byocycle folding bike

kenny d

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 5, 2023
My niece dropped her bike off the other day saying it won't go and could i have a look at it. Its a byocycle 20" folding bike. After checking battery and connections etc I checked the controller using a multimeter and found the Blue motor wire at fault. When turned on the display lights up with battery level full and i'm able to set the 3 assist levels but no go on the motor. I ordered a controller from ebay with the same spec as the old one but now when i turn on the battery level states low and after 10 secs all lights flash and it turns off. The controller I ordered is a" KT" type so do I need a display that is compatible ? Thanks

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
My niece dropped her bike off the other day saying it won't go and could i have a look at it. Its a byocycle 20" folding bike. After checking battery and connections etc I checked the controller using a multimeter and found the Blue motor wire at fault. When turned on the display lights up with battery level full and i'm able to set the 3 assist levels but no go on the motor. I ordered a controller from ebay with the same spec as the old one but now when i turn on the battery level states low and after 10 secs all lights flash and it turns off. The controller I ordered is a" KT" type so do I need a display that is compatible ? Thanks
Yes, it must be a KT LCD with a KT controller.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
KT do some nice displays and there are plenty to choose from, she will notice the difference in power and rider control with the five power levels and the different power in each level. She will be able to attain the same max speed in each power level and have better control of how much power is delivered.

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
So after ordering a kt display off ebay and waiting 3 weeks for delivery i now have a different problem. Display works fine, battery level correct, modes all good. Motor turns at slow speed when boost button pressed but there is no pedal assist on any modes. Any ideas .

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Have you set up all of the P and C settings?

Try peddling backwards to see if the pas kicks in and then set C1 accordingly.

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
Have you set up all of the P and C settings?

Try peddling backwards to see if the pas kicks in and then set C1 accordingly.
Hi, sorry I don't understand. How do you set p and c

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
Oh I see. The display I bought was a kt led 880 so has minimal settings and I thought would work out the box. I put a multimeter on 1 of the 3 wires going to the motor on boost and I'm getting 3v but no voltage on assist when turning the pedals.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The pedal assist might be switched off in the settings. I think you can adjust some parameters with the 880, so download the manual and find out how to do it.

Did you test whether the motor works with a throttle? If you don't have one, use a paper clip to short the red to the signal wire in the throttle connector, which should make the motor spin up to maximum speed, so be careful.

Which pedal sensor do you have?

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
The pedal sensor is the original byocycle one . Magnets on a ring on the crank type

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
The pedal sensor is the original byocycle one . Magnets on a ring on the crank type
Check that the connector wires match. It's very common for the connector to fit, but the wires are in a different sequence. It should be red to red, black to black and signal to signal.

Do the throttle test before anything, otherwise you might be looking in the wrong direction.

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
So this morning I've shorted the throttle connector and the motor spins. Is there a way you can bypass the pedal assist just to check if a voltage can be read on the 3 thick wires going to the motor.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
So this morning I've shorted the throttle connector and the motor spins. Is there a way you can bypass the pedal assist just to check if a voltage can be read on the 3 thick wires going to the motor.
You can't read the voltage on the motor power wires. It's 3-phase a/c.

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
Oh okay. I am getting 3v dc on either the blue,green or yellow when on the boost 6kph mode just thought I should see a voltage when crank turning.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You need to check the pedal sensor signal wire pulses with 5v when you turn the pedals slowly. measure between signal and ground. If it pulses, you have a wrong setting in the controller. if it doesn't, you have the incorrect wire sequence.

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
I've checked the pedal sensor wires. I'm getting only 0.3v-0.4v when turning slowly. I have 5v on the red wire to earth. As I've changed the controller and the display to a kt type I guess I need to change the pedal sensor to a kt type.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Check your pas wiring before changing the sensor. The pin connections won’t necessarily be the same as on your old controller and KT controllers aren’t that fussy on what pedal sensor is used.

Most KT controller wiring for PAS is Red = 5v, Black = 0v, Yellow = signal.
The wiring colours on PAS sensors aren’t standardised, so can be anything.

Did you try peddling backwards to see if the pas triggers in reverse?

Last edited:

kenny d

Sep 5, 2023
Yeah I have tried the pas sensor with the wires either way. On one way I get a red light on and a pulse when the magnets go over the pick up . Wired the other way the red light stays on constant. No assist forward or backwards.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
If the red light is flashing and you get a 5v pulse then it’s wired up and working properly.

The problem that you have now is that you are unable to configure the controller with your display.

The controller may be set to PAS 0, so peddle assist and throttle won‘t work.

Advertisers