"Brompton weighs in on better battery laws to clamp down on eBike fires "

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What perfect record? There was this one at Nissan HQ, the one in Texas and 4 in Ukraine.
The one in Texas was due to a fire in 12 volt battery ancillaries circuit, just like those in IC cars. Leaf fires in the USA and FOUR in Ukraine? Strange they don't happen where the Leafs are mostly sold. Perhaps they were like the non-existent EVs that didn't cause the multi story car park fires.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
ESF's proposal is a direct appeal for a licence to make money. Certification would clearly inhibit new businesses and technologies entering the market and importantly it's still in question whether it would make batteries any safer.

I reckon ESF did themselves no favours with their Dangerous E-Bike Chargers report claiming that "An incorrect plug is a sign that the charger has not been adequately tested". Very often overmoulded power cables are supplied that are probably separately sourced for the countries a retailer serves, and ESF didn't test a single one of these 'unsafe' chargers or establish which cable UK customers receive.

NB a proper mains plug is essential (link).
It's also a blatant power grab attempt. Charities shouldn't be allowed to operate like this.

We should get writing to our MPs about ESF's proposal.
I wonder how the Charity Commission would respond to many people making complaints - they can cause oodles of trouble for charities, we forced one to shut down about 30 years ago. I can't go into details, that particular charity couldn't either.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
"consider the installation of heat alarms where charging points are located in a garage or kitchen. "

Finally! :rolleyes:

They'll get here eventually:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/home-ruination-by-ebike-battery-fire-expulserating-preterminator%E2%84%A2%C2%AE%C2%A9%E2%84%A0.46934/#post-708613

(I'll update this terribly boring video at some point, with another slightly less terribly boring better edited video - Vimeo allows you to replace videos, unlike Youtube. Apologies to Richard Strauss for the butchering of his lovely music)

Last edited:

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023
"Seven bikes all in one room meant a hugely accelerated fire"
"The battery was on charge alongside six other similar bikes in the living room of the property, South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service (SYFRS) said."

https://www.facebook.com/YappAppNews/videos/e-bike-horror-fire-sees-three-rushed-to-hospital-in-sheffieldthree-people-have-b/973623494350746/

Last edited: