Brexit, for once some facts.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
From the Star
"
Tory manifesto 2017: Theresa May lays out plan for 'Britain's toughest time in 60 years'
TORY leader Theresa May was booed by protesters as she arrived in Halifax to launch the Conservative manifesto.
And the mad woman said
"

“The next five years are the most challenging that Britain has faced in my lifetime”

Theresa May"

Then here is some really good advice, resign after cancelling Article 50 if the EU will let you
Otherwise you will find your words more Prophetic than you intended them to be.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
'Brexit' seems to have been placed on the back burner for the moment while the tories attempt to lie their way into another term of government.

That being the case, it is worth examining some of the manifesto issues they are using to attract votes. I cannot get past this one, about which the web blogger, AAV, speaks against quite vehemently:

http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2017/05/the-tory-dementia-tax.html

Tom

• Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Seems that Theresa May is feeling in such a strong position she can cast aside the grey vote,normally its old people who can be relied upon to vote so thats a dangerous game...
This domestic social care deal is a stitch up...we are now being asked to fund our own domestic social care from the equity left in our homes...they are sugaring it by saying we can keep £100,000 now in place of the old £23,000.
Does that also apply to residential care?
The government are scrapping the winter fuel allowance for all except the very poor,but refuse to say what the threshold point is?
They are abandoning the triple lock on pensions.

Social Care and the NHS can easily be funded by a turnover (revenue) tax on all big businesses....this would ensure that Google,Starbucks,Amazon pay their fair share....the tax could be discounted against the normal corporation tax so there is no advantage of exporting profits to low tax/no tax countries but it makes sure all pay their fair share....but all these governments seem frightened to take on big business.

Corbyn should have political dynamite with this lot but he just doesn't have it.

It seems that Labour will kill off business,the Tories will hit the savings of the olds,the Liberals ??????
For once I dont think I will bother to vote.
KudosDave

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: tillson

tigerbay

Just Joined
Apr 17, 2017
South Wales
www.gofundme.com
workers like these you mean?

A great many universities have been feeling the pinch of Austerity and Theresa May's anti-student immigration policies for years now. Brexit is set to hit them even harder.

Many will be cutting staff.

We have seen Heriot Watt, Aberystwyth and University of South Wales all announce 100s of job cuts in recent weeks where they blamed Brexit.. Now we see that Durham is launching a voluntary redundancy scheme too.

https://www.dur.ac.uk/hr/policies/vs/
To be fair, Uni South Wales (Formerly Uni Glam) was forced to do so by the regulator for many reasons currently being investigated, and not because it has been 'hit hard' (It also lied about having to cut and close jobs at Caerleon campus when it took over Uni Newport despite reservations from students & staff, along with various other cuts it initially said it wouldn't do - all to fund clapped-out Trefforest Polytech) - Micky Mouse degrees for alot of money and taking advantage of international students is all I will say on that one.

As for Aberystwyth and the rest, yes they are having a horrible time of it and they don't deserve to be cut down - tories pillaging the education system and then destroying it utterly is no way to provide for a country which sorely needs many skillsets and potential enterprises to be incubated and nurtured

• Agree

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Social Care and the NHS can easily be funded by a turnover (revenue) tax on all big businesses....this would ensure that Google,Starbucks,Amazon pay their fair share....the tax could be discounted against the normal corporation tax so there is no advantage of exporting profits to low tax/no tax countries but it makes sure all pay their fair share....but all these governments seem frightened to take on big business.
such tax exists already, it's the VAT.

the tories are brave - it must be hard to fight an election with so few and little giveaways in their manifesto.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016

the tories are brave - it must be hard to fight an election with so few and little giveaways in their manifesto.
Just realists. Still think Labour could win this...if they changed stance on defence, Brexit and Nuclear power. Corbyn is too straight laced to be a politician...sad but true...How can a honest bloke compete with a set of lying ones. He cant.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com

No,you are wrong.....VAT is value added tax,it is easy for big companies to avoid......
So as to explain more....if a company turnover is say £20 million,an average profitable company should be paying corporation tax of say £1million. If the same company was exposed to a revenue tax of say 3%,£600,000.
Then the £600,000 would be discounted from the £1million,so the 'honest company' would pay £600,000 revenue tax plus £400,000 corporation tax,total still £1 milliion.
But the big businesses who currently export their profits to avoid corporation tax,may have a calculation,turnover say £200 million,currently paying just £0.5million corporation tax. They would be exposed to a revenue tax of say 3%,£6million,they would then have to 'top up' their tax pay by £5.5 million.
The revenue tax would be impossible to avoid because the turnover is declared on the VAT return....very easy tax to collect.
And very political because we all hate these multi national companies who export their profits and dont pay their fair share....would have been a good tax for Labour.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
.if a company turnover is say £20 million,an average profitable company should be paying corporation tax of say £1million
it depends very much what the product is, may be if they sell hamburgers and chips. If they sell financial derivatives, their margin is under 1%.
CT is a very complex area. If the company and shareholders are all UK based, then the net result does not depend much on CT rate.

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
it depends very much what the product is, may be if they sell hamburgers and chips. If they sell financial derivatives, their margin is under 1%.
CT is a very complex area. If the company and shareholders are all UK based, then the net result does not depend much on CT rate.
It matters little what you sell....if we trade we all have to pay business rates,insurance,wages....this is just another overhead of a business....but it ensures that everyone pays their fair share.
Anyway,its not going to happen we are currently faced with a choice of untrustworthy,unelectable and unbelievable....
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
This may be true or it may simply be a made-up piece of pro-Corbyn propaganda but it is most unusual in my experience to find someone who has been subjected to the British military's brainwashing programme to give his backing to the Labour Party.

This writer on mainstream social media seems to feel quite strongly after his experiences in various theatres that Corbyn has it right with his policies and would prove to be a good PM.

Here is what he has to say:

From Rowan McCallum, an ex soldier supporting Jeremy Corbyn and Labour, who believes the country is safer with Jeremy as the PM...........

"I will be voting Labour on 8th June.

As a veteran of Her Majesty’s Armed Forces for seven years, I served in Iraq, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar and remotely worked on Kosovo, Sierra Leone and Afghanistan. So, my backing Corbyn may be a surprise to many people.

Please allow me to explain why, as a soldier and an intelligence analyst, I believe Jeremy Corbyn isn’t a threat to national security, but a massive asset as compared to PMs May and Cameron.

Firstly, let me emphasise I have not always supported Labour. I have failed to be inspired by any party leader since John Smith. One of my final acts before deploying to Iraq was to post my party membership card back to PM Blair, explaining why: whether or not there were weapons of mass destruction to be found, there was no long-term plan that would invoke any kind of stability in the country, we were expected to “improvise, adapt and overcome” while the people became more and more angry that there was no delivery on the promises made by our politicians and fundamentalist clerics came over the border from Iran to take advantage of the power vacuum and disenchantment. Incidentally, May also voted in favour of "liberating" (invading) Iraq.

As many in the intelligence community predicted, this situation created the environment for ISIS to replace Al Qaeda as the main Islamic Terrorist threat. After all, we had just cut the head off the Al Qaeda snake; it was searching for another one and we gave it ideal conditions to thrive.

Since then, our Tory government has treated most refugees as sub-human, assaulting them with apparently no recourse, building more fences, arrest and detention without trial, skewed interpretation of reports as to the safety of their homelands, deportation of some to face certain death, destruction - even criminalization - of basic life support services for refugees in northern France denying them food , shelter, medical care, community and reneging on agreements like the Dubbs amendment.

The Conservatives' chronic lack of compassion, understanding or caring about the lives of people from the Middle East and other places has only served to produce more terrorists; while at home cuts to public service budgets, benefits and the health service have resulted in the deaths of several people and many more lives have been put at risk without reducing the overall budget deficit at all. They have also slashed Arts funding to the extent it barely exists, even the great British Bulldog Churchill refused to cut arts funding in favour of the 2nd World War effort. His response? “But then what would we be fighting for?”

Jeremy Corbyn has been smeared spectacularly since becoming leader of the Labour party, being called a Marxist for advocating policies that would have been normal only a few years ago, and are still considered quite centrist in most other European countries. Even the Independent described his manifesto as radical, but that is more a barometer of the right leaning nature of our press than it is of his policies. Blamed for crushing a cameraman’s foot when it was a police officer at the wheel and clearly the cameraman’s fault. Reports of his having been arrested for supporting the IRA are false. He wanted peace and advocated talking instead of shooting or internment without trial, yes he talked to terrorists, so did Major and Blair. He was arrested for obstruction while peacefully protesting the legal process as it was being applied. He wasn’t even charged with anything, let alone found guilty, and I believe we’re still innocent until proven guilty in this country.

It is actually Corbyn’s activist past that gives me faith in him. Far from being a dangerous wafty hippie, his policies are plausible, sound and well thought out. It’s the man’s ability to stand up for what he believes is right, and his ability to survive snipers from both within and without his own party that makes me believe he has both the courage and conviction to be a great leader.

If you think otherwise it is because he has been relentlessly slandered by the media,corporations and his colleagues, who are actually terrified of his ability to lead and to change things for the better for us and the worse for them. He’s even been criticised for saying that he would be cautious about using the nuclear deterrent. Thinking twice before going ahead and vaporising a few thousand civilians? That’s a mark in his favour if you ask me."

Tom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Brexit has become what I predicted all along, and will eventually end as I predicted too.
Shame so few listened isn't it?
The Slogan I would recommend for Brexit Voters is
"Vote for the Government you have earned and deserve"
The Goodness will flow, and we know where it will flow to, don't we?

And I thought and maintained all along that the Electorate was simply misinformed, but now if they Vote the Torys in, even after they have explained what they intend to do, my previous assumption was clearly more mistaken than I thought the Brexit Voters were.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc and oldtom
The Conservative's Twitter account was terrifying last night, would be funny if they weren't potentially going to be leading this country again soon. The fact they bottled the debate, but were challenging the other parties from behind the sofa at the Conservative HQ was not lost of most of Twitter.

Some small changes to highlight the irony that they clearly missed.

Zlatan

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2016
Brexit has become what I predicted all along, and will eventually end as I predicted too.
Shame so few listened isn't it?
The Slogan I would recommend for Brexit Voters is
"Vote for the Government you have earned and deserve"
The Goodness will flow, and we know where it will flow to, don't we?

And I thought and maintained all along that the Electorate was simply misinformed, but now if they Vote the Torys in, even after they have explained what they intend to do, my previous assumption was clearly more mistaken than I thought the Brexit Voters were.
You,ve been on your enenoma machine again haven't you.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
It never ceases to amaze me how gullible the British people really are. The tories and their media wing in particular have known this for years and that is why they continue to deliver their distorted message knowing that they will continue to get away with it!

This is just one recent example:

18556395_1559920314047876_4994793103323156655_n.png

Judging by some of the twitter comments recently, it appears that some people, even across the great Atlantic ocean, manage to see through the lies, hype and hyperbole - Danny De Vito, for one..........

18558924_451613738517352_9203200685613071671_o.jpg

Tom

• Agree

Advertisers