Carrera vulcan crank sensor.

BlueMoon2371

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 15, 2019
South Yorkshire
Hi all . I have the Carrera Vulcan which in my opinion is a cracking bike and does a great job for the £1000 paid from Halfords. One little niggle though that is bugging me is few weeks to a month depending in usage it develops a stutter at the motor which I am led to believe it's the motor momentarily cutting off and on again. A quick removal of the sensor on the back of the chain wheel and a spray of citrus degreaser and it's good to go again. Anyone else heard if this problem? Surely it's not a maintenance norm to have to do this on a regular basis as the back of the chain wheel is sealed from the outside elements.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Reactions: Bikes4two

BlueMoon2371

Jan 15, 2019
South Yorkshire
It is not sealed, mud and debris will collect inside the torque sensor and cause corrosion and malfunction. There's a thread on here showing it stripped. If you ride off road alot, it is a good idea to strip and clean it once in a while.
Hi Pete. I have stripped it down for a good clean only around a month ago after using it on a very muddy trail so find it strange that it needs doing regularly. The muddy trail was a one off and the rest of the time it's just used on the road or light off road use. When i said it's sealed I mean a low level protection rubber gasket so probs debris can still get in I suppose.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Didn't realise you had already been in there, so you know the score. I wouldn't expect it to need stripping too often, but if a spray of cleaner once in a while sorts it out, then I shouldn't worry too much. It poss. needs a bit more attention at this time of year.

BlueMoon2371

Jan 15, 2019
South Yorkshire
Didn't realise you had already been in there, so you know the score. I wouldn't expect it to need stripping too often, but if a spray of cleaner once in a while sorts it out, then I shouldn't worry too much. It poss. needs a bit more attention at this time of year.
I'm probably expecting a little bit too much from it then tbh Pete. I was contemplating taking it back and saying I'm not happy with having to do this and paying to and getting the crank powered Voodoo Bizango but at a £1000 more maybe I'll just get the citrus out now and again. Be interesting to hear how other Carrera users are getting on with theirs

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome
It would bug me but as long as your happy and it’s a simple fix just ride and enjoy:)

Reactions: BlueMoon2371

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
There aren't really any other systems simular to yours to compare it with, the Crossfire is the same. The simple PAS system that many people run with, although very exposed, don't have moving parts like yours, so don't really need any attention, apart from cleaning mud from the magnetic disc. The Voodoo, has a Bosch motor, so all of the electronics are inside the motor cover.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Mud, dirt and sand are OK. What isn't OK is dirty water, like you get on wet winter roads saturated in salt. The water is thrown up by the front wheel straight onto the crank, where it creeps in through the gaps. You need a proper mudguard with a flap or extender to keep the water down, or you need to make some sort of guard in front of the crank to deflect the water. Alternatively, don't ride when the roads are wet.

gottagofasta

Just Joined
Oct 2, 2021
I have found a way to make the Carrera Vulcan engine move without pedalling by making it think I am pedalling.

Cut the wire from the PAS sensor, Reconnect all the wires beside black, Connect two long wires to green and black and then to a momentary switch, When you press the switch it'll send a signal that you've pedalled once and assist, You have to then keep pressing the switch repeatedly it'll keep giving you power all the way up to about 16mph on a flat.

I have bought a BD139 Bojack transistor, To try and make the signal repeat by itself just by holding the momentary switch down.

The only downside is that when you stop you get E22, You can fix it by turning off and then back on the display, I am going to test to see if having the black wires connected works and stops that error, I will post again if it does.

The switch I'm using https://www.amazon.co.uk/RUNCCI-YUN-Normal-Momentary-Button-Pre-soldered/dp/B07ZTJ4882/ you need a cheap wire cutter stripper tool from wickes, Heat shrink tubing, I have just been twisting the wires tightly together, Then taping it up with electrical tape.

But with this, I can use the Carrera Vulcan without pedalling at all, My PAS sensor isn't attached to the crank, But it shouldn't make a difference even if it is.

This is great solution if you develop a problem with your PAS sensor

Attachments