Brexit, for once some facts.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Was it floating over houses of Parliament? Or just sat in some field waiting to be admired by passers by...
Thanks for vote of confidence, forum needs taste police sometimes. I accept the post.
Cost effective, it looks much better than blimp in that department. Blimp cost some fools £5k to build and £2K each filling.. apparently so badly made it went down after 2 hours and needed filling again.
Me thinks somebody had their leg lifted.
The only part of this sequence of postings where i can agree with you Zatlan is where you decry the use of helium gas... It is a scarce resource needed for NMR machines.
A substantial number of people in London were objecting to his presence ( Mr trump not Mr Kahn). They selected a method which was humourous,(to some) and probably offensive to a few... But it must be acknowledged that the person most likely most offended, has no difficulty in dishing out offensive , personal insults to anyone,including the then US President...
As a protest , It was very successful. I would believe that Mr Trump would have imagined himself travelling up the parade from horse guards, probably in a coach with the full trapping of horse guards troops, into Buckingham palace.

Reactions: robdon

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Trump comes from the home of the first amendment:

Full Text of the First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Do you not think that, just possibly, it would run foul of the 1st for anyone in the USA to stop such a display of opinion?

If it would be inherently legal in the USA, why should we be any less allowed to express our opinions?
The blimp goes beyond free speech. It carries no message and addresses no specific policy or decision. It is simply an effigy intended to insult, humiliate and cause hurt. The fact that it is endorsed by The Clown Prince of London aggravates the situation.

If a group wishes to oppose Trump or protest against his presence in the U.K. they should do so via placards, PA systems, marches, media and other such routes.

Deliberate insult is not and never will be what free speech is about. The two are not compatible with each other.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Both situation are calculated and intended to cause hurt & humiliation. One via a racial theme, the other by being demeaning. It’s the intent which is unacceptable, not the means. In both cases, I profoundly disagree with the principle of a group of people planning, funding and executing a plan to deliberately hurt and humiliate another person. The situation is aggravated when the target is the elected leader of another country who has been appointed in accordance with the electoral rules of that nation.

So to answer your question, no I don’t see any difference. In both scenarios I see people making a determined effort to hurt, demean and humiliate. Both equally bad.
Someone help me with this, how is it possible to demean a creature like Trump, when he is self demeaning to start with?

And why is tillson so against Trump being "demeaned and insulted"
Yet at the same time sees no hypocrisy in heaping insults on Sadik Khan?

And we have the forum pound shop version of Homeland security coming to give a sermon?, the very same person who heaped ordure on officials in the EU?

Come on you two, you are making yourselves look even dafter than I know you really are. (if possible):p

Thank you for the comedy input.

• Agree
Reactions: Wicky and robdon

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
Trump comes from the home of the first amendment:

Full Text of the First Amendment

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Do you not think that, just possibly, it would run foul of the 1st for anyone in the USA to stop such a display of opinion?

If it would be inherently legal in the USA, why should we be any less allowed to express our opinions?
Well we are not in the USA and as far as I know, there is no separation of state and the church in our laws, in fact some of them are in the Lords purely because they are religious, in the Lords Spiritual, so the first amendment means nothing in parliament square.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The blimp goes beyond free speech. It carries no message and addresses no specific policy or decision. It is simply an effigy intended to insult, humiliate and cause hurt. The fact that it is endorsed by The Clown Prince of London aggravates the situation.

If a group wishes to oppose Trump or protest against his presence in the U.K. they should do so via placards, PA systems, marches, media and other such routes.

Deliberate insult is not and never will be what free speech is about. The two are not compatible with each other.
ER hang on a minute...you posted "The Clown Prince of London"
and this too
"Deliberate insult is not and never will be what free speech is about. The two are not compatible with each other
The mind boggles at gymnastic convolutions of the logical process involved that links those two comments so seamlessly.

Satire at it's best. Top man.

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
Someone help me with this, how is it possible to demean a creature like Trump, when he is self demeaning to start with?

And why is tillson so against Trump being "demeaned and insulted"
Yet at the same time sees no hypocrisy in heaping insults on Sadik Khan?

And we have the forum pound shop version of Homeland security coming to give a sermon?, the very same person who heaped ordure on officials in the EU?

Come on you two, you are making yourselves look even dafter than I know you really are. (if possible):p

Thank you for the comedy input.
I think it’s quite a difference between calling anyone a big baby, and flying a blimp depicting them as a baby.

• Agree
Reactions: tillson

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
surprised it didn't actually fart or something... Trump... Its that level of humour
Have you given a thought to the fact that since it only took two hours for the blimp to go down, it may well have given a faint "fart" in the process?

Had the design been left to an engineer like myself who prided himself on "Covering all the bases" I would have fitted a microphone, powerful amplifier and speaker to make sure the maximum symbolic effect was given to the public.

Had the budget been restricted, a Whoopee cushion effect could surely have been cheaply achieved with a simple "mod" to the inflation point.

That's what engineers are for, if you can't improve a design (or at least raise a laugh when it goes belly up) you aren't a real engineer

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
ER hang on a minute...you posted "The Clown Prince of London"
and this too
"Deliberate insult is not and never will be what free speech is about. The two are not compatible with each other
The mind boggles at gymnastic convolutions of the logical process involved that links those two comments so seamlessly.

Satire at it's best. Top man.
My remarks regarding Khan carry a message, I believe that the man behaves like a clown, that he’s a fool and a chancer. That has been my point all along. The blimp carries no message, it’s just something for the weak minded to laugh at in a similar way that weak minded people used to laugh at Love thy Neighbor and The Benny Hill Show.

• :D
Reactions: oldgroaner

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
My remarks regarding Khan carry a message, I believe that the man behaves like a clown, that he’s a fool and a chancer. That has been my point all along. The blimp carries no message, it’s just something for the weak minded to laugh at in a similar way that weak minded people used to laugh at Love thy Neighbor and The Benny Hill Show.
Rather like a Brexit promise hmm? then it should have huge appeal among what did you call the class of people "the great unwashed?"

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Well we are not in the USA and as far as I know, there is no separation of state and the church in our laws, in fact some of them are in the Lords purely because they are religious, in the Lords Spiritual, so the first amendment means nothing in parliament square.
So you think that we should indeed be more restricted in our expression than those in the USA?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
If it carries no message then there is no offense given is there?
In fact of course there is a clear message, and alas an accurate one too, but for the life of me I can't think why anyone in this country would leap to the defence of an odious individual like Trump who regards himself as having a holy right to insult everyone his imagination perceives as a personal enemy.
He is after all only being treated with the contempt he treats others.

• Agree
Reactions: robdon and oyster

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
How many millions who watched these shows have you just insulted by referring to them as "weak minded"?
And at the same time don't like Trump being "insulted"? :rolleyes:

Reactions: robdon and oyster

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
There certainly is as it seems to have upset you, bit of a plus really.
Not upset at all, I never claimed I was upset over it, I manage to think it demeaning to Trump, a step to far for the Mayor of London to sanction, in that it demeans the office he holds,, I think Trump is a **, and a narcissist, but I won’t be flying a blimp to show Trump in narcissist pose, nor will I contribute to a fund,

I am not surprised that you think me upsett though, but sorry to dissapointed you.

Reactions: Zlatan

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
So you think that we should indeed be more restricted in our expression than those in the USA?
I don’t think anything of the sort, I now that,

We in the UK are more restricted in what we can say or do, by law, than they are in the USA, we are a different country, we don’t have a first amendment.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Not upset at all, I never claimed I was upset over it, I manage to think it demeaning to Trump, a step to far for the Mayor of London to sanction, in that it demeans the office he holds,, I think Trump is a **, and a narcissist, but I won’t be flying a blimp to show Trump in narcissist pose, nor will I contribute to a fund,

I am not surprised that you think me upsett though, but sorry to dissapointed you.
Not upset? then what made you bother to mention it? just a random reaction?
You haven't disappointed me, your reaction was anticipated and predictable.
The sort of thing "Official disapproval" one would expect a Government spokesman to offer.

Reactions: Zlatan and robdon

ianboydsnr

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Cumbria
Not upset? then what made you bother to mention it? just a random reaction?
You haven't disappointed me, your reaction was anticipated and predictable.
The sort of thing "Official disapproval" one would expect a Government spokesman to offer.
I wasn’t aware of the rule that says you can only comment if something upsets you, you really are too black and white, maybe like everyone I just fancied giving my opinion, or am I not allowed opinions, you seem to fire opinions off the hip all the time, why can’t I do the same?

• :D
Reactions: oldtom

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I wasn’t aware of the rule that says you can only comment if something upsets you, you really are too black and white, maybe like everyone I just fancied giving my opinion, or am I not allowed opinions, you seem to fire opinions off the hip all the time, why can’t I do the same?
Of course you are more than welcome to express any opinion that takes your fancy, as are we all and your criticism of my attitude is not without merit, the last thing I would want to do is discourage you from expressing yourself.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Advertisers