Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I live in the EU in a country called France. As an immigrant from outside the EU with status of Resident I have to carry at all times an ID card which must have my current address. Every time I move I have 8 days to update the card. In theory an out of date card can lead to expulsion. I have been living under those conditions for about 40 years with no negative impact on my health... :rolleyes: Now that the card is the same size as my bank card I am loving it! :)

If you want to fix the Euro get rid of corruption. Greece has had an economy for much longer than Germany if my history lessons taught me well. It is one of the most corrupt countries in Europe, ditto Italy and Spain. Then we have the Ireland and Luxembourg issue which are tax havens for the worlds multinational corporations. If you are incorporated the tax rate on earnings in the country you operate in should be the same for all companies or special deals for all not only the rich and powerful. When I am elected finance minister small companies will be in a lower tax bracket than large companies as it is with wage earners, the less you earn the less you pay. Or to look at it in another way, the harder you work the less you pay - ask any crafts-person working 60 hour weeks what they think of that deal.
I still have my UK identity card somewhere from 1945.
Do you know, I have NEVER been asked to present it
Have you still got yours? anyone?
(There's no picture on it , perhaps they hadn't invented them back then?)

Reactions: robdon

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The fun continues
"
Theresa May tells cabinet ministers to call US in wake of Trump 'Muslim ban'
Home Secretary Amber Rudd and Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson have been calling the US on Sunday

Something like this perhaps.
"We cannot condone this action, it could damage the arms contracts we have with these nations.
Not cricket old chap!"

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
The fun continues
"
Theresa May tells cabinet ministers to call US in wake of Trump 'Muslim ban'
Home Secretary Amber Rudd and Foreign Secretary Boris Johnson have been calling the US on Sunday

Something like this perhaps.
"We cannot condone this action, it could damage the arms contracts we have with these nations.
Not cricket old chap!"
My guess that this is for internal UK consumption only seeing that we have so many Muslims.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The onus is still on us to find a country that we can deport the person to and to ensure that his/her family is not split as a consequence. Furthermore, we have to provide a mean for him/her to support their family in the new country.
We could record the country entered from on the Welcome card. It wouldn't matter if it was another EU country since the preceding country is the liable one under the rules. They in turn can shunt back further if the evidence of entry origin exists.

The ECB supports mutualisation of eurozone sovereign debts, either directly through insurance or indirectly for example by providing unlimited liquidity to Greek banks against dodgy greek government bonds. A two-tier Euro will not be acceptable to countries like Greece or the accession countries because their borrowing cost will rocket. Eurozone countries are 'bribed' into the Euro because of low borrowing cost in the first place.
So perhaps a two part EU, each with it's own currency version of the euro, instead of an internal two part euro?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
1) true
2) brexit may lead to two-tier EU in a generation. The second tier would comprise EFTA countries and Russia.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson and flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
What Trump is showing us what would a UKIP government would look like in the UK. Farage was on the TV earlier,he supported and defended pretty much everything Trump is ordering.
What is also evident is that Trump hasn't thought these orders through,he has had to backtrack on US green card holders and dual passport holders and special cases.
Over 16 Attorney Generals and hundreds of human rights lawyers are sure that the orders are undemocratic and illegal. Thank goodness we are very unlikely to see a UKIP government in the UK,I would hate to see a Trump style government here,Theresa May is about as right wing as we can stomach.
700,000 petitions and climbing fast to stop Trump coming here,make sure you sign up,it will soon be millions,this guy is hated after one week in office.
KudosDave

Last edited:
  • Agree

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
What Trump is showing us what would a UKIP government would look like in the UK. Farage was on the TV earlier,he supported and defended pretty much everything Trump is ordering.
What is also evident is that Trump hasn't thought these orders through,he has had to backtrack on US green card holders and dual passport holders and special cases.
Over 16 Attorney Generals and hundreds of human rights lawyers are sure that the orders are undemocratic and illegal. Thank goodness we are very unlikely to see a UKIP government in the UK,I would hate to see a Trump style government here,Theresa May is about as right wing as we can stomach.
KudosDave

Without getting into personal opinions surrounding what Trump is doing, he made certain pledges and promised before being elected. He then went on to win the US presidential election, presumably because voters supported his views.

He now faces two choices. He can either carry out what he promised to do, or he can break his promises. I suspect that a similar level of criticism will be sent his way regardless of what he does.

The fact is, he has been voted into office and he is wasting no time in carrying out his stated intentions.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Without getting into personal opinions surrounding what Trump is doing, he made certain pledges and promised before being elected. He then went on to win the US presidential election, presumably because voters supported his views.

He now faces two choices. He can either carry out what he promised to do, or he can break his promises. I suspect that a similar level of criticism will be sent his way regardless of what he does.

The fact is, he has been voted into office and he is wasting no time in carrying out his stated intentions.
Yeh,that is exactly what Farage said earlier on,it's what America voted for so he is delivering. It's not so much what he is doing,although I don't approve of his policies,it's how and when he does it. He could have discussed amongst his legal team and forewarned that he would act in maybe 2 months time. But there are people who are on holiday in Costa Rica and cannot transit through JFK,there are people who are returning to their children in the US and being stopped in Dubai....that is cruel.
Trump has just had to do a big U turn,he will have to realise soon that running a country requires more diplomacy and care,at the moment he is a bull in a china shop.
Paul Nutter was on the box saying that he agreed with Trump's attitude to torture,Trump has now changed his mind,UKIP should not partner too closely with Trump,despite what Farage suggests and hopes.
KudosDave

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: oldtom and robdon

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Hats off to Warren Mitchell.
He really was a Jew, but also a professional actor.
Of course, those were times when he probably felt quite safe playing Alf Garnett with all the bigotry.

Reactions: oldtom

Apprentice

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2017
Ireland
I keep logging in to pedlecs to gain a bit of knowledge bike related
But im compelled to read the latest of this brexit thread,
Im not half as articulate or knowlegable as you folks on the situation ......
But what are the facts ....is the world f#%ked should i stock up on tinned tuna and iodine
Or just get a few beers in ,chillax and wait for the next installment of crazy world events.

• :D
Reactions: robdon and flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Mr Trump is crude but I'd say, he has cojones.
I reckon the US Justice Department will sort out the mess in a few days. Nobody has the answer to how to maintain the free movement of people in a world where terrorism has the potential to strike in any place.
Let him try extreme vetting for a week or two.

Last edited:

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Might be an odd question from a leaver , but considering the close vote of the referendum why on earth is Corbyn insisting his MPs vote for invoking art 50 ?
If I were a remainer I,d be perplexed...at least...seems a strange interpretation of democracy.

• Agree
Reactions: Danidl and flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
But what are the facts ....is the world f#%ked should i stock up on tinned tuna and iodine
Or just get a few beers in ,chillax and wait for the next installment of crazy world events.
The world usually steps back from what seems to be the brink of disaster, when we then realise it wasn't the brink after all. Just normal daft human behaviour.

So chilling with the beers is fine.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Mr Trump is crude but I'd say, he has cojones.
I reckon the US Justice Department will sort out the mess in a few days. Nobody has the answer to how to maintain the free movement of people in a world where terrorism has the potential to strike in any place.
Let him try extreme vetting for a week or two.
Noticed report of quite an ironic tweet from political commentator Kim Kardashian...apparently according to stats she found muslim immigrants have been responsible for the sum total of 2 American deaths.
I do think we should keep our noses out of other countries politics but we,ve reached a new level when Kim Kardashian seems to find more objectivity than president of USA ???
I,m hopinng he,s just making waves, new broom and all that..whilst he,s upsetting KK he ain't newking China..

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Might be an odd question from a leaver , but considering the close vote of the referendum why on earth is Corbyn insisting his MPs vote for invoking art 50 ?
If I were a remainer I,d be perplexed...at least...seems a strange interpretation of democracy.

I think Jeremy Corbyn is a closet leave supporter. I get the impression that he has never been keen on the idea of the EU.

• Disagree

Advertisers