soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
MOFO means "Mother F***er";)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
rat dog :D

they shred anything it gets it paws on n you try take it away fkn no chance n got 8 of um :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul smith

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I really should add this thread as I started it, but just for now....Gubbins, would you believe that those moth shots were taken using one of these. :)

http://www.trustedreviews.com/Fujifilm-Finepix-F11-review

You wouldn't believe just how scratched battered and worn that the camera is now. I can't even see the image on the back screen any more. My one hate of the camera, was that it had no viewfinder.

Sadly my phone doesn't seem to take very good photos, but always carry at least a pocket point and shoot with me. Working outside for a living, I guess that I am in some ways spoilt. You were very brave person to take on wedding photography. :)
Dont be fooled ,I am far from a pro .. I knew some one whos photographer took their money and legged it a few days before the wedding and as it was too late to get another I stepped in. The end result was really good, in fact much better than some we saw on the net and pretty soon people were knocking on my door.
Over time I learned two important lessons which the photo below clearly demonstrates. (Shot on a Fujji Finepix.
1/ never edit the original.. saving under a new name is fine but how many edits can you save before they start to get lost?
2/ Shoot in Raw . I save my Raw files to a dedicated drive on my PC and any changes made to them are reversible, whereas my train pic below has been ruined and as the original was a jpeg there is no way back..
Duchess of Southerland 04 (Shap)_edited copy-1.jpg

Phil Millership

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 1, 2017
West Midlands
Dont be fooled ,I am far from a pro .. I knew some one whos photographer took their money and legged it a few days before the wedding and as it was too late to get another I stepped in. The end result was really good, in fact much better than some we saw on the net and pretty soon people were knocking on my door.
Over time I learned two important lessons which the photo below clearly demonstrates. (Shot on a Fujji Finepix.
1/ never edit the original.. saving under a new name is fine but how many edits can you save before they start to get lost?
2/ Shoot in Raw . I save my Raw files to a dedicated drive on my PC and any changes made to them are reversible, whereas my train pic below has been ruined and as the original was a jpeg there is no way back..
View attachment 17584
Hi Gubbins, I hope you won't mind me adding to your comments ref camera files. "Most" cameras (not all though) produce really good jpeg files these days. The important point you quite correctly made was to keep the original files whether RAW or jpeg. Any editing should be saved with a new name so that you always have the original to go back to. As a rule don't re-edit a jpeg that has already been edited. As you point out the quality gets degraded each time a new jpeg is saved. Whilst RAW files give you more control they are much larger file sizes so can be difficult to handle. Also… you will sometimes need more complex software to open a raw file. If you are shooting professionally and perhaps are still learning… like you impromptu wedding! Shoot raw as any mistakes in exposure or colour temperature can usually be fixed. If you are shooting for fun… jpegs should be fine. Hope that helps a little more. Your train shot is a cracker by the way.

• Informative
Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi Gubbins, I hope you won't mind me adding to your comments ref camera files. "Most" cameras (not all though) produce really good jpeg files these days. The important point you quite correctly made was to keep the original files whether RAW or jpeg. Any editing should be saved with a new name so that you always have the original to go back to. As a rule don't re-edit a jpeg that has already been edited. As you point out the quality gets degraded each time a new jpeg is saved. Whilst RAW files give you more control they are much larger file sizes so can be difficult to handle. Also… you will sometimes need more complex software to open a raw file. If you are shooting professionally and perhaps are still learning… like you impromptu wedding! Shoot raw as any mistakes in exposure or colour temperature can usually be fixed. If you are shooting for fun… jpegs should be fine. Hope that helps a little more. Your train shot is a cracker by the way.
Hi Phil
No worries add away.. modern cameras have a bewildering array of settings and I am sure those that are just watching will be glad of any pointers. I consider that particular image to be one of my bad ones and only keep it to remind me of what I did. Originally it had overhead wires and other artifacts and I spent many enjoyable hours removing them, and now many years on, if only I had the original.....

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
That is something else to sort out. A decent place to host photos.
I was a member of a sort of on line photo club for a while.. I think it was a Facebook thing made private to the club ... challenges with a topic are a good idea but it soon got out of hand with some members over posting too many Images.
I think it could be interesting if anyone has the time and inclination to do it, but rules would need to be decided on. For example.. a weekly subject could be water with members only allowed one image with everyone else voting on them. Someone posting a dozen pics of windermere sort of spoils it..
Well, that's my view..

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ and flecc

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Someone posting a dozen pics of windermere sort of spoils it..
Well, that's my view..
And a score of muddy bike pics. That's my opinion.;)

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Sorry Gubbins you have misunstood me when I said about the hosting.

What I actually meant was, the best place to upload them to, before adding images to say a forum. Like Photobucket, Postimage, imageshack etc.

But in line with your comment, I did used to belong to an online club/forum sub section, and they would have a monthly photo completion, which I frequently won. I worked out at a very early stage, that as the voting was public, the way to win was not necessarily by the merit of the photo, it was the title that you might have used.

Take this one for example, which might not be the considered the best of shots, but the title was "Pause and reflect" Sadly I can't remember what the theme was though.

I recall using "In flight refuelling" for the Humming Bird Hawk moth.

It is also strange how the dullest of subject can also sometimes make for an interesting choice. If someone said take a photo of a multi storey car park for example, you would more than likely cringe at the idea.

Oddly, this is one of my favourite photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: flecc

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

What I actually meant was, the best place to upload them to, before adding images to say a forum. Like Photobucket, Postimage, imageshack etc.

But in line with your comment, I did used to belong to an online club/forum sub section, and they would have a monthly photo completion, which I frequently won. I worked out at a very early stage, that as the voting was public, the way to win was not necessarily by the merit of the photo, it was the title that you might have used.

Take this one for example, which might not be the considered the best of shots, but the title was "Pause and reflect" Sadly I can't remember what the theme was though.

It is also strange how the dullest of subject can also sometimes make for an interesting choice. If someone said take a photo of a multi storey car park for example, you would more than likely cringe at the idea.

Ah. Clarity...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I worked out at a very early stage, that as the voting was public, the way to win was not necessarily by the merit of the photo, it was the title that you might have used.
Very true, I've seen this happen very often.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

Apologies if anyone thought I was grumbling about the plethora of muddy bike photos.. I honestly thought the OP was suggesting a non ebike related photographic topic..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Something different from taking a 15mm long insect back home with me:

These are the parts responsible for the click beetles huge jumping ability which is equivalent to a human jumping about 60 feet vertically from a standstill. The beetle is upside down here, the prong is on the thorax, the grooved plate on the head. At a sign of danger the prong is inserted into the recess of the plate groove, the muscles tighten to tension the two together and then the beetle straightens again to part the two. With the pressure between the two, release when it comes is violent, the prong and plate tips striking the surface with force propelling the beetle into the air. When the beetle is inverted as here, escaping is the same, but it's the tips of the head and abdomen that strike the surface to propel it up.

And below the amazing eyes and sensory organs of a crane fly:

Reactions: EddiePJ

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, you have just reminded me of this little bug/creature that I spotted a few years ago.

Quite an amazing sight to see at the time.
Beautiful! One of the Lymantriidae moth caterpillars. I can't see enough of it to be absolutely certain of the species, but it looks like the green form of the Pale Tussock moth larva, Calliteara pudibunda.

Advertisers