Brexit, for once some facts.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That was and is inevitable. There are people allergic to everything. It doesn't mean that the British were wrong in releasing the vaccine. It is probable that the Oxford one will affect different people, so in time a mix and match strategy will be adopted. Going back 60 years, I remember the tests for the BCG and that people were looking to see if they would take or react..I don't recall whether getting blisters was a good or bad outcome.
The Heaf test (pre-BCG) was to see if you reacted - that is, had already been exposed to TB.

Blisters were unpleasant and excluded you from receiving the BCG. They would (at least sometimes) send you for a X-ray to see if there was any evidence in the lungs of previous infection. If so, repeat X-rays every year, at least for a while.

• Informative
Reactions: flecc

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
That was and is inevitable. There are people allergic to everything. It doesn't mean that the British were wrong in releasing the vaccine. It is probable that the Oxford one will affect different people, so in time a mix and match strategy will be adopted. Going back 60 years, I remember the tests for the BCG and that people were looking to see if they would take or react..I don't recall whether getting blisters was a good or bad outcome.
I think there will be much interest as to whether these two already had any exposure to the Covid-19 virus. Given them being NHS staff, it is probably more likely than the general public. (Though possibly being a beer-swilling, shouty football "fan" is more of a risk.)

• :D
Reactions: POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Honda has had to shut down production due to parts delivery problems. This is due to delays at ports.

There is no way that company is going to stay in the U.K.
That decision was made long ago and they are already gradually shutting down. The future is electric only cars and theirs for here will only be made in Japan.

• Agree
Reactions: wheeler and oyster

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
With a down-to-the-wire brexit negotiation, with the interruptions politicians' visits always cause, with ports failing to operate, with the Irish Sea border utterly confused, the bumbling idiot wastes a bit of time, his and the hospital staff's:

Boris Johnson says he visited Guys and St Thomas’s hospital in London yesterday to see the vaccine being administered. He thanks all the scientists and volunteers and staff who made this possible.

wheeler

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2016
Scotland
Nice to see the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge spreading a little cheer. The care and health workers seemed delighted to see them.

Perhaps Sturgeon and Gething should support their future King and show more respect.
Perhaps the Strathearns could have respected the mandatory travel restrictions currently in place in Scotland, those of us living here have to.
Their trip cannot be described as "work".
I visited a hospital today and asked some of the workers there if their morale had been boosted by the Strathearns' visit. The most common response was "Aye, right".

• Informative
Reactions: oyster and flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
There still seems to be a lack of clarity on how this covid vaccine will work as a whole. Firstly no one seems to know if someone who has been vaccinated is still asymptomatic - Second, can you still catch the virus but with no effect on you because you are vaccinated - Third, (and this has got me into a very heated discussion with a friend) as the virus can be passed around by touching an object that has been contaminated like say a paper cup for example, then surely it matters not whether the person handling that object has been vaccinated or not. They themselves will be ok but the cup is still contaminated is it not, being vaccinated doesn't mean everything you touch becomes clean as if touched by the hand of God. I'm having great difficulty getting that view across to anyone who thinks otherwise, maybe I'm wrong but I'm not seeing it.

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
Second, can you still catch the virus but with no effect on you because you are vaccinated - Third, (and this has got me into a very heated discussion with a friend) as the virus can be passed around by touching an object that has been contaminated like say a paper cup for example, then surely it matters not whether the person handling that object has been vaccinated or not.
"No effect" might be too strong. If you get exposed to the virus, I suspect it can start to affect you but your immune system should see it off - having been primed to recognise it. Don't know how long that might take but I can see it being under as few hours at best.

Patently obvious the cup can still pass it on. But how did the cup get exposed? From you, the vaccinated person? Or by someone else entirely?

If the latter, just install robotic arms everywhere. The robot cannot suffer Covid-19 and is effectively immune. So pass the cup from you, tot he robot, from robot to friend. No possibility of transmission. Umm, maybe not... :)

oyster

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2017
West West Wales
How is this going to work?

Gove confirms some businesses in Northern Ireland will still be bound by EU law under new plan

Liam Fox, the Conservative former international trade secretary, if the new agreement will allow for any direct application of EU law in Northern Ireland.

Gove says, under the agreement, there will be a requirement on some businesses in Northern Ireland to follow the “acquis” (the body of EU law). He says this is necessary to prevent a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland.

If the businesses fail to follow, who will be able to act against them? NI courts? Or EU courts? Or some bizarre fudge?

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There still seems to be a lack of clarity on how this covid vaccine will work as a whole. Firstly no one seems to know if someone who has been vaccinated is still asymptomatic - Second, can you still catch the virus but with no effect on you because you are vaccinated - Third, (and this has got me into a very heated discussion with a friend) as the virus can be passed around by touching an object that has been contaminated like say a paper cup for example, then surely it matters not whether the person handling that object has been vaccinated or not. They themselves will be ok but the cup is still contaminated is it not, being vaccinated doesn't mean everything you touch becomes clean as if touched by the hand of God. I'm having great difficulty getting that view across to anyone who thinks otherwise, maybe I'm wrong but I'm not seeing it.
I go along with you point regards regarding cups etc. Even if you are protected ,but your hands are contaminated, yes you remain a vector . But the good news is that the stuff on the cup has a limited lifetime, before becoming inert. The virus needs fresh susceptible hosts to survive and prosper..that is the magic of the R number.
By increasing the number of non or less susceptible hosts, the pool of infection drops and drops. The tragedy is we did not do this months ago ,by simple quarantine and isolation, before the residue of infection passed into the mammal wildlife.
The logic suggests that vaccinated people should not be asymptomatic carriers .

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and POLLY

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If the businesses fail to follow, who will be able to act against them? NI courts? Or EU courts? Or some bizarre fudge?
Our own UK laws administered by Northern Ireland and overseen by the UK government. Theresa May's Great Repeal Bill meant all previous EU law accepted by the UK remains permanently in force as UK law until each law is individually removed, replaced or amended by parliament.

The complex interleaving and cross referencing in law effectively means this almost always affects new regulations too.

This isn't objectionable to the UK since it still consists of the UK enforcing UK law, so retaining full sovereignty.

As many of us have so often said, in practice Brexit in name only.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
There's all sorts of different scenarios you could conjure up, take the humble Postman/Woman as a good example.
They have to touch hundreds of pieces of mail ever day but if vaccinated will be safe however the mail they deliver isn't, some must be contaminated and if you yourself have no protection...well.
I suppose the Gov, Health Service etc will say all the more reason to get vaccinated then you have no worries.

Reactions: POLLY and oyster

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
There's all sorts of different scenarios you could conjure up, take the humble Postman/Woman as a good example.
They have to touch hundreds of pieces of mail ever day but if vaccinated will be safe however the mail they deliver isn't, some must be contaminated and if you yourself have no protection...well.
I suppose the Gov, Health Service etc will say all the more reason to get vaccinated then you have no worries.
Again ,the viability of the virus drops off with time,and infection probability is proportional to load . So lets say the Postie, has 300 letters and 3 infected ones, they do transfer 1/100 of the load to each, each then decays with half lives depending in whether it is paper or plastic envelopes. The level of infection will depend on how long they are in the delivery system ,with time being a great healer.. Then when they arrive, leave them a few hours. As Tesco says every little helps

Reactions: Woosh and POLLY

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Wow, I am at one level enjoying the gyrations of Grove in the HoCs as he squares a circle and he spirals inwards regarding the NI protocol. A man for all season,as he leaves hostages to fortune at every turn.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
Again ,the viability of the virus drops off with time,and infection probability is proportional to load . So lets say the Postie, has 300 letters and 3 infected ones, they do transfer 1/100 of the load to each, each then decays with half lives depending in whether it is paper or plastic envelopes. The level of infection will depend on how long they are in the delivery system ,with time being a great healer.. Then when they arrive, leave them a few hours. As Tesco says every little helps
Infections will over time drop to a level which could be assumed as safe and I suppose "normal" I would imagine they'll always be pockets of infection that will appear from time to time in odd spots of the world and they would need to be stamped on quickly.

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I'm reading Sky News reporters Kay Burley, Beth Rigby, Sam Washington and Inzamam Rashid have been temporarily booted off of reporting at Sky for going on a bender/party of some sort.
Adam Bolton has referred to them all as morons, all is not happy at Sky :D

• Informative
Reactions: oyster

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
take the humble Postman/Woman as a good example.
They have to touch hundreds of pieces of mail ever day but if vaccinated will be safe however the mail they deliver isn't
I suppose the moral is, get a vaccinated person to lick your Xmas card envelopes.

Reactions: RossG

Advertisers