" are a danger to both themselves and the general public.

derf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2014
Many years ago, in a previous employment, I had to confront a man in a house with a butchers knife. He was gripping the blade tightly in one hand and pulling it through his fingers by the handle with the other hand, causing severe cuts. His eyes were rolled into the back of his head so all I could see where the whites of his eyes, no pupils. All the time he was saying, I need help, I'm going to kill.

Eventually, he was taken to a place of safety and later interviewed and examined by a team of mental health experts. The conclusion of the experts was that there was nothing wrong with him and that he was perfectly sane. He stamped by complete stranger two days later. Fortunately the victim wasn't killed.

Forgive me for forming the opinion that these so-called forensic mental health experts live in cloud cuckoo land and have no grip on reality. These "experts" are a danger to both themselves and the general public.
I think you're blaming the wrong professional. He sounds a sociopath who should have been locked up. I.e. a criminal responsible for his behaviour,not mentally ill. That sounds a failure of policing. Back as an intern I sat through many cases where temporary insanity ("emotional automatism") was used by defence to get sane murderers off murder charges. That was wrong too but a failure of the legal system,not forensic psychiatry.

• Agree
That's a bit like saying you are more likely to be injured walking barefoot over shards of broken glass than you are walking barefoot over red hot coals, so we should do both. Of course the sensible solution is not to do either, sweep up the glass and throw cold water on the coals.
No you're totally wrong with this analogy. What its like is living in broken glass, and having no problem with it. Actually considering it "normal" and it being what you expect and accept on a day to day basis...

Then when you stumble across one hot coal in your carpet of broken glass going mental about the "risk" and "danger" of that hot coal.

Reactions: derf

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think you're blaming the wrong professional. He sounds a sociopath who should have been locked up. I.e. a criminal responsible for his behaviour,not mentally ill. That sounds a failure of policing. Back as an intern I sat through many cases where temporary insanity ("emotional automatism") was used by defence to get sane murderers off murder charges. That was wrong too but a failure of the legal system,not forensic psychiatry.
Exactly my point, cloud cuckoo land.

I guess the cops were powerless to lock him up under the mental health act or for his own safety after the experts ruled him to be sane. The diagnosis fatally weakens the police's hand. That just leaves a very very thin, threats to kill charge, for which he would not be remanded in custody even if the charge was accepted. Especially if a defence solicitor quoted the nut-job expert's diagnosis.

I've had no mental health education, all of my academic training has been in sciences and engineering. However, I do know that slicing your own hands to pieces with a large butcher's knife is not consistant with a pattern of behaviour shown by a sane and rational human being. I don't need training to be able to identify this.

As I say, these self appointed experts present a grave danger to themselves and the public. They are almost as insane as the people they are supposed to be spitting. Perhaps that's the problem.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Croxden

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
No you're totally wrong with this analogy. What its like is living in broken glass, and having no problem with it. Actually considering it "normal" and it being what you expect and accept on a day to day basis...

Then when you stumble across one hot coal in your carpet of broken glass going mental about the "risk" and "danger" of that hot coal.
I think it's greatly more than just one hot coal and why risk getting burnt as well as cut, or risk complicating the treatments of the cuts with unnecessary burns?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015

However it has to be said that ignoring their opinion because of a single experience of yours would be rather more dangerous, as they have an average level of success that you personally cannot match , even though you are in your own estimation apparently an expert on the subject.
Not a convincing argument, Tillson, not by any means
"These "experts" are a danger to both themselves and the general public."
They are in fact all we have to deal with these individuals, and attempt to treat them, unless of course you are suggesting a lynch mob is a better idea?
Let's assume you aren't, so what are you suggesting?

• Agree
Reactions: derf

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
That's ironic from you derf.
Well done Flud, on the credit side you didn't attack the French.... pity about accusing derf of impersonating you though:D

Has anyone worked out what flud's post
"Nice to see some action being taken against bitter remain bullies...pitty cant on here."

actually meant? or is he just having a "turn":eek:

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and derf

Advertisers