Bromptom Coversion Kit

oakeyspokey

Just Joined
Feb 19, 2014
Hi All,

I'm looking to convert my Brompton so am on the hunt for a used 80mm wide motor on an 16" rim and possibly a controller and throttle. I am on the brink of forking out for a new sparticle motor but though I'd throw a shout out first to see if anyone had any for sale and maybe get some advice along the way. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!,

Tom

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
I bought one of the nano ones and just sold it at a massive loss :( .. now I know more about ebikes I think the brompton kits are lifting peoples legs a bit..
Too dedicated to keeping the folder concept and once I got it I really didn't like the bag-on-the-front or the widened forks (it is a nice kit tho).
Sooner or later when funds allow and I can face riding the Brompton over the rubbish paths to work I'll get some 100mm forks from Kinetics and fit a full-fat 100mm 400 RPM hub from Em3V.

ETA I now have a spare MXUS 36v controller, ebrakes (levers complete) and a throttle if it's any good, make me an offer..

Dawn Daykin

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 2, 2014
I found that Bromptons hold their value enough to sell mine and have a new one converted from scratch, I did have teething problems( I think the nano 2 is at a relatively early stage in production) but I feel it was a good move, I never knew about the forks ! ( they just sorted it) it would have worried me on my old frame, the bag on the front is great , but the extra weight on the front end is a shock at first ( I have the bigger battery) . Once you are used to the whole concept though a brompton with a motor is a joy :D

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
Having seen the BBS01 or 02 crank drive systems now I know I'll have to have go at one of these on it, although I'll probably have to up the gearing somehow. Did see somewhere that the torque is ridiculous on the 16" wheels. :)

Tangsoo

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2014
What's the tooth count on that BBS02? If it's 44 it's just about do-able looking at the calculator here. It looks like a 100" + gear is possible.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I have a few spare narrow 80mm wide (tiny spreading required for a Brompton) motors at the moment if someone wants me to make them up a kit. Either a Tongxin 290RPM or the smaller Keyde 260RPM motors. I can lace them into Brompton 16" rims and provide controllers, throttles, cutout brakes. Both my new Tongxin and Keyde motors have 28H drilled flanges so I can use the old and new standard Brompton rims :)

I can also do all the above for 20" wheels as well :)

Black Keyde (drilled 36H) in a 20" rim on my Dahon Duo. In fact I am thinking of selling this bike either as it is or putting it back to its stock form. Two speed Duo fitted with motor weighs 14kg plus bag with controller and battery.

Tongxin 80mm 36V 290RPM (faster than the 260RPM motors in a 16" rim) laced into a Brompton 16" rim

Actually I am also thinking about selling this 2009 Brompton M3L converted with brand new Tongxin 290RPM motor as well :) If not I will be putting it back to stock and listing it on Ebay.

I pretty much use my supper lightweight 11.5kg with motor, Brompton M2L Ti (Keyde) all the time now :)

PM me if interested.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Having seen the BBS01 or 02 crank drive systems now I know I'll have to have go at one of these on it, although I'll probably have to up the gearing somehow. Did see somewhere that the torque is ridiculous on the 16" wheels. :)
46 tooth seems the most common but there is a 48 I think, regarding changing the ring there is a custom spider available now from third parties that will allow normal ring gears to be used.